The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat May 26, 2012, 11:26pm
Official Forum Member

Methods for limiting length of an inning

My Ump group does about 9 different Rec. Council softball programs. Each wants a length limit on each inning until we get to the last inning. The prevailing (2) are 10 batter limit, where you cant walk #10 or have an HBP- and the inning ends with ANY out being made once #10 hits the ball. OR a 5 run with the possibility of 8 runs actually scoring and the inning ends when out #3 is made. We tried a hardcore 5 run limit PERIOD but the coaches did not like it. So I'm asking if you know of a better way ?
Old Sun May 27, 2012, 06:36am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNDALKCHOPPER View Post
My Ump group does about 9 different Rec. Council softball programs. Each wants a length limit on each inning until we get to the last inning. The prevailing (2) are 10 batter limit, where you cant walk #10 or have an HBP- and the inning ends with ANY out being made once #10 hits the ball. OR a 5 run with the possibility of 8 runs actually scoring and the inning ends when out #3 is made. We tried a hardcore 5 run limit PERIOD but the coaches did not like it. So I'm asking if you know of a better way ?
I try to avoid all of those. HOw about a lead limit?
Do they also have a time limit on the game? That is the best way.
Old Sun May 27, 2012, 07:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
We use 7 runs per inning. After 7, change sides. In last inning of the game, (6 innings 10U, 7 innings 12U and up) there is no limit.

A 7 inning game is rare, and a treat! We usually get 3 innings in a 1:30 time limit!
Old Sun May 27, 2012, 09:26am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to MNBlue
Quote:
We tried a hardcore 5 run limit PERIOD but the coaches did not like it.
Coaches don't like much of anything. Decide on something that they all complain about equally and you probably have a pretty good system.

NFHS, NCAA, NAFA
"If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule?" Anton Chigurh - "No Country for Old Men"
Old Sun May 27, 2012, 03:33pm
Official Forum Member

Standard in our area is 3 run limit in first 3 innings (that forces a team being blown out to get around the batting order because you will play at least 4), then 8 run limit thereafter.