The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 19, 2002, 04:43pm
Official Forum Member

I've noticed lately that it seems like there are an elite few questions that seem to get asked repetitively on this board. Has anyone ever thought that maybe the way that officials are learning the rules and case book plays may be flawed?

I know in the Cleveland area, there is, well, shall I say more than person who teaches an officiating class every year. I was lucky enough to choose the better one (by blind luck!), but it's amazing how often people in my area acknowledge myself and other individuals who have taken that class. Not that I'm tooting my own horn or anything, but even locally it seems like there is an obvious distinction between one class and another - mainly in mechanics.

I know in some states (PA, I believe) that you don't even have classroom instruction! All you have to do is pass a written test! Here in Ohio, I think you have to have X amount of classroom hours before you're even allowed to LOOK at a written exam

How 'bout all yunz guys? What methods were you subjected to when learning this advocation?
Old Thu Dec 19, 2002, 05:03pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb Not very common it seems.

Quote:
Originally posted by Danvrapp

I know in some states (PA, I believe) that you don't even have classroom instruction! All you have to do is pass a written test! Here in Ohio, I think you have to have X amount of classroom hours before you're even allowed to LOOK at a written exam

How 'bout all yunz guys? What methods were you subjected to when learning this advocation?
In my experience, most states do not require a classroom setting before you officiate. That is not the case in Illinois. Not the case in Iowa (at least it wasn't), not the case in Indiana and not the case in Wisconsin. And according to all the other states that have test, I think having to be required to take a class is the minority. I could be wrong, but all you have to do in most regions is take a test.

In Illinois all we have to do to maintain our license is go to a Rules Meeting every year, take the Part 1 and get 80 or higher, and every 3 years go to a 4 Hour Camp (no floor work). That is it. Now most assignors have a requirement that you belong to someone's Official's Association, but it is not required by the State in order to officiate in the State.

Peace
Old Thu Dec 19, 2002, 05:55pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Ron Pilo Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Pilo
We require an 8 week course (1 night each week) of classroom and floor work to become an apprentice in our group. We try to get some scrimmage work in there as well. This is not a requirement of the state (Washington), however our groups is considered one of the top groups in the state year after year. (If we had DJ we'd be even better)Once the season starts our apprentices are required to attend classroom discussion for 45 minutes before our general membership meetings. This allows them to opportunity to raise questions and discuss situation that have happened to them in the past couple of weeks. Works great for us.
Old Thu Dec 19, 2002, 06:05pm
Official Forum Member

I do not think that Alaska has a state requirement. But, When I lived in Anchorage.....You were required to attend acertain amount of meetings prior to the season, Rules Clinics, Floor Clinics, If you were new you attended a Rookies clinic. If you were in your first three years, you may have to attend other clinics(depending of previous years evals).

Where I live now....We hold meetings and we have several high school scrimmages that newer officials are encouraged to attend to run the court as well as being shadowed.

AK ref SE
Old Thu Dec 19, 2002, 06:06pm
Official Forum Member

I'm also in Washington. There is no classroom requirement in this state, but like Ron, we have several pre-season orientation sessions for our new officials that include classroom and floor work (including getting some young teams to come in for actual scrimmages). At each of our general meetings during the year, we require our new officials to come one-hour early for "on the floor" mechanics and game scenario training (we're lucky in that the building we meet in has a small gym). Two of the six officials that we sent to the various level state tourneys last year got chosen for the championship game.. and as soon as Ron Pilo comes to his senses and heads north about 30 miles, we'll be an even stronger association. :-)

Z
Old Fri Dec 20, 2002, 05:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman
I'm also in Washington. There is no classroom requirement in this state, but like Ron, we have several pre-season orientation sessions for our new officials that include classroom and floor work (including getting some young teams to come in for actual scrimmages). At each of our general meetings during the year, we require our new officials to come one-hour early for "on the floor" mechanics and game scenario training (we're lucky in that the building we meet in has a small gym). Two of the six officials that we sent to the various level state tourneys last year got chosen for the championship game.. and as soon as Ron Pilo comes to his senses and heads north about 30 miles, we'll be an even stronger association. :-)

Z
Z-Man: If Ron needs to move 30 miles north, you must be near Everrette. I was stationed at Whidbey Island and my son lives in Olympia -- Love the NW.
Old Fri Dec 20, 2002, 05:37pm
Official Forum Member

dblref,

I just had a boy's game at South Whidbey High School in Langley on Tuesday night. The ferry captain must have been drinking cuz' we damn near took out a few pilings when we hit the dock in Clinton. :-)

Z
Old Fri Dec 20, 2002, 07:02pm
Official Forum Member

In Cal. which covers Nev. and Haw. I believe requires 15 hrs of classroom for vets. every year and 20 for first year.80% on test and floor competency.
Old Sat Dec 21, 2002, 01:40am
Official Forum Member

Instructor's Commitment

The instructor's commitment to quality
instruction and his level of knowledge will
determine how well-trained the staff will be.
I officiated HS ball in San Diego, CA for more than
15 years and know that their training could be improved
upon. Just because officials attend 10 classes
(80% attendance required)for an hour or two does
not guarantee quality instruction.
I own a service business that assigns year round to
more than 30 facilities.
I reap the benefit of producing officials who have been
given much material on rules, mechanics, and philosophy.
This is accomplished by (1) ordering rulebooks,
(2) creating a printed training packet, (3) publishing
a weekly newsletter via the internet, (4) quizzing regularly, and (5) mentoring veterans who in tuen, mentor rookies.
Old Mon Dec 23, 2002, 08:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman
.. and as soon as Ron Pilo comes to his senses and heads north about 30 miles, we'll be an even stronger association. :-)

Z
Ah, then methinks I used to be in your association too...