The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Methods for limiting length of an inning (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/91382-methods-limiting-length-inning.html)

DUNDALKCHOPPER Sat May 26, 2012 11:26pm

Methods for limiting length of an inning

My Ump group does about 9 different Rec. Council softball programs. Each wants a length limit on each inning until we get to the last inning. The prevailing (2) are 10 batter limit, where you cant walk #10 or have an HBP- and the inning ends with ANY out being made once #10 hits the ball. OR a 5 run with the possibility of 8 runs actually scoring and the inning ends when out #3 is made. We tried a hardcore 5 run limit PERIOD but the coaches did not like it. So I'm asking if you know of a better way ?

CecilOne Sun May 27, 2012 06:36am

Quote:

Originally Posted by DUNDALKCHOPPER (Post 843562)
My Ump group does about 9 different Rec. Council softball programs. Each wants a length limit on each inning until we get to the last inning. The prevailing (2) are 10 batter limit, where you cant walk #10 or have an HBP- and the inning ends with ANY out being made once #10 hits the ball. OR a 5 run with the possibility of 8 runs actually scoring and the inning ends when out #3 is made. We tried a hardcore 5 run limit PERIOD but the coaches did not like it. So I'm asking if you know of a better way ?

I try to avoid all of those. :( HOw about a lead limit?
Do they also have a time limit on the game? That is the best way.

JEL Sun May 27, 2012 07:14am

Quote:

We use 7 runs per inning. After 7, change sides. In last inning of the game, (6 innings 10U, 7 innings 12U and up) there is no limit.

A 7 inning game is rare, and a treat! We usually get 3 innings in a 1:30 time limit!

MNBlue Sun May 27, 2012 09:26am

Quote:

We tried a hardcore 5 run limit PERIOD but the coaches did not like it.

Coaches don't like much of anything. Decide on something that they all complain about equally and you probably have a pretty good system.

AtlUmpSteve Sun May 27, 2012 03:33pm

Standard in our area is 3 run limit in first 3 innings (that forces a team being blown out to get around the batting order because you will play at least 4), then 8 run limit thereafter.