The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Sep 16, 2006, 07:53pm
Official Forum Member

NFHS Officiating Baseball Methods

Has anybody seen this on nfhs.org? Is this worth getting for $75? Has anybody actually ordered this?

http://www.nfhs.org/core/contentmana...ll_methods.pdf
Old Sat Sep 16, 2006, 10:58pm
Official Forum Member

At one time, there was supposed to be a nationwide "certification" program for NFHS officials and this program was to be a part of that.

The "national certified" idea appears to have died, quietly.

I took the course. You will learn nothing new from it, unless you are entirely new to NFHS rules and mechanics. If you do NOT use NFHS mechanics [many of us use CCA mechanics in HS ball], you will learn nothing useful.

Unless and until the certification program is resurrected, this class is not worth $75.
Old Sun Sep 17, 2006, 09:11am
Official Forum Member

Bossman:

By 2010 ALL Oregon High School Umpires that want to qualify for playoff games must pass this ASEP/OCEP test. The test can be replaced by a certified alternative training process.

I have ordered and taken this certification exam.

I did that because I am the Secretary of the Oregon Athletic Officials Association Baseball Umpire Committee and we set the standards for the State High School Umpires.

On the paid side of this site I wrote an article that talked freely about how dissapointed I was in the "education" and testing.

In your packaet you recieve a manual that takes you through "some" FEDlandia rules. The booklet also takes you through 2, 3, & 4 man mechanics.

You get a neat Little DVD that is interactive. You place runners, outs and then a ball is hit and it shows proper NFHS umpire rotations and positioning.

Oh yeah, you also get an NFHS Rule Book -- no Case Book -- just the rule.

The package, in my opinion, is a waste of money.

When you test there are interactive questions on line. BTW remember it covers NFHS mechanics only and even covers the most wasteful time on 4 man crews. The test is 100 questions and you can "SAVE" any number of questions. I say this so you recognize the test is open book and you can take up to SIX MONTHS to answer all questions.

Because Oregon has, with the approval of the NFHS, adopted CCA mechanics (since we don't use ALL CCA we use what is called "Oregon Modified Mechanics") this protion of the training and testing is totally worthless and we alread take a closed book rules test. Pretty wasteful, huh?

I would not suggest buying this training system.

Regards,
Old Sun Sep 17, 2006, 03:24pm
Official Forum Member

thanks guys..... you saved me a potential $75

although would you reccommend this for beginners who've had no training- such as people just coming into our association?
Old Sun Sep 17, 2006, 03:46pm
Official Forum Member

Save for more IMPT stuff

Wait until more people recognize or place more value in the NFHS course. Use the money to attend a regional clinic on proper platework guidelines and 2-man mechanics. Order the 2007 NFHS baseball publications (rule book, case book and mechanics book) from the NFHS website. EPIC's 90-ft baseball mechanics CD is availble for $29. Find some good JD or Honigs equipment/clothing on sale over the winter break or upgrade that missing piece of equipment needed for the large diamond.
Old Sun Sep 17, 2006, 04:14pm
Official Forum Member

Bossman:

I have no idea how much training your guys can get locally. PDX has a very large education requirment and support system.

I just don't think this program is worth $75 to ANYONE.

It is a rather wasteful expense actually.

Regards,
Old Sun Sep 17, 2006, 05:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C
I have no idea how much training your guys can get locally. PDX has a very large education requirment and support system.

I just don't think this program is worth $75 to ANYONE.

It is a rather wasteful expense actually.

Regards,

I see. I was wondering if it would have been worthwile to the newer members of our assocation (since we do zero training of new guys- which i don't particularly like).
Old Sun Sep 17, 2006, 06:09pm
Do not give a damn!!

I have not seen the baseball program, but I have seen the football and basketball programs from the NF. I would say these tools are a waste of money.

The information seems to be very elementary and so basic. You would do better by buying some books from some referee publication that deals in mechanics and books.

Peace
Old Sun Sep 17, 2006, 08:34pm
Official Forum Member

Where's the help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman72
I see. I was wondering if it would have been worthwile to the newer members of our assocation (since we do zero training of new guys- which i don't particularly like).
I once thought TEE was too judgmental. Why is no one there willing to step down and work with the newbies? Usually there is a paid position waiting for someone to train those new guys. Nothing scarrier than those early warning signs coming from NEWBIE that he hasn't been through any training. Little leaguers think they can work on their base mechanics an entire year and never show up with any plate gear. I rather work a game with another SMITTY. I will work with any partner once, but I prefer them to have some equipment and training before they reach the parking lot.

Last edited by SAump; Sun Sep 17, 2006 at 08:50pm.
Old Mon Sep 18, 2006, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

ASEP = Evil money grubbin' empire!