The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 04, 2012, 08:45am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Best one this weekend.
A team had 2 or 3 particular spectators, apparently parents, making dumb and annoying comments and complaints, loudly of course. About the 3rd inning, the 1st base coach turns to me and says:
"In my next life, I'm coaching a team of orphans".
Old Mon Jun 04, 2012, 10:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
..."In my next life, I'm coaching a team of orphans".
I had a HS coach tell me this a few years ago....I thought it was pretty funny then, as well....
Old Mon Jun 04, 2012, 10:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Best one this weekend.
A team had 2 or 3 particular spectators, apparently parents, making dumb and annoying comments and complaints, loudly of course. About the 3rd inning, the 1st base coach turns to me and says:
Old Mon Jun 04, 2012, 12:42pm
Official Forum Member

Two thoughts from back in my days of coaching.

We used to say to build the ideal team, start with 12 independently wealthy orphans.

And from personal experience, I truly believe that if you are not a good person in life, you will spend eternity coaching 14-U.
Old Mon Jun 04, 2012, 01:30pm
Official Forum Member

Last week a first base coach yelled at my partner after his runner was called safe. We were working a 3 umpire crew and so I was standing right next to him as he went into his rant, one of many, mostly at the girls, but occasionally at the partners. I told him, "coach the girl is safe and all of them are 12".

During the next game one of the moms came to the fence to tell me that it was the best line she had heard at the games all season.
Old Mon Jun 04, 2012, 04:48pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to argodad
Quote:
Best one this weekend.
I had a college coach tell me her ideal team would be two Canadians and 12 orphans. I asked "Why the Canadians?" She said, "Their parents are just glad to be somewhere warm."
Old Mon Jun 04, 2012, 05:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoTafurst View Post
Me too.
Old Sun Sep 16, 2012, 04:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita C View Post
Telling an adult to "shut up" is disrespectful.

But maybe times have changed.

Rita
I run into plenty of adults who need to "shut up". Times have changed, we know realize not all adults know how to act.

They need to be reminded how to behave, I don't care who tells them.
Old Sun Sep 16, 2012, 07:47am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by outathm View Post
Last week a first base coach yelled at my partner after his runner was called safe.
Maybe I haven't had enough coffee yet, but why would a first base coach complain after his runner is called Safe??
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Sun Sep 16, 2012, 08:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
Maybe I haven't had enough coffee yet, but why would a first base coach complain after his runner is called Safe??
I was wondering the same thing myself -
Old Mon Sep 17, 2012, 08:27am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ASA/NYSSOBLUE
Sometimes you don't have to say a word -

Was working a mens 35u league - its a modified pitch league that would be much better off being slow pitch, as most of the pitchers just don't have it anymore - they use a Clincher, and most of play is pretty terrible. Was working bases in 2 man, and there was one team that was pretty loud all night. They had a runner on first with 2 out, and the batter hit a slow roller to 3B, and 3b tosses it to second JUST late, and I call the runner safe - loudly. Well....for some reason the runner jumps up, comes off the base SCREAMING at me.. and it takes the second baseman about 10 seconds to realize what is happining, and then gently tags the runner. I just as gently raise my hand - not even saying anything, turning away with the biggest sh*t eating grin on my face, that never quite went away the rest of the game.

and yes, not much was said the rest of the night
Old Tue Sep 18, 2012, 01:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASA/NYSSOBLUE View Post
Sometimes you don't have to say a word -

Was working a mens 35u league - its a modified pitch league that would be much better off being slow pitch, as most of the pitchers just don't have it anymore - they use a Clincher, and most of play is pretty terrible. Was working bases in 2 man, and there was one team that was pretty loud all night. They had a runner on first with 2 out, and the batter hit a slow roller to 3B, and 3b tosses it to second JUST late, and I call the runner safe - loudly. Well....for some reason the runner jumps up, comes off the base SCREAMING at me.. and it takes the second baseman about 10 seconds to realize what is happining, and then gently tags the runner. I just as gently raise my hand - not even saying anything, turning away with the biggest sh*t eating grin on my face, that never quite went away the rest of the game.

and yes, not much was said the rest of the night
Wonderful
Old Fri Sep 28, 2012, 11:04am
Official Forum Member

12U rec ball ... bases loaded, I'm in the C, little pop-up looks like its headed to hit about 10 ft in front of F6, F6 starts coming in - BAM, BR on 2nd runs into her, I kill it, BR out INT ............... coach comes out and informs me that the runner has just as much of a right to the baseline as the fielder, he even said its like the receiver and defender having equal right to the ball ...... I listened politely then informed him what the rule was and what I saw, he insisted I was wrong but didn't put up much fuss

damn if I only had a penalty flag
Old Fri Sep 28, 2012, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3afan View Post
I listened politely then informed him what the rule was and what I saw, he insisted I was wrong but didn't put up much fuss
Coach: You are wrong and I know it!!!
Umpire: Coach, would you like to continue the game under protest?
Coach: Sure, why not?
Umpire: Because you are going to be wrong in front of many more people, but it that's what you want, be sure to bring the parents along.