The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 14, 2012, 04:28pm
Official Forum Member

I thought it was getting better...

Our final two games in the State Championship tournament are tonight here in AZ.

Starting in 2009, we made a big push on teaching obstruction, what it is, how to recognize it, how to administer it when it does occur, etc...

We have really made that a big part of our pre-season clinics and rules focus.
We made the decision to back off a bit this year and focus on some other areas. One of my fellow board members and myself have watched approx 20 games so far in the State tournament and we have seen at least 10 incidents where obstruction was not called when it should have been. When asked about the plays after the games, we are getting responses like "it was just incidental contact", or "she was about to receive the ball"...

Just curious if this is still a problem in other areas or if you all are seeing obstruction called more consistantly.
Old Mon May 14, 2012, 04:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Our final two games in the State Championship tournament are tonight here in AZ.

Starting in 2009, we made a big push on teaching obstruction, what it is, how to recognize it, how to administer it when it does occur, etc...

We have really made that a big part of our pre-season clinics and rules focus.
We made the decision to back off a bit this year and focus on some other areas. One of my fellow board members and myself have watched approx 20 games so far in the State tournament and we have seen at least 10 incidents where obstruction was not called when it should have been. When asked about the plays after the games, we are getting responses like "it was just incidental contact", or "she was about to receive the ball"...

Just curious if this is still a problem in other areas or if you all are seeing obstruction called more consistantly.
The problem isn't the rule, but the umpires. I stress the same thing. I stress that there is no downside to making an OBS call. I here a million and one excuses, all lame. But they were up by 20 in the 1st inning... she wasn't going anyway...I didn't think it would have helped the defense...but there was no play...yada, yada, yada. Too many umpires are literally "afraid" to make the call as they are fearful it may affect the game. Huh!?!?

Drives me up a wall. If they tell me from their angle there was no impediment, no problem, that is why they are where they are. But for the sake of a good beer, don't tell me you just decided not to call what you saw for (enter reason here). And then they wonder why people walk around saying that they never see OBS called!
Old Mon May 14, 2012, 08:17pm
Official Forum Member

Watching the D2 championship game right now. Bottom of 3rd, CDO catcher blocking plate without ball, no obstruction called.
Old Mon May 14, 2012, 09:11pm
Official Forum Member

My question is, how do they get these assignments?
Old Mon May 14, 2012, 09:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcannizzo View Post
DON'T go there. Not sure about AZ but in my state the ranking system is a joke! LONG story I won't get into but let me just say people who work the state finals aren't always the best in our state!!

And Andy, today alone I have answered 3 emails and the back and forth from them about obstruction. Then on the field tonight I had a play where the coach wanted obstruction on a play at 2B. I explained my call to the coach and his biggest complaint was how inconsistent the rulings have been this year, some call one way some call it another etc. I explain my ruling and he sees where I'm coming from...note other coach was talking to my partner during this conversation and said "I really have no idea why he's talking to him that wasn't even close to obstruction".

As a side note this same coach came up to me later and apologized for how he "came at me" he didn't like it and thought he was out of line. Then he vented about how an umpire didn't call interference the other night, when the coach questioned him, he stated "There was no contact, so it's not interference"
Old Mon May 14, 2012, 09:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcannizzo View Post
Its pretty much across the board. Watching my daughters D1 conference championship tournament this past weekend asking myself the very same question.
Old Mon May 14, 2012, 10:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKBUmp View Post
Watching the D2 championship game right now. Bottom of 3rd, CDO catcher blocking plate without ball, no obstruction called.
Well, assume you are talking HS since NCAA hasn't started yet.

My contention is, as stated before, too many alleged umpires believe the clinics, schools and seminars are more of a "suggestion" as opposed to direction.

Obviously, they learn more by watching their son's LL or HS baseball game or the MLB game on TV at night. Way too many wannabe's that have a better concept of the game than those who have been working and studying it for years.

AFA how assignments come about, each state has their own procedures. I just returned from a rating committee meeting which offered the qualified umpires for the Northern half of the state. The order of the list is based solely on rating submitted by partners and observers along with personal observances of committee members.

Unfortunately, this list goes the the state HS assn to be compared with the team coaches' selections. It isn't that far off most years, but the coaches definitely slide some "socially adept" umpires up the list for playoff assignments inspite of their lack of skills or willingness to actually enforce all the rules.
Old Mon May 14, 2012, 11:19pm
Official Forum Member

Yes, AZ high school division 2 championship game.
Old Tue May 15, 2012, 04:07am
Official Forum Member

Since Andy can't just come out and say it..... There is a HUGE difference between Phoenix umpires and the outlying areas..... The Phoenix area HS crew does an amazing job with training.... and they can be a little more selective with state tournament assignments. The Championships are usually split up between different parts of the state with Phoenix usually getting the top level(s). The outlying areas are less likely to send a well trained umpire over a buddy.....regardless of the type of season the buddy is having. It gets sickening....same bad mistakes from the same bad umpires. Not saying Phoenix has all the good ones, because there are some GREAT ones from Tucson.... but that's the general rule of thumb

Last edited by azbigdawg; Tue May 15, 2012 at 04:09am.
Old Tue May 15, 2012, 07:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by azbigdawg View Post
Since Andy can't just come out and say it..... There is a HUGE difference between Phoenix umpires and the outlying areas..... The Phoenix area HS crew does an amazing job with training.... and they can be a little more selective with state tournament assignments. The Championships are usually split up between different parts of the state with Phoenix usually getting the top level(s). The outlying areas are less likely to send a well trained umpire over a buddy.....regardless of the type of season the buddy is having. It gets sickening....same bad mistakes from the same bad umpires. Not saying Phoenix has all the good ones, because there are some GREAT ones from Tucson.... but that's the general rule of thumb

That seems to be relevant in many areas. Some take their umpiring to the extremes on training while others seem to be "here's your hat, here's your schedule, see you in three months" type of associations.

Really don't care how some people feel about training, it can only put the umpire in a better position to succeed on the field, locally and nationally. There is no such thing as too much training.
Old Tue May 15, 2012, 08:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
There is no such thing as too much training.
Could you PLEASE convey that to the "veterans" in my state that think they should be able to test out of training every year.
Old Tue May 15, 2012, 09:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdc25 View Post
Could you PLEASE convey that to the "veterans" in my state that think they should be able to test out of training every year.
I think I would take that bet with just about any of them I know....I will give them the test that was presented at this years clinics. I bet 95+% of them could not score over an 80% of it!! Would that help their "I don't need this attitude"?? Probably not but it would reassure us they don't have a clue!
Old Tue May 15, 2012, 09:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveASA/FED View Post
I think I would take that bet with just about any of them I know....I will give them the test that was presented at this years clinics. I bet 95+% of them could not score over an 80% of it!! Would that help their "I don't need this attitude"?? Probably not but it would reassure us they don't have a clue!
Uhh.... do we really need reassuring?

oh, and can you try to be more entertaining next year?
Old Tue May 15, 2012, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKBUmp View Post
Was at the game...know exactly the play you are talking about....ASA State UIC and I were watching together and both of us said....OBSTRUCTION at the same time....I think I even stuck my left arm out sitting in the stands.....
Old Tue May 15, 2012, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdc25 View Post
Uhh.... do we really need reassuring?

oh, and can you try to be more entertaining next year?
Wait, Dave be more entertaining????

After spending a week with him in San Diego last year...he's pretty damn entertaining.....