The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 15, 2012, 01:02pm
wife loves the goatee...

Do those of you who train umps have different "levels" of training (at the HS level) or is everyone (Rookies-old dogs) basically getting the same info at the same time in the same meeting[s]?

Thanks
Old Tue May 15, 2012, 02:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRJ1960 View Post
Do those of you who train umps have different "levels" of training (at the HS level) or is everyone (Rookies-old dogs) basically getting the same info at the same time in the same meeting[s]?

Thanks
Speaking as one who attends training, it is everyone at the same time here.
Old Tue May 15, 2012, 02:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRJ1960 View Post

Thanks
Due to time constraints, I'll give you the Readers Digest version of what we do.

In Indiana (ASA) we give schools and clinics. The clinics are basically just a "what's new this year" sit and learn type of deal.

At our schools, we bring everybody into a common room. Give them a brief run down of what is expected of them and then split our umpires into separate groups for drills. "Rookies" being one of those groups in which we go over the most basic of basics. From how to brush a plate to what heel-toe really means.
Old Tue May 15, 2012, 02:53pm
Official Forum Member

Andy can add in more later because he is more involved, but in the Metro Phoenix, AZ area, the AIA rates officials on a scale of 1-4, 1 being a certified umpire, and 4 being a rookie. There is also a 5 designation, but that is for a transfer official who has not yet been reviewed by an observer. Once reviewed they are placed somewhere in the 1-4 rating.

AIA starts out the year for softball officials with a mandatory general meeting for all umpires. They basically go over any rules changes from previous years, general information on what they expect from the new season, have a few presentations, some awards and some raffles.

Then there is about a month worth of classes held at various points all around the metro area. Some of the classes are Mondays, others on Tuesdays, and some others on Wednesdays. Each week all locations cover the same topics, so if you cant make it to one of the classes on say Monday, you can catch the same class at another location on Tuesday. These classes are for the 1 and 2 rated umpires. The 3 and 4 umpires all have their classes at the main AIA offices and also do some on field work over a few nights. In addition to these classes, there is also a Saturday of clinics, usually 4, that cover various topics such as pitching infractions and the look back rule.

I dont remember all the requirements, but certified umpires are required to attend 3 of the weekly classes, 2 of the clinics and score 90% or higher on the test.
Old Tue May 15, 2012, 03:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKBUmp View Post
Andy can add in more later because he is more involved, but in the Metro Phoenix, AZ area, the AIA rates officials on a scale of 1-4, 1 being a certified umpire, and 4 being a rookie. There is also a 5 designation, but that is for a transfer official who has not yet been reviewed by an observer. Once reviewed they are placed somewhere in the 1-4 rating.

AIA starts out the year for softball officials with a mandatory general meeting for all umpires. They basically go over any rules changes from previous years, general information on what they expect from the new season, have a few presentations, some awards and some raffles.

Then there is about a month worth of classes held at various points all around the metro area. Some of the classes are Mondays, others on Tuesdays, and some others on Wednesdays. Each week all locations cover the same topics, so if you cant make it to one of the classes on say Monday, you can catch the same class at another location on Tuesday. These classes are for the 1 and 2 rated umpires. The 3 and 4 umpires all have their classes at the main AIA offices and also do some on field work over a few nights. In addition to these classes, there is also a Saturday of clinics, usually 4, that cover various topics such as pitching infractions and the look back rule.

I dont remember all the requirements, but certified umpires are required to attend 3 of the weekly classes, 2 of the clinics and score 90% or higher on the test.
That's basically it in a nutshell. I am one of the instructors for the 1s and 2s, so these are supposedly the veteran umpires. I used to believe that at this level, these classes should focus more on the art and philosophy of umpiring as opposed to rules review. However, I have found that a number of our "vets" scanned the book 20 or so years ago and just think they need some update on the changes and they're good to go. So this past year we went back to a rules focus and basically went through the book. We shall see what the impact of that decision is.
Old Tue May 15, 2012, 03:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
My contention is, as stated before, too many alleged umpires believe the clinics, schools and seminars are more of a "suggestion" as opposed to direction.
This is too true. Our assn hosted an ASA State Umpire School with two very good out of state clinicians brought in. The turn out was very disappointing.
Old Tue May 15, 2012, 09:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Was at the game...know exactly the play you are talking about....ASA State UIC and I were watching together and both of us said....OBSTRUCTION at the same time....I think I even stuck my left arm out sitting in the stands.....

WL wasn't sitting on that side, was he?