The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jun 25, 2003, 12:03am
Official Forum Member

As a coach, I've used the LBR to score many times, especially when I have a runner on third and my BR is walked. As an Umpire, I've seen it used only between 1st and 2nd base.

I had a situation arise recently in a game of which I was not 100% sure of and perhaps you might once again overcome the dreadedness you might feel of having to answer or even read questions regarding this rule.

Situation: No one on base. Pitcher walks BR. Pitcher feels (as she was coached) that if she's in the circle the BR who was walked must stop at first base. BR received BB and did not hesitate to run to 2nd as the pitcher stood there mystified. Further she rounded to 3rd without any hesitation while the pitcher watched. She held at 3rd and

The defensive coach was furious. I that there was no hesitation, the runner didn't stop return then advance, and the runner chose to continue advancing and further, she was entitled to continue to home plate if she wanted to take that risk.

As experienced umpires, am I wrong in my thought process?

Steve
Old Wed Jun 25, 2003, 06:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sprivitor
As a coach, I've used the LBR to score many times, especially when I have a runner on third and my BR is walked. As an Umpire, I've seen it used only between 1st and 2nd base.

I had a situation arise recently in a game of which I was not 100% sure of and perhaps you might once again overcome the dreadedness you might feel of having to answer or even read questions regarding this rule.

Situation: No one on base. Pitcher walks BR. Pitcher feels (as she was coached) that if she's in the circle the BR who was walked must stop at first base. BR received BB and did not hesitate to run to 2nd as the pitcher stood there mystified. Further she rounded to 3rd without any hesitation while the pitcher watched. She held at 3rd and

The defensive coach was furious. I that there was no hesitation, the runner didn't stop return then advance, and the runner chose to continue advancing and further, she was entitled to continue to home plate if she wanted to take that risk.

As experienced umpires, am I wrong in my thought process?

Steve
As long as the runner continues to move in the same direction, they can run 'til the drop or are put out.

You want to stop the runner, put F4 in the approximate basepath in a position to receive the ball from the pitcher should the runner continue. The runner will stop or be put out.

Old Wed Jun 25, 2003, 07:28am
Official Forum Member

clod in churn

Since we are talking look back rule I will like to add this for discussion. Runner on third only, no outs. Pitcher has poss. of ball in circle catcher does request time and time is not called. Catcher walks out to pitcher for conversation runner on third breaks for home and crosses plate. Whatcha gonna do.

Pig sooie
Old Wed Jun 25, 2003, 07:29am
Official Forum Member

Sorry should read catcher does not request time.
Old Wed Jun 25, 2003, 07:45am
Official Forum Member

Once the pitcher has the ball in the circle, the runner on third, if off the bag, is committed to immediately go home or head back to third. Once on the bag and no play is being made she must remain on the bag while the ball is in the circle. If this runner didn't immediately move toward home when the pitcher recieved the ball in the circle I would probably call her out. No score. Comments?
Old Wed Jun 25, 2003, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

Steve - If I remember correctly, most of your experience is with LL. I don't believe the LL lookback rule is significantly different from any other organizations'. In this scenario, the BRs actions are perfectly legal.

gohogs - If time was not called and the pitcher has the ball in the circle when the catcher goes out to talk to her, the lookback rule is in effect. The ruuner that is standing on third base must remain in contact with the base. If she leaves the base, she is called out.
Old Wed Jun 25, 2003, 11:53am
Official Forum Member

An interesting scenario to this, and I know it is true for Fed but not sure for ASA.

Runner on 3rd, walk to the batter. R3 is off base and pitcher receives ball back from catcher.

In Fed, the Look Back Rule does not go into effect until the BR reaches first.

So if the catcher throws the ball back to the pitcher and then goes out to see the pitcher or requests time prior to the BR reaching first, the runner on 3rd can do whatever she likes. Of course no time should be granted until all plays have stopped.

ASA ruling?
Old Wed Jun 25, 2003, 01:34pm
Official Forum Member

Rick,
ASA is the same. But as you mentioned if the catcher asks for time it will be granted as soon as all play stops, that might be after R1 has scored and BR/R2 is on third but I will then give her time.
Old Wed Jun 25, 2003, 02:55pm
Official Forum Member

Original scenario: concur. From your description there was no hesitation meaning she can do what she likes. It seems to me the confusion is that the pitcher (and admittedly, the coach) seemed to think that the runner lost the right to ADVANCE when the pitcher acquired posession, which is patently false. I will say that it's not the first time I've had someone confuse that rule, which seems to be left over from schoolyard kickball, with the lookback rule.

Gohogs: scores, no question. Pay better attention, coach.

Scenario 3: Concur with Rick and Dave, absolutely correct.