The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Apr 28, 2012, 10:50pm
Official Forum Member

fixin to take a month long trip....

Gulf Coast of Texas to Seattle and back.......

Heading up, I will be seeing some friends in central Tx and than I will be going through my Dad's home town of Muleshoe Texas into Clovis NM.....and will meander my way through Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, eventually to Seattle....planning on taking about two weeks to get there.....

Heading south after my obligation in Seattle.....I will go through San Fran Cali to Sunnyvale where my brother lives.....anyone know a great route from Seattle to SF?

Then to So Cal to see Aunt/Uncle and cousins (one who is a Secret Service Agent....But I doubt she has gotten involved in the prostitution scandal ).....I can make it back to Tx from there.....

But any suggestions for my trip would be greatly appreciated.

I had anticipated seeing my oldest in AZ on my way back.......but she is moving back to TX and hopes (after a couple of classes)......to go to Medical School......

Joel

Last edited by Gulf Coast Blue; Sun Apr 29, 2012 at 06:44am.
Old Sun Apr 29, 2012, 08:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf Coast Blue View Post

Heading south after my obligation in Seattle.....I will go through San Fran Cali to Sunnyvale where my brother lives.....anyone know a great route from Seattle to SF?
I would say take the straight route, but I don't think that will get you there. Hey, how about taking the high road?

Quote:
But any suggestions for my trip would be greatly appreciated.
But seriously, I would suggest you take I90 out of Wyoming up toward Missoula, MT. Great scenary and if you drink coffee, this is a great place to warm up for the Seattle area.

Take US 93 North toward Kalispell. Somewhat barren area during the winter, but you will pass through a couple of wildlife refuges including the National Bison Range, up around Flathead Lake, where I understand the fishing is supposed to be excellent.

Whitefish is a nice little town where it seemed like every shop and restaurant had a resident dog, and a nice little brewery (as if I wouldn't know where they are). Just to the North is Big Mountain, large ski area, and North of that is Glacier National Park.

If you need to head West, drop back down the Flathead and pick-up 220 to the I90 toward Coeur D Alene and Spokane and across WA to Seatte.

If you have a spare 4-5 days and a passport, you may want to consider continuing North on US 93 out of Whitefish and head to Banff. This is some of the most beautiful section of the Rockies I have ever seen. If you have ever seen the movie, Last of the Dogmen, this is where much of it was shot. Lots of "hot springs" along this route. Take CA 1 West and drop down through Surrey and into WA and Seattle

Last edited by IRISHMAFIA; Sun Apr 29, 2012 at 10:48am.
Old Sun Apr 29, 2012, 10:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
...anyone know a great route from Seattle to SF?
How much time do you have?

If you have the time, take US101 south through WA and OR until you get to Leggett, CA, then branch off on Cali Highway 1. You'll drive through redwood country and have GREAT coastal scenery. Stop a lot for views / pictures. This is not a drive where you stay in your car.

If you have the time, I also recommend the drive south of Sunnyvale. Take Hwy 17 to Santa Cruz, and then back on Hwy 1 to Carmel. The 17-mile drive is worth the charge, and you can stop at Pebble Beach Golf Club for lunch overlooking the ocean and the golf course. The drive south out of Carmel through Big Sur is also worth it if you have the time.
Old Sun Apr 29, 2012, 10:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post

If you have the time, take US101 south through WA and OR until you get to Leggett, CA, then branch off on Cali Highway 1. You'll drive through redwood country and have GREAT coastal scenery. Stop a lot for views / pictures. This is not a drive where you stay in your car.

If you have the time, I also recommend the drive south of Sunnyvale. Take Hwy 17 to Santa Cruz, and then back on Hwy 1 to Carmel. The 17-mile drive is worth the charge, and you can stop at Pebble Beach Golf Club for lunch overlooking the ocean and the golf course. The drive south out of Carmel through Big Sur is also worth it if you have the time.
A few weeks......those are both great suggestions Mike and Tom.

I had planned to spend a week or maybe a month in Arizona with my oldest.......but she has decided to move back to Texas and try for Med School instead of her Masters in Engineering.....and she will be gone in June when I come through.

I hope she makes it.

Joel

She still has at least one course to qualify for the MCAT........

Thanks.

BTW.......I will be leaving after my middle daughter graduates........

Last edited by Gulf Coast Blue; Sun Apr 29, 2012 at 04:32pm.
Old Mon Apr 30, 2012, 09:33am
Official Forum Member

Joel....if you do come back through Arizona and the Phoenix area...let me know...perhaps we can get together for a beer or dinner or something.....
Old Mon Apr 30, 2012, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Joel....if you do come back through Arizona and the Phoenix area...let me know...perhaps we can get together for a beer or dinner or something.....
....like a deuce with the worse two Co-ed teams in the area?

Take your uniform, Joel.
Old Mon Apr 30, 2012, 06:26pm
Official Forum Member

If you want to go to Alcatraz in SF, you better book NOW. I enjoyed it when we went there a year or so ago.

Can't help you with specific routes, but if I were you, I'd hit San Diego and the 4 corners area coming back. Grand Canyon, even for a day or two, wouldn't be a bad idea either. Plus, if you did that, you can map out a route via interstates on the way up and hit Muleshoe on the way back.
Old Mon Apr 30, 2012, 07:42pm
Archaic Power Monger

The drive from Ventura up 101 to San Luis Obispo then Hwy 1 north through Big Sur is probably one of my favorite drives. Makes me miss home a little bit.

Have a great trip, Joel!
Old Sat Jun 16, 2012, 08:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
I would say take the straight route, but I don't think that will get you there. Hey, how about taking the high road?

But seriously, I would suggest you take I90 out of Wyoming up toward Missoula, MT. Great scenary and if you drink coffee, this is a great place to warm up for the Seattle area.

Take US 93 North toward Kalispell. Somewhat barren area during the winter, but you will pass through a couple of wildlife refuges including the National Bison Range, up around Flathead Lake, where I understand the fishing is supposed to be excellent.

Whitefish is a nice little town where it seemed like every shop and restaurant had a resident dog, and a nice little brewery (as if I wouldn't know where they are). Just to the North is Big Mountain, large ski area, and North of that is Glacier National Park.

If you need to head West, drop back down the Flathead and pick-up 220 to the I90 toward Coeur D Alene and Spokane and across WA to Seatte.

If you have a spare 4-5 days and a passport, you may want to consider continuing North on US 93 out of Whitefish and head to Banff. This is some of the most beautiful section of the Rockies I have ever seen. If you have ever seen the movie, Last of the Dogmen, this is where much of it was shot. Lots of "hot springs" along this route. Take CA 1 West and drop down through Surrey and into WA and Seattle
After leaving Yellowstone camped in Livingston Montana and then took the odd route up to Great Falls (camped) and then down to Helena, then Missoula and Coeur D'Alene .......Lake Coeur D'Alene was absolutely wonderful.......almost did not camp there as we got hit by a weird wind microburst just checking the place out.......wind probably hit 80 mph for about 30 seconds and damn near knocked me over. I did not want to lose my only tent with many thousands of miles yet to go. Did hit Spokane (where I left my laptop at the hotel and had to have them ship it to my brother's in California). I decided I could move to Montana tomorrow and lease a few thousand acres and raise a bunch of free range cattle......however, one winter and I would probably run back home. But I am still thinking about it....I am giving it some serious thought.

Seattle for three days.......very odd people there. Reminded me a bit of Austin......loved the Market and ate bunches of fresh produce right off the street.

Visited Lincoln Park and hiked about a million miles down to a beach only to NOT see eagles......

I did run across your favorite softball backstop BTW Mike......

Went to Magnuson park to do some bird watching and had to traverse a community garden. About a dozen people there and if I asked a question of anyone of them, you would have thought that I was beating my children in front of them. Most unfriendly people I have ever run across. In most of the world....if a person shows interest in something you are into.....you cannot get them to shut up. Not there. I am not slamming all of Seattle as this is the only place I ran into this......but for the most part....Seattle people were a bit different than I am used to.

Did not get to Glacier because of time requirements.......am kicking myself now.

I did drink a local IPA in every state starting in NM. (maybe even a six pack.....)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post

We did travel 1 from Leggett.....and then jumped back to the 101 south of Laytonville.

After we left my brother's in Sunnyvale.....we had to drive to San Marcos just North of San Diego......did not have a huge amount of sight seeing time on that day. I wish we could have hit Carmel and Pebble beach and Big Sur. My greatest regret was not going to Yosemite park. Looking back....I would have traded a couple of days in Colorado to spend more time in California.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
I was in Tempe for a couple of days Andy....but family obligations took up most of my time. I would have loved to have made it to Friendship for a cold IPA. You were not that far.....but I was there on a weekend and figured you were busy with softball duties. I did cook some great steak and chicken in the 108 degree heat.......thought I might not need any charcoal or wood.....

Went to Flagstaff and the Grand Canyon from there and then to Albuquerque......was North of the fires.....but said a prayer or two for friends and old co-workers in NM.

Quote:
....like a deuce with the worse two Co-ed teams in the area.

Take your uniform, Joel.

I did not have room...it would have made the car explode.......

I had to have my oldest daughter ship a car top carrier to my brothers in Cali....if not for that we would not have made it. My lady friend arranged for two of her daughters to travel with us from Tempe to Albuquerque.....way too much stuff for four people.....even if for just 400 miles..........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie View Post
If you want to go to Alcatraz in SF, you better book NOW. I enjoyed it when we went there a year or so ago.

Can't help you with specific routes, but if I were you, I'd hit San Diego and the 4 corners area coming back. Grand Canyon, even for a day or two, wouldn't be a bad idea either. Plus, if you did that, you can map out a route via interstates on the way up and hit Muleshoe on the way back.
Did not hit Alcatraz but I did like SF.......close to San Diego on the way back. Visited an Aunt.....sat on her back porch and closed my eyes......the birds sounded just like the gulf coast of Tx.

My Muleshoe photo on the way up......

Had a ton of fun......but wish it would have been three months instead of one.

Joel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
The drive from Ventura up 101 to San Luis Obispo then Hwy 1 north through Big Sur is probably one of my favorite drives. Makes me miss home a little bit.

Have a great trip, Joel!
I did.....thanks Welpe
Old Sat Jun 16, 2012, 10:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I decided I could move to Montana tomorrow and lease a few thousand acres and raise a bunch of free range cattle......however, one winter and I would probably run back home. But I am still thinking about it....I am giving it some serious thought.
When I was skiing in Montana, I thought, "should be able to get some great steak" thinking of all the cattle/buffalo in MT. Unfortunately, I couldn't find a decent steak. When I asked a local about the beef, I was told all prime beef gets shipped to KC.

Quote:
I did run across your favorite softball backstop BTW Mike......

Wait a minute! Did I see a kitchen timer on that backstop? Sorry, couldn't resist

Quote:

I was in Tempe for a couple of days Andy....but family obligations took up most of my time. I would have loved to have made it to Friendship for a cold IPA. You were not that far.....but I was there on a weekend and figured you were busy with softball duties.
That's why you needed to take your uniform. Andy had a couple games for you.

Glad you had a safe trip. Bet you cannot wait 'til next year
Old Sat Jun 16, 2012, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

Sorry about your experience in Seattle! They usually have a reputation for being very friendly! But it has been a cold dreary spring. maybe they weren't at their best.

Whidbey Island would have been the place to go for your best chance at seeing eagles.

I'm surprised you ate vegetables off the street. Didn't they have plates? Hope you washed them first!

Rita
Old Sat Jun 16, 2012, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita C View Post
Sorry about your experience in Seattle! They usually have a reputation for being very friendly! But it has been a cold dreary spring. maybe they weren't at their best.

Whidbey Island would have been the place to go for your best chance at seeing eagles.

I'm surprised you ate vegetables off the street. Didn't they have plates? Hope you washed them first!

Rita
I was highly satisfied with the freindliness of the people.....except for that one park.

I think Chicago has some of the nicest people around.....others think not.

I did notice in Northern Wyoming, Montana, Idaho and Eastern Washington.....I was addressed as...."Sweetie, Babe, Darling, or Honey".......I usually only expect that in Deep East Tx, West Texas, Mississippi, Alabama, and the Florida Panhandle.........

Not done on the Gulf Coast of Tx......but I always get a grin when I hear it........

Joel

I did get to see these though.

Old Sun Jun 17, 2012, 11:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Wait a minute! Did I see a kitchen timer on that backstop? Sorry, couldn't resist
Nope. I have it in my gear bag... snagged it when the ump wasn't looking.

Old Sun Jun 17, 2012, 11:20pm
Official Forum Member

Joel,
Magnuson park is usually a cool area... must have been a bad day. You shouldda sent me a PM, I wouldda met you for a beer or coffee or something.