The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Apr 08, 2012, 08:38pm
Official Forum Member

ASA Test question for FP

I would like an explanation of the following ASA test question:

8. (FP ONLY) With R1on first base and B2 in the batter’s box with a count of 1-ball and 1-strike, B2 takes a called strike as R1attempts to steal second base. Out of frustration on the called strike, B2 accidentally drops the bat as F2 makes a play on R1. As F2 steps forward on the throw F2 trips over the bat and cannot complete the throw. The plate umpire calls a “dead ball,” rules B2 out and returns R1 to first base.

Reading through this question the first pass through the test, I had marked it as "True". I had the reference of Rule 7.6.Q:

"When actively hindering the catcher while in the batter's box."

But then I checked the Rule Supplement, 33.B which actually contains very similar wording to the above question:

Batter interference occurs while the batter is at bat and before the ball is batted. It occurs in fast pitch when the batter interferes with the catcher’s throw on an attempted steal or when the batter interferes with the catcher on a play at the plate. The batter’s box is not a sanctuary for the batter when a play is being made at the plate. Interference could also occur when a batter releases the bat in a manner that it hits the catcher and prevents them from making a play. If the batter merely drops the bat and the catcher trips over it, there is no interference. Batter interference is also described in RS #24B.

So I thought this was a question where ASA wanted to know who was reading the book.

Please explain to me how this question is not "False" given the wording in the rule supplement.

Thanx.
Old Sun Apr 08, 2012, 08:46pm
Official Forum Member

Here's my opinion.

The wording in the rule supplement refers to a batter becoming a batter-runner, and legally dropping the bat to run. That didn't happen here.

There is no reason to absolve a batter from interfering with an action that has no legitimate part of the batting action, even if accidental. She did it, it interfered, she pays the price.
Old Sun Apr 08, 2012, 08:55pm
Official Forum Member

ONE OF THE UIC'S PLEASE POST THE ANSWER OR PM ME. I HAVE ALREADY TURNED IN MY TEST. I WOULD APPRECIATE IT.

THANKS. sorry about the caps

i was thinkinng the same as steve but now we know for certain (99%)
Old Sun Apr 08, 2012, 10:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu View Post

But then I checked the Rule Supplement, 33.B which actually contains very similar wording to the above question:

Batter interference occurs while the batter is at bat and before the ball is batted. It occurs in fast pitch when the batter interferes with the catcher’s throw on an attempted steal or when the batter interferes with the catcher on a play at the plate. The batter’s box is not a sanctuary for the batter when a play is being made at the plate. Interference could also occur when a batter releases the bat in a manner that it hits the catcher and prevents them from making a play. If the batter merely drops the bat and the catcher trips over it, there is no interference. Batter interference is also described in RS #24B.

So I thought this was a question where ASA wanted to know who was reading the book.

Please explain to me how this question is not "False" given the wording in the rule supplement.

Thanx.
RS #52 may also be appropriate as it refers to discarding the bat in a manner which interferes with the catcher's ability to make a play.

Remember, this is not a BR and should not be discarding the bat, so the catcher should not have to play around it.

Ron, "true"
Old Mon Apr 09, 2012, 08:34pm
Official Forum Member

thanks, Mike. that is what i put without giving it much thought.