The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #31 (permalink)  
Old Tue Mar 27, 2012, 07:02am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
I did.
Sorry, I meant IRISHMAFIA.
Reply With Quote
  #32 (permalink)  
Old Tue Mar 27, 2012, 07:50am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: USA
Posts: 14,536
Quote:
Originally Posted by topper View Post
NCAA 2010-2011 Rules and Interpretations:

12.19.1.4 "Physical contact by the base runner with a fielder attempting to field a fair batted ball shall be interference, provided the fielder had a reasonable chance to make a play and was prevented from doing so."

Now you are aware of at least one. Honestly, why even post your statement at all if you don't know?
I don't buy this as a "requirement". This paragraph is offered as one of many examples of what could be interference on the runner. And the quantifier is that there must be a chance for the fielder to make a play.

Quote:
What explanation would be given to the DC to justify the INT ruling?
See above. In my judgment, if I believed the fielder was interfered with, that is what I will call. Simply because one did something which others may believe "could" have been INT, doesn't make it so.

In your play, maybe F6 does make the catch, but maybe the catch could have been more routine had their not been INT. But maybe she doesn't make the catch, but ends up trying to turn a deuce, but throws the ball into the stands and the BR is OBS by F3, and R1 plows over an unsuspecting F5 and is then picked up by the 3B coach and pushed towards home while F9 just went into labor and is down in RCF.......

T.W.P. We can all try to justify anything we want regardless of which way we prefer to slant it, but I believe we are better off as is. At least, until you can find the perfect, intelligent umpire that will not screw up a call. Like to admit it or not, there are umpires working all levels of ball that are somewhat clueless and misapply some of the simplest rules in the book. How in the world can a team expect any consistency from an umpire if so many "what if's" are available on what should be a simple play.

My vote goes for the ruling to remain an immediate dead ball.
__________________
The bat issue in softball is as much about liability, insurance and litigation as it is about competition, inflated egos and softball.
Reply With Quote
  #33 (permalink)  
Old Tue Mar 27, 2012, 09:27am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
I don't buy this as a "requirement". This paragraph is offered as one of many examples of what could be interference on the runner. And the quantifier is that there must be a chance for the fielder to make a play.
It is an example that specifies what constitutes INT when there is physical contact between runner and fielder, ending in "and was prevented from doing so." I would consider it a requirement. The other examples deal with specifics of other runner violations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
See above. In my judgment, if I believed the fielder was interfered with, that is what I will call.
The coach may then ask for you to support it in the rule book if the play were made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
In your play, maybe F6 does make the catch, but maybe the catch could have been more routine had their not been INT. But maybe she doesn't make the catch, but ends up trying to turn a deuce, but throws the ball into the stands and the BR is OBS by F3, and R1 plows over an unsuspecting F5 and is then picked up by the 3B coach and pushed towards home while F9 just went into labor and is down in RCF........
There are rules covering that as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Like to admit it or not, there are umpires working all levels of ball that are somewhat clueless and misapply some of the simplest rules in the book.
No argument here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
My vote goes for the ruling to remain an immediate dead ball.
Fair enough. Perhaps some re-wording of the rule would make that more supportable.
Reply With Quote
  #34 (permalink)  
Old Tue Mar 27, 2012, 07:29pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: USA
Posts: 14,536
Quote:
Originally Posted by topper View Post
The coach may then ask for you to support it in the rule book if the play were made.
Really? You think I'm going worry about citing a rule book to justify an INT call?. Yeah, GFL w/that.
__________________
The bat issue in softball is as much about liability, insurance and litigation as it is about competition, inflated egos and softball.
Reply With Quote
  #35 (permalink)  
Old Wed Mar 28, 2012, 10:15am
Moderator M-800
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Katy, Texas
Posts: 8,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by topper View Post
Fair enough. Perhaps some re-wording of the rule would make that more supportable.
LOL.

Let me help you - you are talking to someone who is usually IN THE ROOM when rule changes are discussed and written.
__________________
I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, 'I drank what?'

West Houston Mike
Reply With Quote
  #36 (permalink)  
Old Wed Mar 28, 2012, 11:55am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: USA
Posts: 14,536
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
LOL.

Let me help you - you are talking to someone who is usually IN THE ROOM when rule changes are discussed and written.
And don't I wish I had the pull to get some of this stuff "adjusted" to make it easier for the user.

Like others on this site, being in the room just means you are allowed to possibly take part in the discussion, in some circumstances some have a vote, on how things go and, at least, get the purpose for change or rejection of, first hand. I find this makes it much easier to explain changes or reasons for not changing something. Another reason I believe each State/Metro should have their UIC or umpire representative in attendence.
__________________
The bat issue in softball is as much about liability, insurance and litigation as it is about competition, inflated egos and softball.
Reply With Quote
  #37 (permalink)  
Old Wed Mar 28, 2012, 02:25pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Glendale, AZ
Posts: 2,671
I attended my first ASA Council Meeting this last November.

Being able to be in the various rooms and committee meetings when rule changes were discussed was quite fascinating. It is very interesting to hear the rationale behind why the author thinks changes are necessary as well as the discussion back and forth.

And of course the Yeungling was good too....
__________________
It's what you learn after you think you know it all that's important!
Reply With Quote
  #38 (permalink)  
Old Thu Mar 29, 2012, 09:52am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Really? You think I'm going worry about citing a rule book to justify an INT call?. Yeah, GFL w/that.
I have no idea what you worry about when on the field. However, the NCAA rules has a specific protocol when it comes to protest situations, and one part involves opening that pesky little rule book. There will be no need for you to cite anything.

Last edited by topper; Thu Mar 29, 2012 at 02:49pm. Reason: grammar
Reply With Quote
  #39 (permalink)  
Old Thu Mar 29, 2012, 10:06am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
LOL.

Let me help you - you are talking to someone who is usually IN THE ROOM when rule changes are discussed and written.
Thanks for the help, but I'd be interested to know when the last time he was IN THE ROOM at an NCAA Softball Rules Committee meeting.

Now let me help you - get back to the shallow end of the pool and start another thread about how last night's 10U league game went or how stupid you think the local rules are.
Reply With Quote
  #40 (permalink)  
Old Thu Mar 29, 2012, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Glendale, AZ
Posts: 2,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by topper View Post
Thanks for the help, but I'd be interested to know when the last time he was IN THE ROOM at an NCAA Softball Rules Committee meeting.

Now let me help you - get back to the shallow end of the pool and start another thread about how last night's 10U league game went or how stupid you think the local rules are.
Wow....I think I hung in longer than most at McGriff's and Eteamz before they became more about insults and trolling than a free exchange of softball umpiring ideas and conversations.

I'm willing to hang in here for a while longer to see if the trolls and such get tired and just go away, if not....then, Thanks, Dave!
__________________
It's what you learn after you think you know it all that's important!
Reply With Quote
  #41 (permalink)  
Old Thu Mar 29, 2012, 03:13pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Wow....I think I hung in longer than most at McGriff's and Eteamz before they became more about insults and trolling than a free exchange of softball umpiring ideas and conversations.

I'm willing to hang in here for a while longer to see if the trolls and such get tired and just go away, if not....then, Thanks, Dave!
If you're meaning me, then I will say that there was a free exchange of ideas and opinions taking place. At least until the "Let me help you" post. I simply responded in kind. If that's trolling in you opinion, you are certainly entitled to it.
Reply With Quote
  #42 (permalink)  
Old Thu Mar 29, 2012, 04:05pm
Moderator M-800
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Katy, Texas
Posts: 8,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by topper View Post
If you're meaning me, then I will say that there was a free exchange of ideas and opinions taking place. At least until the "Let me help you" post. I simply responded in kind. If that's trolling in you opinion, you are certainly entitled to it.
If you took offense to my "let me help you" post, I'm sorry - offending you was not the intent. Helping you understand that you were not talking to a neophyte was my intent.

And I surely don't think that comments regarding the level of ball I work are an appropriate response. THAT is what he was calling trolling. You don't know me - you have no clue what I work or where. I suspect I've worked far higher than you would guess, but that is really not the point of my posts. Yes, I do work the very very little ones on occasion as well - my assignors (well, most of them) do a great job mixing it up, letting us work different levels of games as well as with different levels of partners (I was in one league for quite a while where my assignor loved to put me with the guy who needed some work ... I'm certainly willing to do that - but I never ever got to work games for that assignor where I got to learn from umpires significantly better than me (and there were several in that group) - my current assignor realizes that is not best for the group and gives a good mix. If that means I have to work a 10U game every once in a while, or work at some place who's game is closer to Calvinball than softball ... so that someone else can learn from someone or work on something, so be it - happy to do it. For you to denigrate working those games says more about you than it says about me, frankly.
__________________
I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, 'I drank what?'

West Houston Mike

Last edited by MD Longhorn; Thu Mar 29, 2012 at 04:13pm.
Reply With Quote
  #43 (permalink)  
Old Thu Mar 29, 2012, 04:20pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: USA
Posts: 14,536
Quote:
Originally Posted by topper View Post
If you're meaning me, then I will say that there was a free exchange of ideas and opinions taking place. At least until the "Let me help you" post. I simply responded in kind. If that's trolling in you opinion, you are certainly entitled to it.
Now let me help you - get back to the shallow end of the pool and start another thread about how last night's 10U league game went or how stupid you think the local rules are.

Question is are you Clara or Cosmo....either/or, maybe you should emulate them.
__________________
The bat issue in softball is as much about liability, insurance and litigation as it is about competition, inflated egos and softball.
Reply With Quote
  #44 (permalink)  
Old Thu Mar 29, 2012, 04:31pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Question is are you Clara or Cosmo....either/or, maybe you should emulate them.
It would be difficult for me since I have no idea what you mean.
Reply With Quote
  #45 (permalink)  
Old Thu Mar 29, 2012, 04:54pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Posts: 6,348
The majority of this topic is useless, should be offline.

Personal bickering and insults do not belong.
Please give it up.
__________________
Officiating takes more than OJT.
It's not our jobs to invent rulings to fit our personal idea of what should and should not be.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
leaving a base early steveshane67 Softball 8 Mon Aug 31, 2009 07:40am
Leaving First Early tibear Baseball 4 Fri Apr 20, 2007 06:36pm
IP or leaving early? Dakota Softball 7 Sat Nov 13, 2004 01:15am
Runners leaving early Dakota Softball 7 Thu Jan 15, 2004 05:07pm
LL Majors - Leaving Early cmckenna Baseball 2 Wed May 29, 2002 05:36pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:37pm.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1