Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
I did.
Sorry, I meant IRISHMAFIA.
Old Tue Mar 27, 2012, 07:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topper View Post
NCAA 2010-2011 Rules and Interpretations:

12.19.1.4 "Physical contact by the base runner with a fielder attempting to field a fair batted ball shall be interference, provided the fielder had a reasonable chance to make a play and was prevented from doing so."

Now you are aware of at least one. Honestly, why even post your statement at all if you don't know?
I don't buy this as a "requirement". This paragraph is offered as one of many examples of what could be interference on the runner. And the quantifier is that there must be a chance for the fielder to make a play.

Quote:
What explanation would be given to the DC to justify the INT ruling?
See above. In my judgment, if I believed the fielder was interfered with, that is what I will call. Simply because one did something which others may believe "could" have been INT, doesn't make it so.

In your play, maybe F6 does make the catch, but maybe the catch could have been more routine had their not been INT. But maybe she doesn't make the catch, but ends up trying to turn a deuce, but throws the ball into the stands and the BR is OBS by F3, and R1 plows over an unsuspecting F5 and is then picked up by the 3B coach and pushed towards home while F9 just went into labor and is down in RCF.......

T.W.P. We can all try to justify anything we want regardless of which way we prefer to slant it, but I believe we are better off as is. At least, until you can find the perfect, intelligent umpire that will not screw up a call. Like to admit it or not, there are umpires working all levels of ball that are somewhat clueless and misapply some of the simplest rules in the book. How in the world can a team expect any consistency from an umpire if so many "what if's" are available on what should be a simple play.

My vote goes for the ruling to remain an immediate dead ball.
Old Tue Mar 27, 2012, 09:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
I don't buy this as a "requirement". This paragraph is offered as one of many examples of what could be interference on the runner. And the quantifier is that there must be a chance for the fielder to make a play.
It is an example that specifies what constitutes INT when there is physical contact between runner and fielder, ending in "and was prevented from doing so." I would consider it a requirement. The other examples deal with specifics of other runner violations.

Quote:
See above. In my judgment, if I believed the fielder was interfered with, that is what I will call.
The coach may then ask for you to support it in the rule book if the play were made.

Quote:
In your play, maybe F6 does make the catch, but maybe the catch could have been more routine had their not been INT. But maybe she doesn't make the catch, but ends up trying to turn a deuce, but throws the ball into the stands and the BR is OBS by F3, and R1 plows over an unsuspecting F5 and is then picked up by the 3B coach and pushed towards home while F9 just went into labor and is down in RCF........
There are rules covering that as well

Quote:
Like to admit it or not, there are umpires working all levels of ball that are somewhat clueless and misapply some of the simplest rules in the book.
No argument here.

Quote:
My vote goes for the ruling to remain an immediate dead ball.
Fair enough. Perhaps some re-wording of the rule would make that more supportable.
Old Tue Mar 27, 2012, 07:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The coach may then ask for you to support it in the rule book if the play were made.
Really? You think I'm going worry about citing a rule book to justify an INT call?. Yeah, GFL w/that.
Old Wed Mar 28, 2012, 10:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Fair enough. Perhaps some re-wording of the rule would make that more supportable.
LOL.

Let me help you - you are talking to someone who is usually IN THE ROOM when rule changes are discussed and written.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Mar 28, 2012, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
LOL.

Let me help you - you are talking to someone who is usually IN THE ROOM when rule changes are discussed and written.
And don't I wish I had the pull to get some of this stuff "adjusted" to make it easier for the user.

Like others on this site, being in the room just means you are allowed to possibly take part in the discussion, in some circumstances some have a vote, on how things go and, at least, get the purpose for change or rejection of, first hand. I find this makes it much easier to explain changes or reasons for not changing something. Another reason I believe each State/Metro should have their UIC or umpire representative in attendence.
Old Wed Mar 28, 2012, 02:25pm
Official Forum Member

I attended my first ASA Council Meeting this last November.

Being able to be in the various rooms and committee meetings when rule changes were discussed was quite fascinating. It is very interesting to hear the rationale behind why the author thinks changes are necessary as well as the discussion back and forth.

And of course the Yeungling was good too....
Old Thu Mar 29, 2012, 09:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Really? You think I'm going worry about citing a rule book to justify an INT call?. Yeah, GFL w/that.
I have no idea what you worry about when on the field. However, the NCAA rules has a specific protocol when it comes to protest situations, and one part involves opening that pesky little rule book. There will be no need for you to cite anything.

Last edited by topper; Thu Mar 29, 2012 at 02:49pm. Reason: grammar
Old Thu Mar 29, 2012, 10:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
LOL.

Thanks for the help, but I'd be interested to know when the last time he was IN THE ROOM at an NCAA Softball Rules Committee meeting.

Now let me help you - get back to the shallow end of the pool and start another thread about how last night's 10U league game went or how stupid you think the local rules are.
Old Thu Mar 29, 2012, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Thanks for the help, but I'd be interested to know when the last time he was IN THE ROOM at an NCAA Softball Rules Committee meeting.

Now let me help you - get back to the shallow end of the pool and start another thread about how last night's 10U league game went or how stupid you think the local rules are.
Wow....I think I hung in longer than most at McGriff's and Eteamz before they became more about insults and trolling than a free exchange of softball umpiring ideas and conversations.

I'm willing to hang in here for a while longer to see if the trolls and such get tired and just go away, if not....then, Thanks, Dave!
Old Thu Mar 29, 2012, 03:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Wow....I think I hung in longer than most at McGriff's and Eteamz before they became more about insults and trolling than a free exchange of softball umpiring ideas and conversations.

I'm willing to hang in here for a while longer to see if the trolls and such get tired and just go away, if not....then, Thanks, Dave!
If you're meaning me, then I will say that there was a free exchange of ideas and opinions taking place. At least until the "Let me help you" post. I simply responded in kind. If that's trolling in you opinion, you are certainly entitled to it.
Old Thu Mar 29, 2012, 04:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If you're meaning me, then I will say that there was a free exchange of ideas and opinions taking place. At least until the "Let me help you" post. I simply responded in kind. If that's trolling in you opinion, you are certainly entitled to it.
If you took offense to my "let me help you" post, I'm sorry - offending you was not the intent. Helping you understand that you were not talking to a neophyte was my intent.

And I surely don't think that comments regarding the level of ball I work are an appropriate response. THAT is what he was calling trolling. You don't know me - you have no clue what I work or where. I suspect I've worked far higher than you would guess, but that is really not the point of my posts. Yes, I do work the very very little ones on occasion as well - my assignors (well, most of them) do a great job mixing it up, letting us work different levels of games as well as with different levels of partners (I was in one league for quite a while where my assignor loved to put me with the guy who needed some work ... I'm certainly willing to do that - but I never ever got to work games for that assignor where I got to learn from umpires significantly better than me (and there were several in that group) - my current assignor realizes that is not best for the group and gives a good mix. If that means I have to work a 10U game every once in a while, or work at some place who's game is closer to Calvinball than softball ... so that someone else can learn from someone or work on something, so be it - happy to do it. For you to denigrate working those games says more about you than it says about me, frankly.

West Houston Mike

Last edited by MD Longhorn; Thu Mar 29, 2012 at 04:13pm.
Old Thu Mar 29, 2012, 04:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Question is are you Clara or Cosmo....either/or, maybe you should emulate them.
Old Thu Mar 29, 2012, 04:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Question is are you Clara or Cosmo....either/or, maybe you should emulate them.
It would be difficult for me since I have no idea what you mean.
Old Thu Mar 29, 2012, 04:54pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
The majority of this topic is useless, should be offline.

Personal bickering and insults do not belong.
Please give it up.