The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   NFHS - Umpire Responsible for Clearing bat (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/87745-nfhs-umpire-responsible-clearing-bat.html)

EsqUmp Wed Feb 08, 2012 07:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCASAUmp (Post 821775)
In writing, no. However, in numerous clinics and schools, we've been instructed by our State UIC to not touch the bat. That's good enough for me.

It troubles me that something that is covered in so many clinics and schools and has such great potential for liability is not in writing.

If I am sued (batter gets injured sliding into a bat) and need to justify why I didn't move a batter, I would like something stronger then, "I was told so at multiple clinics and schools."

I am NOT mocking your answer at all. I also don't doubt that this is what you were taught, as I've heard many people who agree with you.

I just find that type of teaching to be weak. When things aren't in writing, there's always the potential for denial.

I appreciate your honest answer even if I don't agree with the philosophy.

NCASAUmp Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by EsqUmp (Post 821778)
It troubles me that something that is covered in so many clinics and schools and has such great potential for liability is not in writing.

If I am sued (batter gets injured sliding into a bat) and need to justify why I didn't move a batter, I would like something stronger then, "I was told so at multiple clinics and schools."

I am NOT mocking your answer at all. I also don't doubt that this is what you were taught, as I've heard many people who agree with you.

I just find that type of teaching to be weak. When things aren't in writing, there's always the potential for denial.

I appreciate your honest answer even if I don't agree with the philosophy.

Do you take off your mask when you talk to coaches?

Where does it say whether you should take it off or leave it on?

Do you put your hand on the catcher's back when behind the plate? Why not? Where is that written?

x-tremeump Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:28pm

xtreamump

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCASAUmp (Post 821775)
In writing, no. However, in numerous clinics and schools, we've been instructed by our State UIC to not touch the bat. That's good enough for me.

Jim Evans covers this topic with great training. MOVE THE BAT !!!

NCASAUmp Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by xtreamump (Post 821837)

Let me know when Jim Evans is in charge of umpiring our sport.

okla21fan Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by EsqUmp (Post 821772)
Does anyone have anything in writing from ASA/NFHS/NCAA or any other association stating "Do not remove the bat?"

Where does it say anywhere 'in writing' of the converse? (about any detached equipment)

EsqUmp Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:40pm

We are talking about liability, not respect. You're avoiding the question. If it is such a huge liability issue, why hasn't ASA written anything about it in its 50 page Safety Awareness Guide? Regardless of which method they prefer, I find it troubling that it hasn't found its way into a 50 page safety manual, rule book or umpire manual.

EsqUmp Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:43pm

I always love this argument. Completely disregard what a MLB umpire who runs a national school says because he isn't a softball umpire. At least he put it in writing, which is more than I can say for the majority of softball codes.

"No, no, that's baseball. You can't do that." Guess what, 3 strikes and you're out and 4 balls and you walk also come from baseball.

okla21fan Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by EsqUmp (Post 821778)

The answer is simple....'the batter should have stepped over the bat, after all, she was no required to slid in the first place'

the defense rests your honor :p

okla21fan Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by EsqUmp (Post 821846)
I always love this argument. Completely disregard what a MLB umpire who runs a national school says because he isn't a softball umpire. At least he put it in writing, which is more than I can say for the majority of softball codes.

"No, no, that's baseball. You can't do that." Guess what, 3 strikes and you're out and 4 balls and you walk also come from baseball.

One can start with the 30 foot difference in the base distance dimensions. Than go from there..... but I would ask, just where 'in writing' on the MLB umpire manual does it address this? (either way)

EsqUmp Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by xtreamump (Post 821837)

Exactly! Using his technique, umpires can help avoid liability. MLB umpires, who deal with players making millions of dollars, know the best thing to do is move the bat. They do it all of the time and they don't get in the way.

It is illogical to accept what other people are saying, which comes down to, "Don't move the bat because someone may get injured. Leave it in front of the plate where it is almost guaranteed to get in the way."

I'm glad that my torts professor wasn't an ASA clone.

EsqUmp Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by okla21fan (Post 821849)
The answer is simple....'the batter should have stepped over the bat, after all, she was no required to slid in the first place'

the defense rests your honor :p

The court finds in favor of the plaintiff. Pay up.

Again, there is an assumption of risk that typically covers the situation anyway.

IRISHMAFIA Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:04pm

Not only is softball the sport of discussion, it is NFHS.

And if you want to be really anal about it, softball more resembles the game Messrs. Cartwright, Spalding, et al misappropriated from our European ancestors. and like the other men of power in this country, they placed a face in front of it, only that face never even acknowledged any connection or knowledge of the game.

And even to that point, it more resembled what we now know as slow-pitch softball than any other game played in this country other than the game of Rounders presently played in North America.

Baseball is a different game on a different field with different equipment and, especially with MLB, different philosophies.

However, your reference to the little ball game explains a lot

NCASAUmp Thu Feb 09, 2012 07:01am

Quote:

Originally Posted by EsqUmp (Post 821846)

I have no problem with Jim Evans, and I respect everything that he's done and accomplished.

But his sport is a completely different animal, and they treat their umpires accordingly. If he wants his umpires to clear the bats so that the marquee players making millions of dollars don't get injured, fine, they clear the bats.

My association says otherwise.

IRISHMAFIA Thu Feb 09, 2012 07:04am

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCASAUmp (Post 821931)
I have no problem with Jim Evans, and I respect everything that he's done and accomplished.

But his sport is a completely different animal, and they treat their umpires accordingly. If he wants his umpires to clear the bats so that the marquee players making millions of dollars don't get injured, fine, they clear the bats.

My association says otherwise.

Jim Evans has a league/conference/assocaition of his own?

NCASAUmp Thu Feb 09, 2012 07:09am

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 821932)
Jim Evans has a league/conference/assocaition of his own?

:p :D