The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 03, 2011, 11:17am
Official Forum Member

I agree that 17 is way too many games in a weekend for all of the reasons already stated. I have noticed, for me, that after about 4 games in a day, my umpiring begins to erode. Like Mike said, I find I am pulling up short on plays, not always in the best position, and have lost some of my hustle.

Assignors who engage in this practice need to learn that it is not fair to the teams nor the umpires.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Sat Dec 03, 2011, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

Here on LI our season ended 2 weeks ago. At 65 I try to limit myself to 2 FP games per day. I can do 3 or even 4 if on artificial turf but my hustle suffers along with my feet, knees, and back.

I do have some empathy for the assigner. In the fall we loose a lot of softball umpires to football; field hockey; soccer; volleyball; etc. So the pool of available qualified FP umpires for a weekend tourney has dwindled.

Luckily here fall ball is not as competitive as spring/summer so we can get rookie umpires teamed up with the more experienced umps so they can get some higher level experience without throwing them to the wolves.
Old Sat Dec 03, 2011, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

And then there is the umpire who tells folks, "yeah, but I pace myself".

IOW, nobody gets 100% because you need to last longer than you should be out there.

Don't get me wrong. I am aware of special circumstances where it may be unavoidable. I must note that in my area when we have an umpire go down for any reason, the rest of the umpires step right up, often without being asked, and take on additional games with minimal breaks.

However, as a routine so an assignor doesn't have to deal with more people than necessary or because an umpire may be greedy or an association has overbooked their weekend just isn't right. None are an acceptable reason to place the umpires' integrity and health, or the association's reputation in jeopardy.
Old Sat Dec 03, 2011, 12:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
And then there is the umpire who tells folks, "yeah, but I pace myself".

IOW, nobody gets 100% because you need to last longer than you should be out there.

Don't get me wrong. I am aware of special circumstances where it may be unavoidable. I must note that in my area when we have an umpire go down for any reason, the rest of the umpires step right up, often without being asked, and take on additional games with minimal breaks.

However, as a routine so an assignor doesn't have to deal with more people than necessary or because an umpire may be greedy or an association has overbooked their weekend just isn't right. None are an acceptable reason to place the umpires' integrity and health, or the association's reputation in jeopardy.

I think we all know those who "pace themselves". They give the rest of us a bad reputation.
AND, when one of us goes down, I'd hope that all would step right up. That is an extra ordinary effort - not one that should be used to allow somebody to work more games.
Old Tue Dec 06, 2011, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

Well ... I lived. And I took Monday off from my real job to recuperate. We lost a few games to Rain, so I worked 14 in total. As to pacing, I saw a mix. One guy gave the Friday night games the "I'm being evaluated" hustle. Ran (sprinted ... almost fell once) from position to position between plays, brushed off the pitchers plate and first base EVERY half inning, etc. That guy was crashed on the floor during his Sunday break and visibly limping on Sunday (I didn't see him Saturday, so the limp could have been from an actual injury and not just fatigue). One guy treated Friday night as beneath him, walked everywhere, and was caught out of position twice ... not sure how he would have been on Sunday, as he was sent home and replaced for Sat/Sun.

My 2 partners and I all had about the same pacing. 100% during a play - but much more relaxed between plays. Example - R1 on 3rd, BU in C. Passed ball - runner scores. BU would not sprint back to A, but rather walk there. Another example. On a SB at 2nd, PU would start walking to 3rd for a possible attempt to take 3rd if the ball got away, instead of making Yes - none of us would do this on normal days, but it must have helped, as we were all still giving 100% during plays on Sunday and got compliments from coaches and TD on our hustle.

I wore the back brace all weekend, which helped. The only thing still aching is my feet.

Interesting (to me ... maybe not to you!) notes from the games:
1) Hey fans, how can we have "Nice pitch, pitcher", "Come on, Blue!" and "Nice stop, catcher!" all on the same pitch?
2) One team wore green shirts with red trim and white numbers, red pants, white socks with green trim. Very Christmas - it looked cool. Their sister team had red socks instead and it looked like they were wearing Christmas pajamas.
3) Several of the 10U's looked like they could eat my 11 year old for a snack.
4) Shortest home run ever. Ball hit literally 2-3 inches off the plate on the first base side. I'm pointing fair when it stops. Pitcher comes in to pick it up, sees me calling if fair, and points at it, arguing it's foul because it's in the batters box. As the runner round SECOND, coach then comes out yelling. Catcher walks away to pick up her mask. Pitcher walks off to pout at the mound. Ball is STILL sitting there. Coach is about in my ear looking at my stop sign as runner rounds third - he eventually swats my hand away while this play is still going (he also said, "Look at me, a$$hole" while I'm still watching the play). Catcher sees the runner, finally, and that I'm watching the runner and in position for a call, figures it out, rushes for the ball and fails to tag out the runner. This (the coach) was the only ejection of the tournament.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Dec 06, 2011, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
Coach is about in my ear looking at my stop sign as runner rounds third - he eventually swats my hand away while this play is still going (he also said, "Look at me, a$$hole" while I'm still watching the play). Catcher sees the runner, finally, and that I'm watching the runner and in position for a call, figures it out, rushes for the ball and fails to tag out the runner.
Might not have been able to resist a "Who's the ******* now?" comment with a ****-eating grin on my face at this point

Quote:
This (the coach) was the only ejection of the tournament.
I would certainly hope that he was done for the tournament at that point whether his team was or not. If not, I might have had threatened the TD with calling the police to get a point across.
Old Tue Dec 06, 2011, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
4) Shortest home run ever. Ball hit literally 2-3 inches off the plate on the first base side. I'm pointing fair when it stops. Pitcher comes in to pick it up, sees me calling if fair, and points at it, arguing it's foul because it's in the batters box. As the runner round SECOND, coach then comes out yelling. Catcher walks away to pick up her mask. Pitcher walks off to pout at the mound. Ball is STILL sitting there. Coach is about in my ear looking at my stop sign as runner rounds third - he eventually swats my hand away while this play is still going (he also said, "Look at me, a$$hole" while I'm still watching the play). Catcher sees the runner, finally, and that I'm watching the runner and in position for a call, figures it out, rushes for the ball and fails to tag out the runner. This (the coach) was the only ejection of the tournament.
This is hilarious! I might also have managed to clock the coach with my mask in the left hand when I gave the big SAFE signal on the play at the plate, then ejected him....

I did 12u a week ago for the first time in a long time...it amazes me some of the stuff that those coaches and parents come up with....
Old Tue Dec 06, 2011, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

I actually don't know if he was done for the day. I don't recall which team won that game to be honest. I do know I didn't see him again after that.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Dec 06, 2011, 01:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
- he eventually swats my hand away while this play is still going (he also said, "Look at me, a$$hole" while I'm still watching the play).
Please, please tell me that you filed charges on him. Texas has special charges for assault on a sports official that would have upped it from simple assault and treated it more like assaulting a police officer in the line of duty.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Tue Dec 06, 2011, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi View Post
Please, please tell me that you filed charges on him. Texas has special charges for assault on a sports official that would have upped it from simple assault and treated it more like assaulting a police officer in the line of duty.
Any assault, especially with battery, by a non-child, must be reported to police, Texas or not, sports official or not.
Old Tue Dec 06, 2011, 02:28pm
Official Forum Member

OK, I think I've caused some overreaction. I would be the first to file charges if I was actually assaulted. This was not an attack. What your seeing in your head is more "active" than what happened here. I had a play going, was standing a few feet from the plate watching the runner and the ball (and eventually the catcher). He was trying to argue with me, so I had my hand up in his direction. He's approaching and pushes my arm aside. Ejectable - he77 yes. Assault? No, not at all.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Dec 06, 2011, 03:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
Any assault, especially with battery, by a non-child, must be reported to police, Texas or not, sports official or not.
Except some areas in Pennsylvania.
Old Tue Dec 06, 2011, 05:48pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by topper View Post
Except some areas in Pennsylvania.
?????????????????
Old Tue Dec 06, 2011, 06:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
OK, I think I've caused some overreaction. I would be the first to file charges if I was actually assaulted. This was not an attack. What your seeing in your head is more "active" than what happened here. I had a play going, was standing a few feet from the plate watching the runner and the ball (and eventually the catcher). He was trying to argue with me, so I had my hand up in his direction. He's approaching and pushes my arm aside. Ejectable - he77 yes. Assault? No, not at all.
Well, actually, it is if the contact was intentional and not part of the game which it isn't since he is not supposed to be on the field.

Not saying that you should press charges, but the TD doesn't know that
Old Thu Dec 08, 2011, 02:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Interesting (to me ... maybe not to you!) notes from the games:
1) Hey fans, how can we have "Nice pitch, pitcher", "Come on, Blue!" and "Nice stop, catcher!" all on the same pitch?
A nice drop ball that falls off the table. Batter tries to check her swing, but the fans think it is an attempt. Catcher does a nice job of digging it out of the dirt. There you go.