The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Oct 02, 2011, 01:34pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to shipwreck
NFHS rule about glove

A umpire friend of mine has had removed, or a sharpie used on a glove that had optic yellow on it. The rule says a glove shall not have white, gray or optic yellow that gives the appearance of a ball. In the color handout we received before the season began, it showed a glove with optic yellow on it that was considered illegal. I can see this rule for a pitcher's glove but have a hard time figuring out the reasoning for other players. He is the only umpire around here that I know of that made them remove the glove from the game or black it out. I wonder am I being to lenient or is he being too strict on it. I say each case is dependent on what each umpire considers taking the appearance of a ball. What say you? Dave
Old Sun Oct 02, 2011, 05:21pm
Official Forum Member

The rule in FED applies only to the pitchers glove. Who else would the batter be looking at while waiting for the ball to be pitched?
Old Sun Oct 02, 2011, 07:28pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to shipwreck
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKBUmp View Post
The rule in FED applies only to the pitchers glove. Who else would the batter be looking at while waiting for the ball to be pitched?
Fed rules say nothing that this rule only applies to pitchers. Rule 1-4-1 says gloves/mitts shall not have a gray, white or optic colored marking on the outside or inside that gives the appearance of the ball. The way it is worded means this pertains to all fielders. I don't like the way it is worded but guess I need to be more diligent in seeing this. Dave
Old Sun Oct 02, 2011, 09:15pm
Official Forum Member

Now that you mention it, I do remember them having a slide presentation with the optic yellow marking on the glove looking like it could be a ball in the webbing of the glove.
Old Mon Oct 03, 2011, 08:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipwreck View Post
A umpire friend of mine has had removed, or a sharpie used on a glove that had optic yellow on it. The rule says a glove shall not have white, gray or optic yellow that gives the appearance of a ball. In the color handout we received before the season began, it showed a glove with optic yellow on it that was considered illegal. I can see this rule for a pitcher's glove but have a hard time figuring out the reasoning for other players. He is the only umpire around here that I know of that made them remove the glove from the game or black it out. I wonder am I being to lenient or is he being too strict on it. I say each case is dependent on what each umpire considers taking the appearance of a ball. What say you? Dave
To answer the question, if the optic yellow in question does not give the appearance of a ball, as per the rule, then yes, I would say that your partner is being too overly officious.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.