The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   NFHS rule about glove (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/81630-nfhs-rule-about-glove.html)

shipwreck Sun Oct 02, 2011 01:34pm

NFHS rule about glove

A umpire friend of mine has had removed, or a sharpie used on a glove that had optic yellow on it. The rule says a glove shall not have white, gray or optic yellow that gives the appearance of a ball. In the color handout we received before the season began, it showed a glove with optic yellow on it that was considered illegal. I can see this rule for a pitcher's glove but have a hard time figuring out the reasoning for other players. He is the only umpire around here that I know of that made them remove the glove from the game or black it out. I wonder am I being to lenient or is he being too strict on it. I say each case is dependent on what each umpire considers taking the appearance of a ball. What say you? Dave

RKBUmp Sun Oct 02, 2011 05:21pm

The rule in FED applies only to the pitchers glove. Who else would the batter be looking at while waiting for the ball to be pitched?

shipwreck Sun Oct 02, 2011 07:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RKBUmp (Post 791178)
The rule in FED applies only to the pitchers glove. Who else would the batter be looking at while waiting for the ball to be pitched?

Fed rules say nothing that this rule only applies to pitchers. Rule 1-4-1 says gloves/mitts shall not have a gray, white or optic colored marking on the outside or inside that gives the appearance of the ball. The way it is worded means this pertains to all fielders. I don't like the way it is worded but guess I need to be more diligent in seeing this. Dave

RKBUmp Sun Oct 02, 2011 09:15pm

Now that you mention it, I do remember them having a slide presentation with the optic yellow marking on the glove looking like it could be a ball in the webbing of the glove.

Skahtboi Mon Oct 03, 2011 08:18am

Quote:

Originally Posted by shipwreck (Post 791145)
A umpire friend of mine has had removed, or a sharpie used on a glove that had optic yellow on it. The rule says a glove shall not have white, gray or optic yellow that gives the appearance of a ball. In the color handout we received before the season began, it showed a glove with optic yellow on it that was considered illegal. I can see this rule for a pitcher's glove but have a hard time figuring out the reasoning for other players. He is the only umpire around here that I know of that made them remove the glove from the game or black it out. I wonder am I being to lenient or is he being too strict on it. I say each case is dependent on what each umpire considers taking the appearance of a ball. What say you? Dave

To answer the question, if the optic yellow in question does not give the appearance of a ball, as per the rule, then yes, I would say that your partner is being too overly officious.