The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Sep 15, 2011, 10:58am
Official Forum Member

I think I kicked this IP call

fall HS league (using 'combo ASA/FED pitching rules) - meaning pitching can pitch either rule set if they chose (I know , I know... don't even start in on that )

pitcher takes a legal position on the pitcher's plate, hands apart and pauses (simulates sign) , hands come together, then the pitcher does this:

Her glove hand separates and begins to arc backwards (as she would with her pitching hand) and stops basically pointing towards 2nd base. the glove hand then, changes directions towards home plate at the same time her pitching hand begins to arc backwards towards 2nd base. The glove hand then continuous to make a full revolution at the same time the pitching hand follows this motion (also making a full revolution much like her normal pitching wind up)

so all and all, you have a glove hand/arm mimicking the normal wind-up followed by the pitching arm (if one was looking at a clock on the windmill, the glove arm would be '15 minutes' faster than the pitching arm'. (ala King and his Court)

I was U1 and threw my left arm out and called illegal, but frankly, I am not finding any rule limiting what the 'glove arm' can or cannot do during the wind-up. Like I said, I think I missed it.

Last edited by okla21fan; Thu Sep 15, 2011 at 11:02am.
Old Thu Sep 15, 2011, 12:21pm
Official Forum Member

Can't really fit that into any of the things labelled as illegal in either set. That said... if I was asked to work a bizarre hybrid ruleset like that - I might just never call IP unless it was egregious (like ... oh, pitching without being on the plate at all, or a 3 foot leap)

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Sep 15, 2011, 04:23pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
pitching without being on the plate at all, or a 3 foot leap)
Are those illegal?
Old Sat Sep 17, 2011, 10:05pm
Official Forum Member

The pitch begins with the seperation of the hands (ASA/FED) or makes a motion that is part of the windup after bring the hands together (FED) and the pitcher may not stop or reverse her direction. The ball must also be delivered immediately. It sounds like the pitching hand is stopped in front of the pitcher when the glove moves back? if so, this would make the pitch illegal in both rule sets.
Old Mon Sep 19, 2011, 12:17am
Official Forum Member

OK.. so assume the pitching hand is moving the entire time but the glove hand is moving as well and staying "15 minutes ahead" of the pitching hand. Other than the fact that it looks weird what makes it illegal?
Old Mon Sep 19, 2011, 08:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmpireErnie View Post
OK.. so assume the pitching hand is moving the entire time but the glove hand is moving as well and staying "15 minutes ahead" of the pitching hand. Other than the fact that it looks weird what makes it illegal?
If all of the criteria are met that make it a legal pitch, as you imply, then it is a legal pitch.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Mon Sep 19, 2011, 04:28pm
Official Forum Member

If U1 means the base umpire, then I would say it is not your call. You have the feet-- leap, etc. not the hands and wind up.
Old Mon Sep 19, 2011, 06:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronald View Post
If U1 means the base umpire, then I would say it is not your call. You have the feet-- leap, etc. not the hands and wind up.
So, if the pitcher continues a wind-up motion after releasing the pitch and the BU sees it while the PU is watching the pitch to the plate, s/he shouldn't call it?
Old Tue Sep 20, 2011, 07:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
That may be general guidance, but not an absolute.
Old Tue Sep 20, 2011, 08:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Not completely correct. That's your primary, but BU should continue to watch. About the only thing I can't see a BU calling is a 24" violation.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Sep 20, 2011, 09:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
Not completely correct. That's your primary, but BU should continue to watch. About the only thing I can't see a BU calling is a 24" violation.
Except in NCAA, where they put those very helpful white lines down on the field from the pitcher's plate......just remember though, that any NCAA coach will tell you that it is only the OTHER pitcher that is illegal!!!