The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Aug 26, 2011, 07:16am
Official Forum Member

Very Nervous!!

Thanks to all for help on the shoe issue. Yesterday I got the "call" for my first assignment and holycr@#! I can't believe how nervous I am and it about two weeks away. I am talking about serious butterflies in the gut but eager also. Any advice from you all or stories of your "first" time would be helpful.
Old Fri Aug 26, 2011, 07:23am
Official Forum Member

Hopefully

you're working a two man and paired with a verteran. If you are that should help. Although my first partner wasn't much help. He stood down the line behind first base eating a hot dog. What you're going to find is that the game is going to move much faster than you thought. Use your mechanics and get in the best possible place to make your calls. And above all else...HUSTLE!

Don't get down on yourself when you make a mistake. Use it as a learning opportunity. When things happen during the game that you're unsure of try to remember them and then after you're done go back to the rule book and look them up. Also, do not allow the teams to make you second guess yourself or to cause you to feel like you shouldn't umpire. You are going to make mistakes...hell, I still do after 23 years. Learn from them.

Hope this helps.
Old Fri Aug 26, 2011, 07:41am
Official Forum Member

Well, she was a special girl... We'd been with each other a long time, and...

OH! Not that first time.

Relax out there. Take things one step at a time and don't feel like you have to "rush" things to make it look like you've been doing this for years.

Slow down, read the play, think about it, think about it some more, make the call.

You'll do just fine out there.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Fri Aug 26, 2011, 08:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeputyUICHousto View Post
you're working a two man and paired with a verteran. If you are that should help. Although my first partner wasn't much help. He stood down the line behind first base eating a hot dog. What you're going to find is that the game is going to move much faster than you thought. Use your mechanics and get in the best possible place to make your calls. And above all else...HUSTLE!

Don't get down on yourself when you make a mistake. Use it as a learning opportunity. When things happen during the game that you're unsure of try to remember them and then after you're done go back to the rule book and look them up. Also, do not allow the teams to make you second guess yourself or to cause you to feel like you shouldn't umpire. You are going to make mistakes...hell, I still do after 23 years. Learn from them.

Hope this helps.
Did we have the same partner for our first games????

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Fri Aug 26, 2011, 08:19am

I still get butterfiles from time-to-time. That's right, after doing this for 25+ years, I admit there's times I still get butterflies!

NCASA has it exactly right: slow down!!! It's a marathon, not a sprint. And it ain't nothin' 'till you call it! Once you think you've slowed down on your timing enough, then slow down a bit more.

Most of all: have fun!!!!
Old Fri Aug 26, 2011, 08:22am
Official Forum Member

One little trick I use to keep myself from rushing the call is to assume that the defense WILL drop the ball, and that it's up to them to prove to me that they did NOT drop the ball.

If I'm expecting a dropped ball, it forces me to slow down.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Fri Aug 26, 2011, 09:31am
Official Forum Member

The first game I ever umpired was an 8U coach-pitch baseball game. I don't remember being especially nervous, probably because I had played and coached for over twenty five years so being on a field wasn't that big of a deal. But I'm sure I was a little bit nervous.

A couple of things I remember like it was yesterday...

There was one routine play at first base where I came out from behind the plate to make the call (working solo). Instead of just getting a good position and angle on the play, I ran full speed up the line, beat the batter to first by a mile and, while standing right next to the kid, gave my biggest loudest, punching the air, sell it hard "OUT!" call. The kid was so startled that he about jumped out of his shoes and started to cry! Right out of the box...I made an eight year old cry in my first game!

On another play, a runner was advancing to third base. Instead of stopping on the bag, he ran straight across it toward the coach's box. The coach grabbed him, spun him around and pushed him back toward third. The defense had thrown the ball to third by then and tried to put a tag on the runner as he jabbed his foot at the base. I called the runner out for being assisted by a coach. Kind of odd that I'd have to make that call in my first game! The next time I had to call that was several years and several hundred games later.

My wife had come to watch this game and was sitting at the edge of the parking lot along the first base side of the field. On the way home, she asks me why I called the kid out on this play. Then she says something like, "It looked to me like he beat the tag". So, in my very first game, I get grief about a call from my own wife who was sitting a couple of hundred feet away from the play!
Old Fri Aug 26, 2011, 09:50am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to MNBlue
Some really obvious things to many of us that I noticed while observing umpires at a 10U tournament this summer. Might be helpful and it might not be.

When the 'others' here want to critique this, keep in mind it was for VERY new umpires working a one umpire system.
  • SLOW DOWN YOUR CALLS– NOTHING GOOD HAPPENS FAST!!!
    • When pointing to the pitcher to play – or holding her up with the “Do Not Pitch” sign, use the hand on the opposite side of the batter so the pitcher can actually see your hand. Right handed batter, use the right hand. Left handed batter, use left hand.
    • When showing the pitcher the count, make sure she is watching. If you give the count immediately after the catcher catches the ball, the pitcher is looking at her and not you. If you give it after the pitcher catches the ball, she is usually walking back to the pitcher’s plate and not looking at you. Wait until she turns around.
    • When showing the count, hands above your head and arms straight. If you are giving a signal that needs to be seen, make sure it can be seen.
    • Don’t turn your head on the ball when calling pitches. If you lose sight of the ball, the catcher will drop the ball.
    • ALWAYS face the ball, especially when someone is going to be throwing the ball from behind you.
    • When signaling safe, do exactly what you did in junior high PE. Bend your elbow at shoulder height with finger tips together. Extend your arms out.
    • When moving into the diamond to make calls after the ball is hit, get AT LEAST 15’ into the diamond. Farther is better.
    • If the catcher moves to get a ball – foul or passed – you MUST move as well. Don’t look for the ball, follow the catcher with your eyes until she is clear of you THEN find the ball.
    • DO NOT CALL A BALL FOUL UNTIL IT HAS STOPPED MOVING OR IT TOUCHES SOMETHING OTHER THAN DIRT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • DO NOT CALL THE PITCH A BALL OR STRIKE UNTIL THE CATCHER CATCHES THE BALL!!!!!!
    • When calling strikes, be LOUDER!!! Loud enough for the coaches in the coaching boxes to hear you.
    • Hold the indicator in your left hand.
    • When ruling a ball fair or foul, be straddling the line. You will be MUCH more believable
    • Hands should be straight when calling a ball foul or a dead ball.
    • DO NOT point toward first base when a batter walks. If she doesn’t go, tell her “That’s Ball Four”. If she doesn’t move, tell her again.
    • Move when there is play in the field to be ruled upon. The closer you get, the more believable you will be.
    • Put a notch in the wheels of your indicator at 0-0-0. It will help you re-set it without looking at it.
    • Outs and strikes should be called with your right hand.
    • DO NOT CLEAN THE PLATE WITH YOUR FOOT!!!
    • When there is more than one runner on base, don’t quit umpiring when you make the first call. There will almost always be another call. Look and move.
    • DO NOT TALK TO FANS!!!!
    • Don’t announce the number of outs. That is the coaches’ job. If you announce the number incorrectly and the players do something based on that incorrect information, they will be all over you. They already don’t like us, don’t give them ammunition.
    • Don’t touch player equipment
    • Don’t throw balls to the pitcher – hand them to the catcher to throw. The first time you hit a 10U pitcher in the head with a ball will be the last time you throw it to a pitcher.

NFHS, NCAA, NAFA
"If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule?" Anton Chigurh - "No Country for Old Men"

Last edited by MNBlue; Fri Aug 26, 2011 at 09:53am.
Old Fri Aug 26, 2011, 10:23am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBlue View Post
Some really obvious things to many of us that I noticed while observing umpires at a 10U tournament this summer. Might be helpful and it might not be.

When the 'others' here want to critique this, keep in mind it was for VERY new umpires working a one umpire system.
  • SLOW DOWN YOUR CALLS– NOTHING GOOD HAPPENS FAST!!!
    • When pointing to the pitcher to play – or holding her up with the “Do Not Pitch” sign, use the hand on the opposite side of the batter so the pitcher can actually see your hand. Right handed batter, use the right hand. Left handed batter, use left hand.
    • When showing the pitcher the count, make sure she is watching. If you give the count immediately after the catcher catches the ball, the pitcher is looking at her and not you. If you give it after the pitcher catches the ball, she is usually walking back to the pitcher’s plate and not looking at you. Wait until she turns around.
    • When showing the count, hands above your head and arms straight. If you are giving a signal that needs to be seen, make sure it can be seen.
    • Don’t turn your head on the ball when calling pitches. If you lose sight of the ball, the catcher will drop the ball.
    • ALWAYS face the ball, especially when someone is going to be throwing the ball from behind you.
    • When signaling safe, do exactly what you did in junior high PE. Bend your elbow at shoulder height with finger tips together. Extend your arms out.
    • When moving into the diamond to make calls after the ball is hit, get AT LEAST 15’ into the diamond. Farther is better.
    • If the catcher moves to get a ball – foul or passed – you MUST move as well. Don’t look for the ball, follow the catcher with your eyes until she is clear of you THEN find the ball.
    • DO NOT CALL A BALL FOUL UNTIL IT HAS STOPPED MOVING OR IT TOUCHES SOMETHING OTHER THAN DIRT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • DO NOT CALL THE PITCH A BALL OR STRIKE UNTIL THE CATCHER CATCHES THE BALL!!!!!!
    • When calling strikes, be LOUDER!!! Loud enough for the coaches in the coaching boxes to hear you.
    • Hold the indicator in your left hand.
    • When ruling a ball fair or foul, be straddling the line. You will be MUCH more believable
    • Hands should be straight when calling a ball foul or a dead ball.
    • DO NOT point toward first base when a batter walks. If she doesn’t go, tell her “That’s Ball Four”. If she doesn’t move, tell her again.
    • Move when there is play in the field to be ruled upon. The closer you get, the more believable you will be.
    • Put a notch in the wheels of your indicator at 0-0-0. It will help you re-set it without looking at it.
    • Outs and strikes should be called with your right hand.
    • DO NOT CLEAN THE PLATE WITH YOUR FOOT!!!
    • When there is more than one runner on base, don’t quit umpiring when you make the first call. There will almost always be another call. Look and move.
    • DO NOT TALK TO FANS!!!!
    • Don’t announce the number of outs. That is the coaches’ job. If you announce the number incorrectly and the players do something based on that incorrect information, they will be all over you. They already don’t like us, don’t give them ammunition.
    • Don’t touch player equipment
    • Don’t throw balls to the pitcher – hand them to the catcher to throw. The first time you hit a 10U pitcher in the head with a ball will be the last time you throw it to a pitcher.
Now you made me nervous !!

Seriously, Adams, all good advice, just work on the all caps stuff and right hand only the first game. I was lucky enough to have no warning, game time decision as they say, 8-9 yr old LL, my son playing.

Also, remember you know the most and ARE THE ONLY ONE THERE WHO IS NEUTRAL about the result.
Old Fri Aug 26, 2011, 02:40pm
Official Forum Member

at least for me, when i first started doing JO games, 9/10 coaches liked me bc i hustled out from behind home plate, apparently they must have been used to old lazy umps.

also, one of the biggest lessons i had to learn when doing young girls was never assume they are going to make the smart/routine play. example, R1 on 2nd, 2 outs, im in C position, 3-2 count, runner steals on delivery, ground ball to SS. at this point in time, the runner had is 2/3 of the way to 3rd and im moving towards 1st. next thing i know, the SS throws the ball to the 3B. lesson learned for me.
Old Fri Aug 26, 2011, 04:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr131981 View Post
at least for me, when i first started doing JO games, 9/10 coaches liked me bc i hustled out from behind home plate, apparently they must have been used to old lazy umps.
An objectionable juxtaposition: "old lazy " Lazy is not unique to the senior umpires.
Old Mon Aug 29, 2011, 02:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
An objectionable juxtaposition: "old lazy " Lazy is not unique to the senior umpires.
true, i guess i should have specified old, as in cannot move as quickly anymore, or just flat out lazy umps.
Old Mon Aug 29, 2011, 07:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
true, i guess i should have specified
old, as in
cannot move as quickly
anymore ,

or just flat out lazy umps.
Just as long as you only care about mobility and not chronology, which is usually exaggerated in our youth-obsessed society.
Old Mon Aug 29, 2011, 07:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
also, one of the biggest lessons i had to learn when doing young girls was never assume they are going to make the smart/routine play.
Seriously? How about ANY girl, boy, woman or man, regardless of age? And when they do make the wrong play, guess who they think is responsible for making it right? And don't say the coach.
Old Mon Aug 29, 2011, 11:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Seriously? How about ANY girl, boy, woman or man, regardless of age? And when they do make the wrong play, guess who they think is responsible for making it right? And don't say the coach.
i did SP for a few years before i got involved in FP. since the majority of the guys who play SS in SP either played baseball growing up or at least watch baseball on tv, they know what the routine plays are. i find many of the girls, especially at the 10U 12U 14U dont know the basics. i dont know if thats a result of bad coaching or just not being around the game as much as boys, but i never thought of that until i had the situation i described above in my first FP game.

theres a "big" SP tourny here in a month... 1 ump system. if theres a runner on 2nd and a gb to the SS, unless the ball is hit to his right and unless theres some crazy disparity in the runners, im assuming hes throwing to 1st and using the mechanic as if no one is on base bc thats simply where that throw is going.