The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Aug 16, 2011, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

How do you become a better evaluator?

I am finding myself doing more observing and evaluating of umpires lately.

Especially with our fall season coming up, I am wanting to start identifying umpires to be considered for big assignments next year.

I feel comfortable evaluating on the basic mechanics and postioning, stuff like that..what I am looking for help on is what things do I need to look for to differentiate upper tier umpires from each other?

When you have some of your best working a tournament, what sets some apart? What are some little things to look for?
Old Tue Aug 16, 2011, 01:50pm
Official Forum Member

Andy,

Start at the beginning... Do they show up for all of the meetings, how do they conduct themselves, do they take the time and effort to do well on the test, do they seek to find out why's and wherefore's of the questions right or wrong.

You work with them, are they on time, how do they treat their uniforms, etc?

Do they seek you out to do it better or do they paid lip service only?

Do they take time to watch a game of other respected umpire's and ask questions?

How do they react to your evaluations on and off the field.
Old Tue Aug 16, 2011, 06:10pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to argodad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
I am finding myself doing more observing and evaluating of umpires lately.

Especially with our fall season coming up, I am wanting to start identifying umpires to be considered for big assignments next year.

I feel comfortable evaluating on the basic mechanics and postioning, stuff like that..what I am looking for help on is what things do I need to look for to differentiate upper tier umpires from each other?

When you have some of your best working a tournament, what sets some apart? What are some little things to look for?
If you are considering them for 3-ump assignments, you have to evaluate them in 3-ump games.

- I look for umpires who work between pitches - an NCAA mechanic, but looks good at any level.
- Hustle enough ... but not to the extreme.
- Be aware of your responsibilities, and cover your partner(s) if required.
- Manage the game (keep things moving and deal properly, respectfully, and effectively with coaches and players).
- I want umpires to appear to enjoy what they are doing.
- Will they call IPs? If they prefer to avoid the tough calls, they need more work at the current level.
- Is there always a set of eyes on the runners ... unless/until time is called?
- Timing.
- Crisp signals
Old Wed Aug 17, 2011, 08:38am
Official Forum Member

Just pretend you're Wild Bill for a moment, watching umpires...

Ok, now you understand.

Old Wed Aug 17, 2011, 01:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by argodad View Post
If you are considering them for 3-ump assignments, you have to evaluate them in 3-ump games.

- I look for umpires who work between pitches - an NCAA mechanic, but looks good at any level.
- Hustle enough ... but not to the extreme.
- Be aware of your responsibilities, and cover your partner(s) if required.
- Manage the game (keep things moving and deal properly, respectfully, and effectively with coaches and players).
- I want umpires to appear to enjoy what they are doing.
- Will they call IPs? If they prefer to avoid the tough calls, they need more work at the current level.
- Is there always a set of eyes on the runners ... unless/until time is called?
- Timing.
- Crisp signals
Of all these concepts, I believe game management is what separates the best from the rest. When I see a relatively smooth game with coaches doing only what they should do, even when something COULD be considered controversial, THEN I give the extra props to the umpire(s) involved, as they have earned the smooth sailing.
Old Wed Aug 17, 2011, 02:27pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with Steve. At some point, most umpires get the mechanics - where to start, what to watch, where to go, etc. Not everyone (self included sometimes) gets the coach management part of the game. You don't want to be promoting the "I haven't ejected a guy in 20 years" guys - they think they are "great" game managers, but most of the time they are simply enablers that make the game tougher for their partners or for the umpires that follow them. At the same time, you don't want to be promoting the hair-trigger ejection, gruff-at-the-plate-conference guy either.

It's finding that sweet spot that makes a good umpire great. An umpire that can explain himself when necessary and cool down a manager who is upset but not out of control... but also knows when the manager has ejected themselves and isn't afraid to complete the process and let him leave.

Also - try to listen to their pregame and plate conferences if possible. I know I can always tell a lot about my partner at the pregame and at the plate conference. Esp the PC - many times this is the first time you're talking to a coach, and your mannerisms set the tone - an umpire who is comfortable there usually turns out to be good at dealing with coaches in game.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Aug 17, 2011, 11:06pm
Official Forum Member

All of the things mentioned above......game management would be my most important........

However, be wary of the guys who have best friends on every team.....

Joel