The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Aug 08, 2011, 04:49pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to shipwreck
problem with NFHS question #62

Here is the question with what I believe to be the correct answer, but am getting arguments from numerous umpire colleagues.

62. All the following are true regarding the FLEX player, except;
a. The FLEX is listed in the 10th position in the lineup.
b. The FLEX may be substituted for by the DP playing defense.
c. The FLEX may bat anywhere in one of the nine positions of the batting
order.
d. The FLEX may be replaced by a legal substitute at any time.
e. When the FLEX is substituted for, the team is down to nine players.

I answered e, but many around me say c is also a correct answer. I wholeheartedly disagree with them. Even the higher up person said there are two correct answers, c and e.

Is this question poorly worded for them or am I missing something? I say the Flex may bat anywhere in one of the nine positions of the batting order.( As long as the DP is listed there)

Any help here? Thanks, Dave
Old Mon Aug 08, 2011, 05:05pm
Official Forum Member

I think e also. However, I can see c and e as the Flex can't bat anywhere in one of the nine positions of the batting order. She MUST bat in the DP's spot. The question is poorly worded. Imagine that.
Old Tue Aug 09, 2011, 07:44am

The answer has to be "e". While I agree the wording isn't the best, think of it this way. In a game, can the FLEX bat in any of the 9 positions? No, they can only bat in one: the spot where the DP is batting in the lineup. So, for a particular game, the FLEX has only ONE spot in the lineup in which she can bat.
Old Tue Aug 09, 2011, 07:53am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
It's just the phrasing.
The "anywhere" in "anywhere in one of the nine positions" means
as long as it is one of the nine positions, either batter box can be used.
Old Tue Aug 09, 2011, 08:03am
Official Forum Member

"e" would only be correct if the FLEX was substitued for using the DP.

Any other legal sub can be entered in the FLEX spot.

"c" however is incorrect on at least two points. The FLEX never bats. She may sub in for the DP but then she is no longer the FLEX. Also, there would only be one spot in the batting order she could enter, not "anywhere."
Old Tue Aug 09, 2011, 09:50am

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
It's just the phrasing.
The "anywhere" in "anywhere in one of the nine positions" means
as long as it is one of the nine positions, either batter box can be used.
Yeah ... but only one she can use is the one in which she is currently standing.
Old Wed Aug 10, 2011, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

I have as correct answers: a, b, d

Answer "e" is correct w/ the caveat that the DP was the person who was the substitute, as mentioned previously.

"Correct" meaning it's true of the Flex. Not to pick an answer to the question.
Old Wed Aug 10, 2011, 02:19pm
Official Forum Member

I translate "C" as the DP could be batting anywhere from 1 to 9. That means the FLEX could replace them and bat in their spot, anywhere from 1-9. They could be batting in the 4 spot, they could be batting in the 6 spot, etc. So technically, they could "bat anywhere in one of the nine positions of the batting order". You have to think in broad terms, not in single game terms.

I also agree it is poorly worded
Old Wed Aug 10, 2011, 04:13pm
Official Forum Member

I too think the wording could be improved somewhat.

Just for thought,

"e" The FLEX can NEVER bat---anywhere! If she is batting (legally) she is now the DP!

And "c" The DP can not really substitue for the FLEX. She can replace her, but not substitute for her!

So there are two correct false answers!
Old Thu Aug 11, 2011, 07:57am

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDUmp View Post
I translate "C" as the DP could be batting anywhere from 1 to 9. That means the FLEX could replace them and bat in their spot, anywhere from 1-9. They could be batting in the 4 spot, they could be batting in the 6 spot, etc. So technically, they could "bat anywhere in one of the nine positions of the batting order". You have to think in broad terms, not in single game terms.

I also agree it is poorly worded
I can see where you're coming from with your response, however consider this: If a coach asks you, "Hey, Blue. Can my FLEX bat in any of the 9 spots?" what's your response going to be? That's why I have "c" as being a "correct" answer. Of course, we all know that they can only bat in the DP's spot. (JEL: when the FLEX bats, she is NOT the DP. Don't fall into that line of thinking. It can only get you into trouble.) There is only one spot in the lineup in which a FLEX can ever bat: the DP's spot. So, that is false and "e" is false, as well.
Old Thu Aug 11, 2011, 08:44am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ASA/NYSSOBLUE
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEL View Post
I too think the wording could be improved somewhat.

Just for thought,

"e" The FLEX can NEVER bat---anywhere! If she is batting (legally) she is now the DP!

And "c" The DP can not really substitue for the FLEX. She can replace her, but not substitute for her!

So there are two correct false answers!
I don't know if FED is different from ASA, but as far as 'substituting' for the FLEX, just remember that any 9 in that lineup can play anywhere on defense. So the DP and FLEX can be playing defense at the same time, but never in the lineup at the same time. So the DP coming in to play 2B for the FLEX is NOT a sub. just another one of the 9 playing defense at the time.

So the correct answer is c - NOT c&e - if a legal sub comes in for the FLEX, you still have 10 on your lineup card.

And in NY, where we play 10 for 7th/8th grade 'modified', 11.
Old Thu Aug 11, 2011, 08:50am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASA/NYSSOBLUE View Post
So the DP coming in to play 2B for the FLEX is NOT a sub. just another one of the 9 playing defense at the time.
But the FLEX is out of the game, only 9 are playing, and the FLEX player can only return as a re-entry.

The "any 9 in that lineup can play anywhere on defense" is any 9 that includes the FLEX, unless the FLEX goes out of the game. The FLEX can not just bat and be on the bench like the DP or the other 8 players.
Old Thu Aug 11, 2011, 09:19am
Official Forum Member

Hijacking the thread because I do not think this deserves its own thread and it is related to test wording on the test we took in our state.

True or False:
Players removed from the game for displaying symptoms of a concussion shall not be permitted to return without authorization form from a health care professional. Rule 3-3-9.

I answered False, because authorization does not need to be in writing.
Use of the word "form" in the question, indicated to me that the authorization would have been written. I mean, how can you have a form and it not be written.

I got dinged on the test, because the answer was supposed to be True.

We had a study guide where many questions were illustrated with the correct answers that we reviewed in a local association meeting.

On the study guide the question was written like this:
"Players removed from the game for displaying symptoms of a concussion shall not be permitted to return without written authorization form from a health care professional. Rule 3-3-9."

The test admin removed the word "written" but neglected to remove the word "form".
Old Thu Aug 11, 2011, 02:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASA/NYSSOBLUE View Post
So the DP coming in to play 2B for the FLEX is NOT a sub. just another one of the 9 playing defense at the time.
This is most definitely a substitution.

If the DP plays defense for the FLEX, the FLEX has left the game. She may re-enter the game 1 time, just like any other player.

If the FLEX bats for the DP, the DP has left the game. She may re-enter the game 1 time, just like any other player.

In both cases, the lineup has gone from 10 to 9. Upon a proper re-entry, the lineup can go from 9 to 10. If the FLEX is not indicated on the lineup card at the start of the game, it cannot be used for the rest of the game.

The DP can indeed play defense for any player other than the FLEX and this does not affect the FLEX's status. I view it as a defensive change where the DP is going into play F3, and F3 is going to the dugout to play "bench". [At least that's how I try to remember it.]

Many times a coach will yell out to me that the FLEX and DP are "switching". I always have to go over and have him/her clarify. Depending on what they're trying to do, it could be a projected substitution which should not be allowed. Say the FLEX is F1 and in the 4th inning, she's tired. The team's second pitcher is in the DP spot. Coach brings in the DP to pitch. The FLEX has now left the game and the lineup is at 9. Next inning, starting pitcher catches her second wind and is inserted into the game. This requires her to re-enter, and the lineup is now at 10 again.
Old Thu Aug 11, 2011, 02:52pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ASA/NYSSOBLUE
Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
But the FLEX is out of the game, only 9 are playing, and the FLEX player can only return as a re-entry.

The "any 9 in that lineup can play anywhere on defense" is any 9 that includes the FLEX, unless the FLEX goes out of the game. The FLEX can not just bat and be on the bench like the DP or the other 8 players.

You are, of course, correct sir!

I meant - the DP can go out and play 2B next to the FLEX playing short....