The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 03, 2007, 03:44pm
Official Forum Member

NFHS thrower problem

Last week, I had a spot throw in on the end line. After throwing the ball in, the thrower ran along the baseline out of bounds and came in the other side of the lane while the ball was being passed around the top to get probably back to him.

I immediately called a violation. This year, there was a rule change stating that a player that was legally out of bounds and did not return would be charged a technical. I knew the rule, but it just seemed too severe. So, I just called it using last years interpretation. Has this happened to anyone else?
Old Mon Dec 03, 2007, 03:46pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to swkansasref33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damian
This year, there was a rule change stating that a player that was legally out of bounds and did not return would be charged a technical. I knew the rule, but it just seemed too severe. So, I just called it using last years interpretation. Has this happened to anyone else?
Somehow, I must have missed seeing this rule change. I haven't ran into this situation yet, but I would probably have just called the violation. What rule is that?
Old Mon Dec 03, 2007, 03:55pm
Do not give a damn!!

The rule did not change, there was just a clarification. The rule was the same they just wanted to make sure people were not calling a violation for this act if the purpose was to delay coming onto the court.

Having said that on thing I am noticing recently with this post is that I am not hearing a lot of preventative officiating going on. Why not talk to the player? And was the player really trying to delay or just not aware of their surroundings as they run onto the court. If this is the first time you saw it, I would have a word with the player or the coach so you do not have to call anything. Preventative Officiating seems to becoming a lost art. You tell a player not to cross the line when they are defending the thrower? Why not do the same with something like this and no one but you even realized this was going on?

Peace
Old Mon Dec 03, 2007, 04:02pm
Ch1town

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damian
Last week, I had a spot throw in on the end line. After throwing the ball in, the thrower ran along the baseline out of bounds and came in the other side of the lane while the ball was being passed around the top to get probably back to him.

I immediately called a violation. This year, there was a rule change stating that a player that was legally out of bounds and did not return would be charged a technical. I knew the rule, but it just seemed too severe. So, I just called it using last years interpretation. Has this happened to anyone else?

In 10.3.3 Situation A the official called the T after the player received the pass back NOT prior to.
I think the only way to tell if the act was to purposely &/or deceitfully delay return is to let the player receive the return pass... then whack 'em. if they delay return but don't get the ball back, do we really need that game interupter??

It's tough to call a technical or in your case of judgement a violation for something you said was "probable".
Old Mon Dec 03, 2007, 04:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch1town
In 10.3.3 Situation A the official called the T after the player received the pass back NOT prior to.
I think the only way to tell if the act was to purposely &/or deceitfully delay return is to let the player receive the return pass... then whack 'em. if they delay return but don't get the ball back, do we really need that game interupter??

It's tough to call a technical or in your case of judgement a violation for something you said was "probable".
Your point isn't bad, but I think there are many times an official could judge whether the delay was purposeful as part of a play even if he didn't receive the ball.
Old Mon Dec 03, 2007, 04:29pm
Ch1town

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw3018
Your point isn't bad, but I think there are many times an official could judge whether the delay was purposeful as part of a play even if he didn't receive the ball.
True, but I was just pointing out how the case book play relates to the same exact play the OP described.
Old Mon Dec 03, 2007, 05:18pm
Official Forum Member

And the change you were reffering to I believe was related to going out of bounds for an unauthorized reason. For instance, to get around a screen. If memory serves me (I am at work and no books) this was a T a couple years ago and then changed to a violation because no one was calling it.
Old Mon Dec 03, 2007, 05:29pm
Do not give a damn!!

You need to read the rules changes at the beginning of the rulebook this year. There was a clarification in 10-3-3 and I believe the clarification that a player cannot deceitfully delaying a return to the court. This was not about what took place in the past. That was a different issue.

Peace
Old Mon Dec 03, 2007, 05:34pm
Official Forum Member

My bad.... I didn't read OP as well as I thought. I thought there was a question somewhere in the post about violation vs T for an OOb sitch and the going out of bounds one popped in my head...

I'll go back to being quiet now.....
Old Mon Dec 03, 2007, 05:44pm
Official Forum Member

WHACK!

It's a T for me if they go to other side of lane. I called it 4-5 times last year. I explained to the coach after I called it. I never got any grief. Too severe? Maybe, but it's a rule. Preventive officiating? Yes, totally agree if possible like it the thrower is standing there but tough to do when they take off running for the opposite corner.

If we don't call it cause they don't get the ball and they keep doing it, then someone is supposed to call it when they do get the ball? Then they wonder, why I have been doing all year and now I get a technical. It's an unfair advantage, give them the T.
Old Mon Dec 03, 2007, 06:20pm
Official Forum Member

Off Topic - but not hi-jacking the thread

Damian,
I wanted to PM you, but you have that shut off. Might you enable PMs?
Old Mon Dec 03, 2007, 10:30pm
Official Forum Member

Too bad that some officials still believe that they know better what is appropriate for the HS game than the NFHS committee members.

They write the rules the way that they are for a reason. They ask us to enforce them as written without imposing our own personal philosophies. It seems that people are still unwilling to do that.

Notwithstanding that the OP is also wrong about what rule has changed and what was the ruling last season.

The following two quotes have no place in HS officiating:

"I knew the rule, but it just seemed too severe."

"...do we really need that game interupter??"

I'll leave the rest of the chastising to Jurassic. I know how fond he is of people saying game interrupter.