The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jul 04, 2011, 10:37am
Official Forum Member

How the hell can this happen?

Three-ball walk gives Padres a 1-0 win over Mariners - Big League Stew - MLBBlog - Yahoo! Sports
Old Mon Jul 04, 2011, 10:54am
Official Forum Member

Bunch of crybabies.....who is to say that if he got one more pitch, he wouldn't have hit it out of the park?

I think the bigger story here is that a pitcher threw a complete game
Old Mon Jul 04, 2011, 02:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
...I think the bigger story here is that a pitcher threw a complete game
I think the pendulum is swinging back just a bit on the pitch count idea.

The decline in complete games from historical norms was dramatic once pitch count took over...

Year Complete Games
1974 1,089
1984 632
1994 255
2004 150

However, this season indicates that maybe the rule of the pitch count is losing steam. It started a few year ago with the Texas Rangers, with Nolan Ryan's influence as team President on how they managed their pitchers.

So far this season, 2 pitchers have 6 complete games (Shields and Halladay) and 7 have 3 complete games, with Lee pitching 3 complete game shutouts in a row. 67 MLB pitchers have at least 1 complete game this season. A total of 104 complete games have been pitched so far, just short of the half-way point (if my quick addition of the MLB stat charts is correct).

It's still not "old school" but at least the tyranny of the pitch count seems to be losing influence over managers.
Old Mon Jul 04, 2011, 02:20pm
Official Forum Member

The PU assumed the scoreboard was correct, rather than his indicator, and no one objected.

I guess it has been years and years since he called a game with amateur scoreboard operators... I would not even CONSIDER the possibility the scoreboard was correct!
Old Mon Jul 04, 2011, 02:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
I think the pendulum is swinging back just a bit on the pitch count idea.

The decline in complete games from historical norms was dramatic once pitch count took over...

Year Complete Games
1974 1,089
1984 632
1994 255
2004 150

However, this season indicates that maybe the rule of the pitch count is losing steam. It started a few year ago with the Texas Rangers, with Nolan Ryan's influence as team President on how they managed their pitchers.

So far this season, 2 pitchers have 6 complete games (Shields and Halladay) and 7 have 3 complete games, with Lee pitching 3 complete game shutouts in a row. 67 MLB pitchers have at least 1 complete game this season. A total of 104 complete games have been pitched so far, just short of the half-way point (if my quick addition of the MLB stat charts is correct).

It's still not "old school" but at least the tyranny of the pitch count seems to be losing influence over managers.
I have the Nolan Ryan book (signed) Throwing Heat....while reading it, I was utterly amazed at the number of complete games the pitchers used to throw back in the 70's.

One of my buddies Dad had 4 great season tickets for the Astros at the Dome in the 3rd base Box section (right where Jose Cruz used to hit foul balls).......We always tried to time his getting the tickets to when either JR Richard or Nolan was pitching. He had three brothers, so sometimes it was tough.....

On a side note to older Astros fans.....does anyone remember what a "Foamer" was?

Joel

If nobody does....I will fill you in later....it was a hell of a promotion.....I bet Deputy UIC remembers........lol
Old Mon Jul 04, 2011, 03:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
The PU assumed the scoreboard was correct, rather than his indicator, and no one objected.

I guess it has been years and years since he called a game with amateur scoreboard operators... I would not even CONSIDER the possibility the scoreboard was correct!
Well, this is baseball, big league baseball so I'm sort of surprised that anyone is shocked.
Old Mon Jul 04, 2011, 08:00pm
Official Forum Member

Completely off topic......

My middle daughter was at an Astros game a couple of weeks ago at Minute Maid Park (box seats along the 3rd base line).....and late in the game she took a line shot off of her ponytail. She was not paying attention and talking to a girlfriend.

I started taking them to ball games when they were little....always told them to pay attention during live action.....if that ball were hit a few inches more towards home plate, I would be minus a daughter.

Her older sister still laughs when her sister tells the story. I have tried to find it on youtube........but MLB won't allow their content on there. Brigid did say that she was surrounded by Astros personell immediately making sure she was ok. She was lucky that she only had her ponytail thrown askew.

When I was in college....UT used to play the AA San Antonio Dodgers every year in an exhibition. Aluminum bats had become the norm in college and any hit off the end of a college bat just died......thud

Completely different off the end of a wood bat.....I was 3-5 rows up on the first base side and a line shot off of one of the SAD bats was coming straight at me. I juked into the lap of the young lady to my left. The ball hit the knee cap of the woman behind me and I swear it went at least 50' in the air. She sadly left before the end of the game.

If I would not been paying attention.....I would have gotten drilled in the chest or higher.

Joel
Old Mon Jul 04, 2011, 11:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf Coast Blue View Post
Completely off topic......

My middle daughter was at an Astros game a couple of weeks ago at Minute Maid Park (box seats along the 3rd base line).....and late in the game she took a line shot off of her ponytail. She was not paying attention and talking to a girlfriend.

I started taking them to ball games when they were little....always told them to pay attention during live action.....if that ball were hit a few inches more towards home plate, I would be minus a daughter.

Her older sister still laughs when her sister tells the story. I have tried to find it on youtube........but MLB won't allow their content on there. Brigid did say that she was surrounded by Astros personell immediately making sure she was ok. She was lucky that she only had her ponytail thrown askew.

When I was in college....UT used to play the AA San Antonio Dodgers every year in an exhibition. Aluminum bats had become the norm in college and any hit off the end of a college bat just died......thud

Completely different off the end of a wood bat.....I was 3-5 rows up on the first base side and a line shot off of one of the SAD bats was coming straight at me. I juked into the lap of the young lady to my left. The ball hit the knee cap of the woman behind me and I swear it went at least 50' in the air. She sadly left before the end of the game.

If I would not been paying attention.....I would have gotten drilled in the chest or higher.

Joel
Man, Joel, when you go off topic, you GO off topic!!!

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Tue Jul 05, 2011, 03:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi View Post
Man, Joel, when you go off topic, you GO off topic!!!
Well, you can't say I didn't warn you.

Joel