The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 28, 2011, 02:10pm
Official Forum Member

Post Newbie trying to learn as much as possible

just started umpiring this past season. Church league, and a myriad of youth leagues, co-ed adult, and open league. mostly slow pitch but a little fastpitch thrown in the mix too. just wanted to throw this out and see what kind of responses i get. Im very new and very young whats INYO the best advice you have
Old Tue Jun 28, 2011, 02:41pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheway View Post
just started umpiring this past season. Church league, and a myriad of youth leagues, co-ed adult, and open league. mostly slow pitch but a little fastpitch thrown in the mix too. just wanted to throw this out and see what kind of responses i get. Im very new and very young whats INYO the best advice you have
First and foremost, continue caring about learning.
Second, find a good mentor (good knowledge and cares about you)
Third, listen. Try each advice and learn how to tell if it is helping.
Fourth, study, attend clinics, LISTEN and USE.
Fifth, don't overload. Your assortment looks like enough to start, one sanction, two if one is NFHS.
Sixth, study, attend clinics, LISTEN and USE.
Seventh, same as first.
Old Tue Jun 28, 2011, 02:42pm
Official Forum Member

1. Read the rulebook. Don't just know the rules, know how to apply them.

2. Get a mentor. Find an experienced umpire in your area that knows what they are doing and pick their brain, watch them work, ask questions, etc.

3. Work as much as you can, at any level you can.
Old Tue Jun 28, 2011, 03:31pm
Official Forum Member

Slow down--almost all young umpires are way too quick with their calls
Old Tue Jun 28, 2011, 04:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
All good responses above with just a couple to add.

I will admit I quit doing this, but in the first several years I kept a journal. After your games, write a brief entry into what went on in the game. How you felt your strikezone was, and funny plays you weren't sure about, things you think you may have screwed up or done right.....etc. Also include division and ages (maybe even team names and score....I rarely did that unless something memorable happened). Leave some space underneath to write in rule references and what-not when you have time to look them up.

Do this when you get home while they are fresh on your mind. If you have real stamina and do this for a long time....you will have a history of your umpiring past.

Admit and learn from your mistakes. Don't get defensive when a good umpire corrects (even little things) you or makes suggestions.

Oh.....already said....but get a mentor.

Joel
Old Tue Jun 28, 2011, 05:10pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by SE Minnestoa Re View Post
Slow down--almost all young umpires are way too quick with their calls
thanks to all for your advice i will certainly use it.

minnesota how do you "slow down" im a basketball official as well and im used to bang bang calls just now moving up in officiating learning how to let the play "develop" any more advice is greatly appreciated
Old Tue Jun 28, 2011, 05:31pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to argodad
Best advice is SLOW DOWN.

Secondly, keep the willing-to-learn attitude.

Thirdly, work on one or two things every game that will make you a better umpire.

Fourthly(?), hit this forum regularly. These folks are the tops on line.
Old Tue Jun 28, 2011, 05:47pm
Official Forum Member

All the above. Plus, dress properly. If you're dressed like an umpire when you walk on the field you've already done one thing right.
Old Tue Jun 28, 2011, 06:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

minnesota how do you "slow down" im a basketball official as well and im used to bang bang calls just now moving up in officiating learning how to let the play "develop" any more advice is greatly appreciated
Just because a play is bang-bang does not mean that your call has to be.

The only time you can get away with rushing a call is on a safe play at first. If you are really concentrating and you know the runner beat the throw by a whisker......you can go on ahead and make a "sell safe" call. You still have to call it after the runner has touched first though............

Everyone here has seen umpires who call balls and strikes before they are in the catcher's mitt. Pause and rethink what you saw and then make your call.

If it is a close out, you might pause for just a bit while rewinding in your head and then make the sell out call. Remember......never guess an out....think it over for just a second. Then make the call.

Joel
Old Tue Jun 28, 2011, 10:02pm
Official Forum Member

5 Must Know "Rules" of Softball

1. Fair Ball

2. Foul Ball

3. Infield Fly Rule

4. Interference

5. Obstruction

Know these 5 things backward and forward...know how to recognize each...know how to apply the rule for each...and know how to explain them to a coach/player.

These 5 things occur repeatedly in almost every single softball game whether is slow pitch or fast pitch.

And while "fair" and "foul" might seem to be overly simplistic, I've seen umpires screw these two calls up more times than I'd like to recall.

If you're calling fast pitch you might also want to add Dropped Third Strike and also the Look Back Rule.

Good luck.
Old Tue Jun 28, 2011, 10:12pm
Official Forum Member

Timing, timing, timing.
Work on developing good timing. Good timing is what slows you down. Good timing is what sells the call for you. Good timing helps your judgement. Good timing is what will help make you a good umpire.
Welcome to umpiring and the forum. Good luck.
Old Tue Jun 28, 2011, 10:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeputyUICHousto View Post
1. Fair Ball

2. Foul Ball

3. Infield Fly Rule

4. Interference

5. Obstruction

Know these 5 things backward and forward...know how to recognize each...know how to apply the rule for each...and know how to explain them to a coach/player.

These 5 things occur repeatedly in almost every single softball game whether is slow pitch or fast pitch.

And while "fair" and "foul" might seem to be overly simplistic, I've seen umpires screw these two calls up more times than I'd like to recall.

If you're calling fast pitch you might also want to add Dropped Third Strike and also the Look Back Rule.

Good luck.
Great list...I'd add the Illegal Pitch Rule for both FP&SP softball.
Old Tue Jun 28, 2011, 11:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf Coast Blue View Post
Don't get defensive
Here's a big one. Don't get defensive with players either. You need to have thick skin and selective hearing especially in men's SP. Don't let them get in your head or under your skin. Makes for a very long evening or day of softball.

The only other thing I have to add is "HAVE FUN". It's just a game.
Old Wed Jun 29, 2011, 02:10am
Official Forum Member

I agree with what has been posted. The biggest thing I get from players is a comment on how well I hustle to cover a play. Way too many umpires in the SP league I work in make almost every call from behind the plate. Anticipate where the play will be and get there as quick as you can. You may kick a call every now and then but trust me, you will get much less argument if you are out there in position to make the call.

The post on the 5 topics above is very good as well. Those are the calls you will make 95% of the time. The rest will come as you review the rule book and by doing games. If you make a mistake, take the time to learn from it. Don't beat yourself up if you do. Just keep it in your memory bank for future reference.

I enjoy umpiring very much and as a fellow 3 year newbie I almost always learn something, both good or bad, from the people I work with almost every game.

Have a great time.
Old Wed Jun 29, 2011, 06:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

A couple of things come to mind:

1 - I always assume the fielder WILL drop the ball, and it's up to them to prove to me they have it. This keeps me from rushing my "out!" calls.

2 - In slow pitch, wait until the catcher has the ball before you call "ball" or "strike." Once it hits the ground beyond the plate, wait 1 second and then make your call. Get into a rhythm.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.