The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jul 02, 2011, 08:53pm
Official Forum Member

:-(

Unfortunately, my attempt at humor in remembering the "drills" Bernie Profato made us do at NUS wasn't quite so humorous...sorry.

I remember doing the three man drill with Bernie where he gives you a hand signal and you all three have to make the same call. If you do not, they you get to do over hand outs from 1st base all the way to the outfield fence. And finally, when the three of you get it right and you're high fiving each other, Bernie will throw his hand up and everyone is supposed to yell "Dead Ball!!!". And if you're not paying attention, guess what you get to do...yep. Over hand outs.

Great learning tool to get umpires to hesitate that split second but that the ball is quite important.
Old Sat Jul 02, 2011, 09:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeputyUICHousto View Post
Unfortunately, my attempt at humor in remembering the "drills" Bernie Profato made us do at NUS wasn't quite so humorous...sorry.
No, it is humorous for anyone who has experienced Bernie.
Quote:

I remember doing the three man drill with Bernie where he gives you a hand signal and you all three have to make the same call. If you do not, they you get to do over hand outs from 1st base all the way to the outfield fence. And finally, when the three of you get it right and you're high fiving each other, Bernie will throw his hand up and everyone is supposed to yell "Dead Ball!!!". And if you're not paying attention, guess what you get to do...yep. Over hand outs.

Great learning tool to get umpires to hesitate that split second but that the ball is quite important.
Though he could be mean at times Saw him rip up a blank certificate that was supposed to be that of a kid who happened to have nodded off during a lecture by Bernie. When awarding the certificates and it came time for this 14 yo kid to receive his, Bernie put on a show ripping up the certificate. Poor kid damn near came to tears. Felt bad for him.
Old Sun Jul 03, 2011, 08:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
No, it is humorous for anyone who has experienced Bernie.
I am laughing.
Old Mon Jul 04, 2011, 10:26am
Official Forum Member

I would have to agree!

Bernie was an experience!