View Single Post
Old Tue Jun 28, 2011, 04:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheway View Post
just started umpiring this past season. Church league, and a myriad of youth leagues, co-ed adult, and open league. mostly slow pitch but a little fastpitch thrown in the mix too. just wanted to throw this out and see what kind of responses i get. Im very new and very young whats INYO the best advice you have
All good responses above with just a couple to add.

I will admit I quit doing this, but in the first several years I kept a journal. After your games, write a brief entry into what went on in the game. How you felt your strikezone was, and funny plays you weren't sure about, things you think you may have screwed up or done right.....etc. Also include division and ages (maybe even team names and score....I rarely did that unless something memorable happened). Leave some space underneath to write in rule references and what-not when you have time to look them up.

Do this when you get home while they are fresh on your mind. If you have real stamina and do this for a long time....you will have a history of your umpiring past.

Admit and learn from your mistakes. Don't get defensive when a good umpire corrects (even little things) you or makes suggestions.

Oh.....already said....but get a mentor.

Joel