The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Wed Jun 08, 2011, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

My First Ever Official Protest

For the first time in my umpiring career, last night one of my calls was officially protested. The sad part is, due to an oddly written local rule, I might just lose this one!

16U rec league game, using NFHS rules as the "default" and about five pages of "local rules" (pretty standard stuff, like the run rule, continuous batting order, time limits, etc.).

Here is the play: Batter has two strikes, one out, first base not occupied. The next pitch is swung at and missed. The pitch then hits the ground, rebounds off the catcher and rolls up toward the plate.

Batter-runner takes off for first base. F2 retreives the ball near the plate, then steps in front of the plate to make the throw. F3 is positioned on the white base to receive the throw.

But...the throw is a bad one. To catch it, F3 had to move directly over the orange safety base. She catches the ball- well before the B/R gets there- with one foot on the orange base, the other stretched out into foul territory. B/R then touches the orange base as she overruns first.

I called the B/R safe as F3 never touched the white bag. Since the throw came from the fair side of the first base foul line, this is not a play where the defense is entitled to use the orange base to complete the play. (NFHS 8-10-2a).

Defensive coach questions the call and states that the defense may use either base on any dropped third strike play. I explain to him the reason I called the B/R out and that my call stands. He files an official protest, we play on without further problems.

Sounds pretty cut and dried that a protest won't fly here. But there is more to the story...

Last year, this league's local rules included some examples of when the defense can use either base (I guess the ones in the NFHS rule books they distribute aren't good enough). One of the league's helpful hints was that the defense could use the orange base "on any play coming from foul ground".

Last year I pointed out that this was incorrect- or, at least, not in compliance with the NFHS rules. I was told that the wording of the league rule would be revised to reflect the NFHS rule (ie: throw must be coming from the foul side of first base).

Back to last night's game...I make this call and the coach files his protest. I'm sure he's wrong and I'm right.

First thing I do when I get home is pull up their on-line league rules. Yes, the above mentioned rule had been changed...for the worse! Instead of saying that the defense could use the orange base "on any play coming from foul ground", it now reads that they can use the orange base "on any dropped third strike"!

Based on that local league rule- which appears to have been written by someone who really doesn't understand the high school rules and which I was told was going to be revised to match them- this one just might fly.

Guess I'll find out in a few days...

Last edited by BretMan; Wed Jun 08, 2011 at 11:01am.