The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 27, 2011, 08:11pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to shipwreck
Alabama vs Stanford PU

In my opinion, the PU is setting up way too high. His head heighth is just about the same as the batters. Also I sure have seen a lot of the plate stances where the PU places his hands on his knees. Looks to me like an easy way to break a bone in a hand if hit. Dave
Old Fri May 27, 2011, 08:20pm
Official Forum Member

Looks a bit high but it could also be the angle of the TV camera. How about that obstruction call against Stanford? To take a koncokdown like that and then get called for obstruction. The SS sure did get the short end of the stick on that play. Ouch!
Old Fri May 27, 2011, 08:55pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to shipwreck
It sure looks like basically the same camera angle we see on every other game and their heighth looks good. I just believe he is setting up too high. Dave
Old Fri May 27, 2011, 09:10pm
Official Forum Member

'Jerry Davis'..... ............... (sigh)
Old Sat May 28, 2011, 07:42pm
Official Forum Member

If you're refering to the "Gerry Davis" stance, hands should be on the knees with the "crotch" of the thumb resting over the knee, and if possible locked under the upper edge of the shin guard a bit. This puts the fingers on the outer edge of the knee and the thumb on the inner edge, minimizing the exposure- at least so it's not like a finger lying on an anvil waiting for the hammer to hit! This also tends to rotate the forearms inward a bit, so a hit to the arm hits the fleshy underside, not directly to bone.
Old Sat May 28, 2011, 08:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretMan View Post
If you're refering to the "Gerry Davis" stance, hands should be on the knees with the "crotch" of the thumb resting over the knee, and if possible locked under the upper edge of the shin guard a bit. This puts the fingers on the outer edge of the knee and the thumb on the inner edge, minimizing the exposure- at least so it's not like a finger lying on an anvil waiting for the hammer to hit! This also tends to rotate the forearms inward a bit, so a hit to the arm hits the fleshy underside, not directly to bone.
Well, seen a lot of this stance in the past 10 days and I still do not like it. As others previously pointed out, the umpire can still adjust to the top of the strike zone by adjusting their stance, but from what I've seen, that just isn't happening.

As previously noted, just don't like any set which locks you into a position. I grew up experimenting with the scissors (killed my back as a teenager, is would bury me now ) , something similar to ASA's stance when using a balloon and to a stance very similar to what people think is new with GD when I went to in inside CP. In the 70's, found myself sticking with the foot positioning, but moving my hands off my legs and keeping the shoulders back a little more. Adjusted to batter's height by "lifting" with my legs. Only when moving over to softball did I start widening my stance to make it easier on the legs and back to adjust to the batter's height.

But, to each their own.
Old Sun May 29, 2011, 10:03am
Official Forum Member

In my neck of the Woods some of us jokingly call it the 'Jerry Nadeau', so I am not surprised I misspelled the name
Quote:
Originally Posted by BretMan View Post
If you're refering to the "Gerry Davis" stance,