View Single Post
Old Sat May 28, 2011, 08:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretMan View Post
If you're refering to the "Gerry Davis" stance, hands should be on the knees with the "crotch" of the thumb resting over the knee, and if possible locked under the upper edge of the shin guard a bit. This puts the fingers on the outer edge of the knee and the thumb on the inner edge, minimizing the exposure- at least so it's not like a finger lying on an anvil waiting for the hammer to hit! This also tends to rotate the forearms inward a bit, so a hit to the arm hits the fleshy underside, not directly to bone.
Well, seen a lot of this stance in the past 10 days and I still do not like it. As others previously pointed out, the umpire can still adjust to the top of the strike zone by adjusting their stance, but from what I've seen, that just isn't happening.

As previously noted, just don't like any set which locks you into a position. I grew up experimenting with the scissors (killed my back as a teenager, is would bury me now ) , something similar to ASA's stance when using a balloon and to a stance very similar to what people think is new with GD when I went to in inside CP. In the 70's, found myself sticking with the foot positioning, but moving my hands off my legs and keeping the shoulders back a little more. Adjusted to batter's height by "lifting" with my legs. Only when moving over to softball did I start widening my stance to make it easier on the legs and back to adjust to the batter's height.

But, to each their own.