The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jun 02, 2011, 06:13am
Official Forum Member

Strike three rolls under fence

This happened last night. Bases loaded nobody out, batter swings and misses for strike three. Catcher misses the ball completely and it goes through a hole under the backstop out of play. All three base runners just stand there. Are all of the base runners awarded a base?
Old Thu Jun 02, 2011, 06:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amcnewman View Post
This happened last night. Bases loaded nobody out, batter swings and misses for strike three. Catcher misses the ball completely and it goes through a hole under the backstop out of play. All three base runners just stand there. Are all of the base runners awarded a base?
Yes. The batter is out and each runner is advanced one base. ASA 8.5.C, NFHS 8.4.3.c (even though the wording could be improved)
Old Thu Jun 02, 2011, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

Does that rule not state "when a pitched ball that remains alive lodges or goes under or over or through the backstop" so my question becomes, is a dropped third strike ball dead or alive if the bases are loaded with nobody out?
Old Thu Jun 02, 2011, 12:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amcnewman View Post
Does that rule not state "when a pitched ball that remains alive lodges or goes under or over or through the backstop" so my question becomes, is a dropped third strike ball dead or alive if the bases are loaded with nobody out?
With first base occupied and less than two outs, the dropped third strike rule does not apply. Batter is out on third strike, the ball remains live just like every other pitch not touching the batter or fouled, until it rolls under the fence.

The runners do advance one base on the pitched ball leaving the field of play.
Old Thu Jun 02, 2011, 12:41pm
Official Forum Member

To answer that question I have a question. What would make it a dead ball? Did any of those happen in this case?

Dropped 3rd are always live balls runners can advance at their own risk, the only questions is if the batter-runner can attempt to advance to 1st in your case the answer is NO. So as Irish already stated all runners advance 1 base, batter is out, bring me the next up to bat
Old Thu Jun 02, 2011, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveASA/FED View Post
To answer that question I have a question. What would make it a dead ball? Did any of those happen in this case?
Whom are you answering?

Last edited by CecilOne; Fri Jun 03, 2011 at 06:30am. Reason: grammar correction
Old Thu Jun 02, 2011, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member

Thank all you have been very helpful
Old Thu Jun 02, 2011, 01:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
Who are you answering?
He's obviously answering himself!

The more pertinent question would be, "Whom are you questioning?" I assume the OP.
Old Thu Jun 02, 2011, 02:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Who are you answering?
Post 3, it seems to me.

West Houston Mike
Old Fri Jun 03, 2011, 10:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Whom are you answering?
Yes sorry I was answering, or questioning post from yesterday at 5:34. About if the ball is live or dead.
Old Fri Jun 03, 2011, 03:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
... NFHS 8.4.3.c (even though the wording could be improved)
1. "The batter is awarded first base only on the fourth ball." (The batter is awarded only first base on the fourth ball.)
2. "The batter is awarded first base only on the fourth ball." (The batter is awarded first base on the fourth ball only.)

You are right about the wording needing to be improved. I don't know if they are dangling a participial or prepositional phrase, but they've dangled something. I always read it as #1. Perhaps because the new guys, including me when I was new, always ask, "Does that it mean on ball four they get second?" And in response we point them to that statement.

On a dropped third stike going out of play, I would have awarded the BR first if they otherwise had the right to occupy it. Since #2 above is certaining different than that, I'm not sure what I'd do now. It has not happened since '89. Maybe it will keep not happening on the fields I'm on, at least until the wording is redone.