The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 09, 2011, 08:26am
Official Forum Member

I use the same mask and shingaurds for fastpitch as I do in @#%%ball. Both are Diamond the mask being the light weight model.

Fit and comfort are tops for my choice. I use the Schutt Comfort chest protector for that reason. Some don't use a CP (one guy frequents here). Those aren't being macho, just their decision and trade off of need vs comfort.

Another item that has not been addressed (and where I trade comfort for need) is the plate shoes. I wear the same shoes behind the plate that I do on base. Just haven't found a comfortable pair. I have been hit in the foot and it does sting, but because of the size of the softball vs a baseball the force is spread over a larger area. You may not want to chance it, so look into plate shoes.

My wife found and uses a pair of steel toed Skechers (sp?) and loves them. I have yet to find them in my size.

If you can find an equipment store and try stuff on, or try on some of your friends stuff you may be better able to choose.

You will want new kees after your first couple of games! Can't help you there! Hope you enjoy the fastpitch side. It can be fun.
Old Mon May 09, 2011, 08:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEL View Post
Another item that has not been addressed (and where I trade comfort for need) is the plate shoes. I wear the same shoes behind the plate that I do on base. Just haven't found a comfortable pair.
See above post. Tanel, hands down..
Old Mon May 09, 2011, 08:48am
Official Forum Member

I bought a pair of Tanel plate shoes about five years ago and really liked them. After about four seasons (I would estimate somewhere in the neighborhood of 200 plate games), despite taking good care of them they really began to show their age. The surface finish began peeling and cracking in spots, the metatarsal guards started to rip loose at the seam where they are sewn on, they have heavy wear and cracking at the "hinge" where your foot bends right next to the steel toe box and a couple of the eyelets where you lace them up ripped out.

Normal wear and tear? I don't know. Maybe 200 games is just the life expectancy for these shoes. They look good and feel great when they're newer. Even my well-worn Tanels look pretty decent with a good polishing and I keep them in my bag in case I wind up on a muddy field.

Last year I bought a pair of the new Rebok plate shoes and love them. I guessing about 50-60 games on them so far and no apparent wear issues. To me, these feel like a pair of tennis shoes, really comfortable and excellent protection. One issue "ASA-wise"...they do have white lettering on the heel and a while logo (about 1" square) on the tongue. I may try to black those out if I find a good way to do it. The old magic marker routine can look pretty cheesy if the white still bleeds through.
Old Mon May 09, 2011, 09:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretMan View Post
I bought a pair of Tanel plate shoes about five years ago and really liked them. After about four seasons (I would estimate somewhere in the neighborhood of 200 plate games), despite taking good care of them they really began to show their age. The surface finish began peeling and cracking in spots, the metatarsal guards started to rip loose at the seam where they are sewn on, they have heavy wear and cracking at the "hinge" where your foot bends right next to the steel toe box and a couple of the eyelets where you lace them up ripped out.

Normal wear and tear? I don't know. Maybe 200 games is just the life expectancy for these shoes. They look good and feel great when they're newer. Even my well-worn Tanels look pretty decent with a good polishing and I keep them in my bag in case I wind up on a muddy field.

Last year I bought a pair of the new Rebok plate shoes and love them. I guessing about 50-60 games on them so far and no apparent wear issues. To me, these feel like a pair of tennis shoes, really comfortable and excellent protection. One issue "ASA-wise"...they do have white lettering on the heel and a while logo (about 1" square) on the tongue. I may try to black those out if I find a good way to do it. The old magic marker routine can look pretty cheesy if the white still bleeds through.
A possible tip for prolonged life. I do not use the liquid "polish" with the foam applicator brush like many do. I keep them polished with "real" Kiwi polish in the tin and only when really needed. I always keep them clean, but they may not have a super glossy "shine." I think the liquid stuff contributes to drying out.

Also, weight was important to me. My Tanels weigh 2 lbs 14 oz for the pair of size 11s.

ps - Not in any way knocking your choice of Reboks. Its most important for the individual to be happy with his/her choice. Thats why there are choices out there. My son loves his HEAVY New Balances....
Old Mon May 09, 2011, 09:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbie View Post
A possible tip for prolonged life. I do not use the liquid "polish" with the foam applicator brush like many do. I keep them polished with "real" Kiwi polish in the tin and only when really needed. I always keep them clean, but they may not have a super glossy "shine." I think the liquid stuff contributes to drying out.

Also, weight was important to me. My Tanels weigh 2 lbs 14 oz for the pair of size 11s.

ps - Not in any way knocking your choice of Reboks. Its most important for the individual to be happy with his/her choice. Thats why there are choices out there. My son loves his HEAVY New Balances....
I definitely plan on getting the NB 450s. I had the 350s during the short time they were out, and I LOVED them. I could call games all day in them, and if that's any indication of how the 450s will perform, I'm all in.

I also only use Kiwi polish on my shoes every night. I've never had a pair dry out on me, and I can get them to a good shine in short order (<10 minutes per pair).

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Mon May 09, 2011, 09:26am
Official Forum Member

You also might want to check with the FP guys in your local association. I'm sure that between them they're all using many of the CP, mask, shin guard, and plate shoe brands already mentioned. It would provide you the opportunity to not only get their opinion on the gear they use, but also allow you the opportunity to see and feel up close the weight, durability, protective qualities, and style of the equipment.
Welcome to FP....good luck with your first season.
Old Mon May 09, 2011, 09:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASA/NYSSOBLUE View Post
Mask: Wilson 3009X - Nice compromise between the ridiculously priced titaniums, and he cheaper heavier masks. I had a the classic 3080 before, and I like the padding on this one better.

CP - Have the Pro nine CPU-B works just fine for 18U FP - not too bulky, protects, and comfy as all heck
I have been wondering who has been using my equipment......

I have the same CP and mask.

However, for shin guards I am still using the Ump-Shin, a product that I wish I could still get.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Mon May 09, 2011, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yeah, I've tried them but my feet would work well for a duck!

It's hard to find shoes that fit over swim fins.
Old Mon May 09, 2011, 10:26am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
You will want new kees after your first couple of games! Can't help you there! Hope you enjoy the fastpitch side. It can be fun.
I always do squats before the season, sets of 10 3 times a day, up to sets of 25-30 for about 2 weeks.
Old Mon May 09, 2011, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The Tanel plate shoe's toe box is too cramped for my foot. The steel cuts into the top of my foot when I bend my foot at the toes to walk. I even went to the Tanel HQ and tried on several different sizes from their warehouse... no dice. IMO, they tried to make it look too much like a sneaker, keeping the toe box too short (top to bottom) so the shoe doesn't "look" big.
Old Mon May 09, 2011, 10:46am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to shipwreck
For the CP I use the Pro Nine and love it. For plate shoes I have the New Balance 450's and also love them. They are a little heavy but not too bad. Dave
Old Mon May 09, 2011, 10:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Actually, I do get into the slot and get into the set position, even in SP. Granted, it's not NEARLY as low as, say, on a 10U batter, but for a 6' guy like myself, I can take it. The knees are just fine, and I've already got a pretty wide stance that I feel very comfortable with.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Mon May 09, 2011, 11:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Some don't use a CP (one guy frequents here). Those aren't being macho, just their decision and trade off of need vs comfort.
Maybe not macho, but stupid. Wonder how much comfort they will get from a solid shot in the sternum. I've seen that stop a heart (in a player). On-site EMT on another team/another field is the only reason that guy lived.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon May 09, 2011, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi View Post
I have been wondering who has been using my equipment......

I have the same CP and mask.

However, for shin guards I am still using the Ump-Shin, a product that I wish I could still get.
I've had my ump shins for about 10 years, and I will be sad the day I have to replace them. I have taken some rather hard shots on them (missed pitches, foul balls, etc); they still are worth the price I paid. I saw that Shutt makes a similar design (with the plastic clips rather than then metal, I think they are "comfort lite" or something like that -- anyone use these?)

I just bought to mid top Reebok plate shoes - most comfortable (between Gerry Davis and NB 450). Well worth the price (even if the white is hard to cover.

The shock doctor cup is also great, and unfortunately "field tested" a few weeks ago (that was not my decision).

Shutt Kool vest is a great FP chest protector, however that might be going out of production. Field tested on the collar bone (again, that wasn't my decision). I wear it for all FP, including men's.

I have a shutt mask, but I see the Diamond in my future. My shutt is vinyl coated and is cracking; the Diamond is "powder coated" which I see as the best selling point (well, and the weight).
Old Mon May 09, 2011, 02:30pm
Official Forum Member

Equip Chest Protector - Davis by Wilson Mod # A3290 BLA13
Shoes Spotbilt
Mask - Schutt mod #SCM-CL
Shin guards - Champpro Air tech system mod #CG04