The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 05, 2011, 11:23pm
Official Forum Member

strange end of game appeal

I had a strange situation at the end of my game. Score tied 3-3, runners on 2nd and 3rd, no outs, home team batting bottom of last inning, we're in what I call a "winning run situation." Batter hits a looper to left field, R2 is running full speed to 3rd, R3 hesitates a bit and then runs to home. R3 misses the plate entirely (and never noticed), R2 then crosses the plate. Batter-Runner ends up at 2nd base (but missed touching first base). Defensive coach comes out to appeal the two missed bases anyways as he says it gets him two extra outs in the book. I went ahead and allowed the appeals, called R3 and BR out and R2 scored the winning run instead of R3. Game is still over. I guess allowing that appeal couldn't hurt?
Old Fri May 06, 2011, 07:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bniu View Post
I had a strange situation at the end of my game. Score tied 3-3, runners on 2nd and 3rd, no outs, home team batting bottom of last inning, we're in what I call a "winning run situation." Batter hits a looper to left field, R2 is running full speed to 3rd, R3 hesitates a bit and then runs to home. R3 misses the plate entirely (and never noticed), R2 then crosses the plate. Batter-Runner ends up at 2nd base (but missed touching first base). Defensive coach comes out to appeal the two missed bases anyways as he says it gets him two extra outs in the book. I went ahead and allowed the appeals, called R3 and BR out and R2 scored the winning run instead of R3. Game is still over. I guess allowing that appeal couldn't hurt?
The only thing to remember is that in ASA, an infielder is supposed to make the appeal, not the coach.
Old Fri May 06, 2011, 08:01am
Official Forum Member

Make him do it correctly, but you should absolutely honor the appeals - assuming you'd not yet conferred with your partner, it's entirely possible there's a third appeal out there that you were not yet aware of.

West Houston Mike
Old Fri May 06, 2011, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

There was no 3rd appealable out as R2 touched both 3rd and home. The defensive coach even acknowledged that his team would still lose but he said he wanted the 2 outs on the books anyways so his pitcher's ERA could be a bit lower. I granted it, we shook hands, wished each other well and went our ways.
Old Fri May 06, 2011, 12:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bniu View Post
There was no 3rd appealable out as R2 touched both 3rd and home. The defensive coach even acknowledged that his team would still lose but he said he wanted the 2 outs on the books anyways so his pitcher's ERA could be a bit lower. I granted it, we shook hands, wished each other well and went our ways.
The first point, which was already made, is make them do it right ... by an infielder.

My second point, though, wasn't to tell you that there was a 3rd appeal, but rather that in a sitch like this, you should always allow the appeal (when done properly), even after the game is apparently over. With two umpires out there you aren't CERTAIN of what your partner saw until you can talk to each other, which shouldn't have happened in the short time between the game apparently ending and the coach approaching you.

West Houston Mike