The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Apr 22, 2011, 09:44pm
Official Forum Member

Double Booking

What are some thoughts or opinions about umpires who "double book" dates or cancel out of games or commitments from one game to take another? For instance...book a high school game and then get an oppurtunity to do a college game on the same day. Calls the high school assigner and makes himself or herself all of a sudden unavailable to do the high school game.
Old Fri Apr 22, 2011, 10:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit View Post
What are some thoughts or opinions about umpires who "double book" dates or cancel out of games or commitments from one game to take another? For instance...book a high school game and then get an oppurtunity to do a college game on the same day. Calls the high school assigner and makes himself or herself all of a sudden unavailable to do the high school game.
I think that's someone who needs to find a new vocation.

Honor your commitments, or you have no honor. It's a simple equation.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Fri Apr 22, 2011, 10:38pm
Official Forum Member

Not cool

It would be the last time you worked for me or any assignor I know. I'd make sure to drop a big black ball on you.
Old Fri Apr 22, 2011, 11:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeputyUICHousto View Post
It would be the last time you worked for me or any assignor I know. I'd make sure to drop a big black ball on you.
No kidding. That's just a rat b@st@rd thing to do to an assignor and a partner. There's a reason why ASA has it as the #1 item in their Code of Ethics for Umpires.

I don't care what anyone else says, each game is just as important as another, regardless of the level. If you don't value a commitment to a 10U game as much as you do a commitment to a D1 NCAA game, you've got no self-respect as an umpire. Put forth equal effort towards both, and you will have my (and everyone else's) respect.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Old Sat Apr 23, 2011, 08:16am
Official Forum Member

Honor your committments. Umpiring or otherwise. It is simple. Once you say you are going to be there, BE THERE!!! If something comes up, don't leave your partner hanging 15 minutes before the game.
Old Sat Apr 23, 2011, 09:17am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to argodad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit View Post
You can ask your assigner if he has someone else to cover the lower level game. Most assigners understand. But don't try to pull a fast one. You will get burned. An umpire who is dishonest won't last.
Old Sat Apr 23, 2011, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

I respectfully disagree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by argodad View Post
You can ask your assigner if he has someone else to cover the lower level game. Most assigners understand. But don't try to pull a fast one. You will get burned. An umpire who is dishonest won't last.
You response should be "I'm sorry, I'm already scheduled to call and am unable to make a commitment. However, if my schedule changes I will contact you." You've made a commitment...stick with it.
Old Sat Apr 23, 2011, 08:00pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ASA/NYSSOBLUE
This time of year, our local ASA assignor has ZERO problems if you have a chance to pick up a HS game, which would get you paid almost double what an ASA fee is, instead some kind of local league action.
Old Sat Apr 23, 2011, 09:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASA/NYSSOBLUE View Post
This time of year, our local ASA assignor has ZERO problems if you have a chance to pick up a HS game, which would get you paid almost double what an ASA fee is, instead some kind of local league action.
Our local ASA assignor is of a similar mindset, though I believe it has more to do with HOW the HS scheduling is handled. Since our assignor has more time on his hands (retired) than others, he can spend a little more time on the phone trying to find someone to fill in. He's been a very gracious and patient assignor and mentor, and I consider myself very lucky to work for him.

Which is why I work ONLY for him. And also why in over 10 years of calling for him, I've only canceled on him 4 times (3 of those times were due to serious illness or significant injury). Not a bad track record when I usually call for him 4-6 nights per week from March until November.

Old Sun Apr 24, 2011, 01:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeputyUICHousto View Post
You response should be "I'm sorry, I'm already scheduled to call and am unable to make a commitment. However, if my schedule changes I will contact you." You've made a commitment...stick with it.
IMHO, Larry isn't implying what you think he is... He's saying that IF your assignor has someone else to cover the lower level games, then OK. IF NOT, then he's saying "get you *** on the phone and tell the higher level assignor that you're already occupied." Knowing Larry as well as I do, he's well above taking the higher assignment for glory.
Old Sun Apr 24, 2011, 11:06am
Official Forum Member

I am on page with most of the others here; double booking dates will ruin you. I assign at a local association and if an ump is asked to cover a HS game, I do not have a problem releasing him from a local assignment if we can cover the games. The guys usually call and ask if they can be released from their local assignment to help out the HS assigner. If we can cover the local games, they then accept the HS assignment. I suppose if one of the local umps burned their home association to call a “better” game, they would not work anymore games at the local association. I agree that we should follow a code of ethics and respect our fellow umpires. I would not be happy with someone if they left me solo so they could call a better paying game. The level of play and pay is irrelevant to having integrity and respect for your fellow Blue.
Old Sun Apr 24, 2011, 08:00pm
Official Forum Member

This is a complicated issue with many variables. From my perspective, one of the responsibilities of an assignor (I am talking high school now) is to give people opportunities to move up the officiating ladder. I have no problem with an official in any sport under the right circustances moving vertically and accepting a higher level game if it is offered to them. I would never condone a horizontal move, one high school game for a better high school game. If an umpire has a freshman game and is offered a varsity game, I think it is truly the responsibility of the assignor to help that official grow and move up. Moving from high school to college is the same way. Now that being said, under most circumstances this change must be made with the appropriate time sequence (whatever that might be...really the biggest variable here) to allow for a qualified replacement to be made. The assignor I think has an obligation to allow an official the opportunity to grow and elevate their game by working higher level ball. As far as ASA goes, I would not condone a move from U10 to a U16 game. I think that kind of move is inappropriate.
Assignors at the high school level may also tell their officials that some games are so important that they would like a committment from them not to move off the game if a higher level game is offered. I think that is fair. However for an assignor to say that every game assigned must be stayed on is not fair to the official who may have the opportunity to break into a college league. If my partner had this opportunity I would be glad for them, and not be so selfishly petulant thinking only of how it is impacting me. Be happy for the person that is given an opportunity. Wish them well!
This may not be the popular point of view, but I truly think it is the right thing to do. Establish a good working relationship with your assignor, ask what their feelings are when it comes to these situations and BOTH try to be professional and understanding of each other's position. If the situation is not to your liking, don't work for that unreasonable assignor
As far the example of keeping a U10 game when offered a D1 one game, utterly ridiculous!! How many of us would really keep the U10 game? The least important factor would be the money involved, but let's see...U10 game...$25...D1 game $150 learning experience PRICELESS!! This is not a difficult choice when you factor in the other variables

Bandit does your particular situation involve the GMC high school league in Wisc.? If it does I got the same message from the assignor you did. I will be expressing my personal distaste to him not only for the nasty tone of the message but also his feelings concerning moving up and giving officials more and better opportunities in the officiating world
Old Sun Apr 24, 2011, 08:54pm
Official Forum Member

Without quoting all of mikeref here...

You're right, it all depends. But I think it also speaks volumes when an umpire stands behind their commitments, even if it is to their own "detriment."

That being said, if an opportunity like that DOES come up (D1 game over a 10U local game), I think that the umpire should approach the original assignor and see what they think. Some assignors have no problem with it, some will. Make it clear to them that you made a commitment to them, and that you intend to keep that commitment if a replacement can't be found.

But if you're smart, you'd better save your assignor some of the legwork and try to find your own suitable replacement. THAT speaks volumes as well.

Old Sun Apr 24, 2011, 10:41pm
Official Forum Member

Wisconsin...Nope

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeref View Post
Bandit does your particular situation involve the GMC high school league in Wisc.?
Nope. Indiana
Old Mon Apr 25, 2011, 09:17am
Official Forum Member

I am an assignor and I have no issue with someone taking a higher level game provided I can sent a qualified umpire to the lower level game. For our association, JV is the lowest we work with, then high school. However, four of my umpires (me included) work quite a bit of NCAA ball and most of the time I will let them bug out for the college game.

What I will not put up with for long is dumping one high school game for a supposed better one. If I find out you are doing that, your schedule will be getting thinner in a hurry!