The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 05, 2011, 12:32am
Official Forum Member

NFHS Pay

I am just curious what other states pay for High School Fastpitch Softball for girls?

We are really fortunate in Montana that our Montana Officials Association equalized play for all sports a few years ago.

Right now we make $60 for a varsity game and I beleive $37.50 for a JV game and this is if we do two or three man ball.

Just curious what other states make.
Old Tue Apr 05, 2011, 07:47am

Here in Illinois, the schools set the pay (oftentimes with input from local associations). For a single varsity game, I get anywhere between $50 and $65 and for a double-header, I make anywhere between $80 and $110.
Old Tue Apr 05, 2011, 08:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kleeds View Post
I am just curious what other states pay for High School Fastpitch Softball for girls?

We are really fortunate in Montana that our Montana Officials Association equalized play for all sports a few years ago.

Right now we make $60 for a varsity game and I beleive $37.50 for a JV game and this is if we do two or three man ball.

I believe ALL other states pay for softball!

Below is a link to all Georgia game fees. Note regular season softball is comprarable to the little ball, but JV and state playoffs are out of whack a bit. We also receive a "travel allowance" of $25.00 (per crew) per game that is given to the association to disburse as seen fit.

http://www.ghsa.net/files/documents/...-2010-2011.pdf
Old Tue Apr 05, 2011, 09:27am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to argodad
Quote:

Florida HSAA lists regular season fees at $45 for varsity (2 ump), $40 (3-ump), $35 for JV/freshman. Travel is negotiated between associations and schools with a max of $.60/mile one way.
Old Tue Apr 05, 2011, 09:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by argodad View Post
Florida HSAA lists regular season fees at $45 for varsity (2 ump), $40 (3-ump), $35 for JV/freshman. Travel is negotiated between associations and schools with a max of $.60/mile one way.
Hear in East Central FL, we get the above rate plus $10.00 Flat rate.
We cover an area that is about 80 miles from north to south...

You get one fee (each) per umpire per location.
Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.
Old Tue Apr 05, 2011, 10:00am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ASA/NYSSOBLUE
Here in NY (non-NFHS...so far), the pay is negotiated with the various sections. This is what we currently get in our section, which is in the extreme northern suburbs of NYC (and hold onto your hat):

Modified (Middle School): $62

JV: $71

Varisty: $95

We get assigned by a Section wide education cooperative agency that does all the scheduling (for both schools and officials), assigning AND payments - all withOUT assigning fees.

And they get more down in NYC and on Long Island
Old Tue Apr 05, 2011, 10:00am
Official Forum Member

Arizona:

Varsity - $40.00/game, 2 umpire, some 3 umpire in invitational tournament finals and state tournament from the quarterfinals on.

FR/JV - $35.00/game, 2 umpire, $52.50/game, 1 umpire

In the Metro Phoenix or Tucson area, flat fee of $7.00 for travel.
Outside of the Metro areas, I believe (not sure) $.44/mile with defined mileage between towns. For FR or JV, mileage is paid with the game fee.
For Varsity, mileage is calculated and paid in a check at the end of the season.

Almost all of the High Schools in the state pay officials via Ref Pay.
Old Tue Apr 05, 2011, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

Texas: $40.00 across the board for HS.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Tue Apr 05, 2011, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

In my area of Indiana we get between $55-65 a game and we try to push the schools to pay the same for every level (Freshman, JV and Varsity) most have agreed to do so. Double headers bring anywhere from $95-120. Some will lower the check saying we didn't have to travel twice to umpire the 2nd game, but there is no set travel fee.
Old Tue Apr 05, 2011, 01:33pm
Official Forum Member

Nevada

Las Vegas area officials' compensation is posted on the website:
SNOA Compensation

$38.75 JV
$50.75 Var
Rate * 1.5 for solo JV game.

Everything I've seen is pretty similar to the other states I've been in, (Ohio & Central New York). The modest differences can be explained by the expense and the economic health of the area.
Old Tue Apr 05, 2011, 02:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi View Post
Texas: $40.00 across the board for HS.
Out here in VWT (Very West Texas) we get $40 for varsity and $35 for JV and below. Travel money depends on school location in relation to an agreed upon "bullseye" that is negotiated between our board and the individual school districts. If I am traveling from my west side home to a west side school I can make $16 for driving 2 miles. On the other hand it can be $10 for driving 35 miles.
Old Tue Apr 05, 2011, 02:39pm
Official Forum Member

I should add that in Montana we get $.58/mile if we drive and $.08/mile if we ride in addition to game pay for all out of town games.

In town we recieve no mileage.
Old Tue Apr 05, 2011, 02:41pm
Official Forum Member

ASA/NYSSO Blue:

Are the negotiated rates so high because you have trouble recruiting officials or because of great negotiators.

I tip my hat to the negotiators. I do not umpire for the money but almost $190 for a varsity doubleheader is nothing to sneeze at if you can find it.
Old Tue Apr 05, 2011, 02:43pm
Official Forum Member

One thing that I do truly appreciate about the Montana Pay Scale is that I do not mind investing in new apparel and equipment for High School ball because of the pay.

I do not mind buying new stuff in ASA ball either, but here in my local association we make $20 a game fast or slow so it takes a tad longer to pay off those orders.

However I only have myself to blame for this one since I am the district ASA UIC for my district here in Montana.
Old Tue Apr 05, 2011, 04:29pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ASA/NYSSOBLUE
Quote:
ASA/NYSSO Blue:

Are the negotiated rates so high because you have trouble recruiting officials or because of great negotiators.

I tip my hat to the negotiators. I do not umpire for the money but almost $190 for a varsity doubleheader is nothing to sneeze at if you can find it.
As was stated elsewhere, it is mostly a cost of living thing. Also - we VERY rarely do DHs of any sort in school ball here.

One thing that is kind of weird is that if you are a varsity official, you might get 12-15 games a year - but if you do JV and modified, and are available, you can do a lot more - this year, which is a pretty typical schedule for me, I have scheduled 30 games - of which 25 will be JV, and 5 or so will be modified! This of course will be whittled down by cancellations for rain, dances, whatever. But I sometimes will get taken off a modified and get reassigned to a JV when an official calls in, or there's a reschedule.

We also get if we show up, and the game never starts because of weather or something will get an 'appearance fee' -which is like 25% of our game fee - gas money in other words. Also we have what is called the 'one pitch rule' - meaning if we get the first pitch in, we get the full game fee.

As far as ASA is concerned, we get a straight $39 across the board. Our assignor is very tough with the leagues, as he insists on two umpires for ALL games, plus prepayment before he will schedule anything! We also basically get an additional dollar each succeeding season. Our assignor WILL give a break to some tournaments - especially if it is for a good cause ---especially for parents groups trying to raise money for school sports.