The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Apr 22, 2011, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

The left fielder is called the left fielder for a reason as is the right fielder.
3B and SS are called the left side of the infield.

How is this even a debate.

So in football if you are the defense is the left tackle the right tackle?????
Old Sat Apr 23, 2011, 09:28am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to argodad
Wow. This thread turned to the absurd. Did it turn left or right? (Depends which way you are facing.)
Old Mon Apr 25, 2011, 12:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topper View Post
Are you kidding me? OK I'll play. Left field is to the RIGHT of F3.
OK, now you're just being intentionally stupid to back up your error. A ball hit "to the left of the first baseman" is hit toward the 2nd baseman or between them ... NOT down the line. You made a mistake, we all do. Move on... don't make it dumber.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Apr 25, 2011, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
OK, now you're just being intentionally stupid to back up your error. A ball hit "to the left of the first baseman" is hit toward the 2nd baseman or between them ... NOT down the line. You made a mistake, we all do. Move on... don't make it dumber.
I made a mistake based on what, your opinion?

I can't name an umpire that I work with who would not consider a ball hit "to the left of the first baseman" or "to the first baseman's left" down the line. The fielder's perspective is what is considered.

The whole "left of" issue has deflected the reason for my response to your "First day on a softball field?" comment. Stay on point "Big Time".
Old Mon Apr 25, 2011, 02:33pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
OK, enough is enough. If you two want to bicker, please switch to email.
Old Tue Apr 26, 2011, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topper View Post
I made a mistake based on what, your opinion?

I can't name an umpire that I work with who would not consider a ball hit "to the left of the first baseman" or "to the first baseman's left" down the line. The fielder's perspective is what is considered.

The whole "left of" issue has deflected the reason for my response to your "First day on a softball field?" comment. Stay on point "Big Time".
Not meaning to "bicker"!

The FDonSF comment seems to have been born from your "mistake". I don't know a single umpire, player, coach, or reasonable fan who would look at the field the way you do. By the logic you're using, a ball hit to the RIGHT of the pitcher goes to the LEFT side of the infield or LEFT field... and a ball hit to the LEFT of the pitcher goes to the RIGHT side of the infield or RIGHT field. You want to live that way, fine. I don't really care - your listeners will consider you idiotic if you do, but again, I don't care.

And I don't think it's "big time" to understand which side of the field is which. But that misunderstanding and your insistence that a ball hit to the left of F3 could not possibly be near F4 is what brought my comment. Obviously, if you think about it... to anyone who realizes that LEFT of F3 means toward F4 (or at least between F3 and F4), your comment that you've never seen that before would surely sound like you've never been on the field before.

I'm not trying to Big Time you... I have no place to do so. And I apologize if you took it that way.

West Houston Mike