The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Sep 07, 2004, 01:00pm
Official Forum Member

I just received the following email from another member of my Official's Association.

"I know rule 2 specifically states MD/OD for written authorization to play with a cast

We had a situation Friday that a coach presented a statement signed by a physicians assistant (pa). We, of course could not accept it. However, later he gave us a statement (with a md's letterhead) and had one of those unintelligible signatures with the legal statement "by or for" beside the signature. I know in certain legal situations this is acceptable. However I don't know about this situation. If this was someone's signature other than the physician, there is no assurance that this person is legally authorized to sign for the physician? Or, do we accept it at face value."

Am interested to see what other's thoughts are.
Old Tue Sep 07, 2004, 01:23pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jim S Send a message via AIM to Jim S
The rule says "by a licensed medical physician, MD or OD."
Not by someone signing for them.
CYA. If there is doubt don't approve it. WHere did they all of a sudden come up with this letter? A blank that the coach has in his drawer?

Read Rule 2, Read Rule 2, Read Rule 2!
Old Tue Sep 07, 2004, 01:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim S
The rule says "by a licensed medical physician, MD or OD."
Not by someone signing for them.
CYA. If there is doubt don't approve it. WHere did they all of a sudden come up with this letter? A blank that the coach has in his drawer?
My exact sentiments. I'll find out more details at our rules clinic tonight and pass post more about what happened tomorrow if warrented.
Old Wed Sep 08, 2004, 06:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jack015
I just received the following email from another member of my Official's Association.

"I know rule 2 specifically states MD/OD for written authorization to play with a cast

We had a situation Friday that a coach presented a statement signed by a physicians assistant (pa). We, of course could not accept it. However, later he gave us a statement (with a md's letterhead) and had one of those unintelligible signatures with the legal statement "by or for" beside the signature. I know in certain legal situations this is acceptable. However I don't know about this situation. If this was someone's signature other than the physician, there is no assurance that this person is legally authorized to sign for the physician? Or, do we accept it at face value."

I got some additional information at our rules clinic last night - "later he gave us a statement (with a md's letterhead) and had one of those unintelligible signatures with the legal statement "by or for" beside the signature."

After being presented with this document, they allowed him to play.
Old Wed Sep 08, 2004, 07:16am
Ref Ump Welsch

I know in Iowa that a PA is considered the equivalent of an MD when it comes to the statement for allowing casts, etc. Matter of fact, the IHSAA actually had a list of who are authorized signatures. They are:

a. Medical Doctor (MD)
b. Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine (DO)
c. Doctor of Chiropractic Medicine (DC)
d. Advanced Registered Nurse Practioner (ARNP)
e. Physician's Asssistant (PA)

In Nebraska, they never said anything about any more than an MD or a DO. So, I would suggest contacting your state association regarding an interpretation on this. I think Iowa developed theirs based on state law regarding who can write prescriptions.
Old Wed Sep 08, 2004, 09:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ref Ump Welsch
I know in Iowa that a PA is considered the equivalent of an MD when it comes to the statement for allowing casts, etc. Matter of fact, the IHSAA actually had a list of who are authorized signatures. They are:

c. Doctor of Chiropractic Medicine (DC)

Wow.

If a kid was unconscious and went to a chiropractor, I'd refuse the note and send the kid to a psychiatrist. No offense to anyone who is in the chiropractic field, but they shouldn't be treating head injuries.
Old Wed Sep 08, 2004, 11:33am
Ref Ump Welsch

The Doctor of Chiropractic statement only applies to the use of a cast, not for the unconcious player statement. Iowa still only allows a DO or MD to authorize a unconcious player to return.
Old Wed Sep 08, 2004, 11:35am
Ref Ump Welsch

Just received an email from our coordinator of officials at the Nebraska School Activities Association, the NSAA. Here's what he had to say.

Brent,

The NSAA's interpretation is taken from the NFHS Rules Book. Page 19,
1-5-3c refers to "as directed in writing by a licensed medical physician
(M.D./D.O.)". Also page 39, 3-5-10b refers to an unconscious "player may
not return to play in the game without written authorization from a
physician (M.D./D.O.)".

This is an area the NSAA will continue to monitor, but for now Nebraska
will only accept M.D./D.O. authorizations.

Larry Mollring
NSAA Assistant Director
Supervisor of Officials
Old Wed Sep 08, 2004, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jack015

I agree with most everything else that has been said so far. My only question is this: why couldn't the doctor sign the letter? My father is a doctor, and I know they (doctors) are busy and etc. etc., but why couldn't he or she put his or her signature on the letter? The fact that the physician did not sign the letter adds to my doubt about the said letter.