Thread: True Statement?
View Single Post
Old Tue Apr 26, 2011, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topper View Post
I made a mistake based on what, your opinion?

I can't name an umpire that I work with who would not consider a ball hit "to the left of the first baseman" or "to the first baseman's left" down the line. The fielder's perspective is what is considered.

The whole "left of" issue has deflected the reason for my response to your "First day on a softball field?" comment. Stay on point "Big Time".
Not meaning to "bicker"!

The FDonSF comment seems to have been born from your "mistake". I don't know a single umpire, player, coach, or reasonable fan who would look at the field the way you do. By the logic you're using, a ball hit to the RIGHT of the pitcher goes to the LEFT side of the infield or LEFT field... and a ball hit to the LEFT of the pitcher goes to the RIGHT side of the infield or RIGHT field. You want to live that way, fine. I don't really care - your listeners will consider you idiotic if you do, but again, I don't care.

And I don't think it's "big time" to understand which side of the field is which. But that misunderstanding and your insistence that a ball hit to the left of F3 could not possibly be near F4 is what brought my comment. Obviously, if you think about it... to anyone who realizes that LEFT of F3 means toward F4 (or at least between F3 and F4), your comment that you've never seen that before would surely sound like you've never been on the field before.

I'm not trying to Big Time you... I have no place to do so. And I apologize if you took it that way.

West Houston Mike