The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jun 07, 2003, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member

It seems that I've been encountering a situation more this year than any in the past. I'm having problems finding a good place to see the ball when the batter is "on top of the plate" and the catcher calls for an inside pitch. My slot disappears. I'm only 5'6" and it makes it very hard to call pitches, especially in the upper age brackets ball because of the size of the catchers. Any others run into this problem? If so, what do you suggest I do to get a clear view of the pitch? Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
Old Sat Jun 07, 2003, 01:33pm
Official Forum Member

FED VAR- I've had this happen to me a couple of times this year with a left handed pitcher, a left handed batter and a right handed catcher calling for an inside pitch. The catcher would move into my slot so her glove was lined up on the inside corner, the batter is on the plate and it was impossible to see the pitch leave the pitchers hand. I moved over to the other side of the plate, as if a right handed batter was at the plate, and
called from there. I have heard umps tell the catcher that if they can't see the ball, they can't call strikes and the catcher needs to give them a view. Personally, I feel it is their game and will not tell the catcher to move. I will adjust to allow me to see the strike zone. Of course there are the occaissions when a catcher will pop up in front of the slot just as the pitch is coming in but generally the pitch is high when this happens anyways.
Old Sat Jun 07, 2003, 01:33pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
First, make sure the batter is in the box.
Second, make sure catcher knows that if your view is blocked, it can't be a strike.
p.s. re: Duke's comment, not meant to tell the catcher how to catch, just explaining why it won't be a strike.
Third, get a little higher or to the opposite side of the catcher. Not as good a view, but better than none. Or, try to focus on strike zone only, even if you can't see all you normally see and sometimes you will still be able to judge the pitch.

[Edited by CecilOne on Jun 7th, 2003 at 01:36 PM]
Old Sat Jun 07, 2003, 07:07pm
Official Forum Member

The usual way of trying to fix this is to move back - about a half step - and up. That's easy enough for me to say at 6'1". At 5'6", you may need to follow the advice on moving to the other side, but make this an absolute last resort. I'd suggest that you really try moving back & up, if that still doesn't work, Ball a couple of pitches. Then clean the plate & let the catcher know why they were balls. Part of how to handle this depends on what the level of play is. At 14&U or younger, I might even think about talking to the coach. At the older & more skilled levels, I'd be much more likely to continue "balling" pitches that the catcher didn't let me get a look at.

Steve M
Old Mon Jun 09, 2003, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

Lightbulb It's your responsibility to see the zone.

The only strike zone that I could imagine, of which you wouldn't be able to see the top, is for a 7 foot plus tall batter, in a slow pitch game. Strike zones are not 5 foot high. You should be able to get into a position and see the top of the zone.

Often when I have difficulty, is when the catcher sets up with his head directly in line with the inside edge. My response in the past has been to talk to the catcher. ("I can't call the strikes on the inside edge of the plate if I can't see them. If you can move it will make my job a lot easier.") A few of them recognize my difficult position and will adjust toward the center of the plate. Some are just oblivious.

Rather than call balls to punish the defense, (Which is not what I want; I want to call strikes.) I stand taller with a view above the catcher's head more towards the center of the plate. This allows me to see the entire plate and the entire flight of the ball. As the batter gets set, I might squat to what I feel will be the top of the zone and create a muscle memory for that position; then I stand back up to see the pitch being released. I only drop down as the pitch arrives and I drop to a position away from the catcher's head so I can still see the plate and the catch being made. Having arrived late, I tend to hold this position a little longer also. This is not a great stable mechanic but it seems to be the best I can do to work around dopey, large catchers, and get the best look at the pitch. Being able to see the flight of the ball gives me an additional clue as to where it will cross the plate. (in or out of the zone)

I want to call strikes as often as I can.

[Edited by DownTownTonyBrown on Jun 9th, 2003 at 11:42 AM]