The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 03, 2006, 01:43pm
Official Forum Member

I've worked ASA SP for a few years, and this season will be my first working FP.

What is the correct positioning for the slot? I asked a local UIC, and all he told me was that for a right-handed batter, the umpire's right eye should line up, horizontally, with the inside (or left, from our view) edge of the strike zone, ideally. Can anyone please give me a more specific description?

Thanks.
Old Fri Mar 03, 2006, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

Try this link it should help answer your question in detail.

http://eteamz.active.com/softballumpires/
Old Fri Mar 03, 2006, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

[Edited by Dakota on Mar 3rd, 2006 at 02:23 PM]
Old Fri Mar 03, 2006, 02:25pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

OK when the catcher is so accomodating to
be right in the middle. When the catcher moves inside
you'll probably want to back up and get a little higher up
so you can see what's going on.
When the catcher sets up on the outside corner--stay put !!
That's why you wear gear.
Old Fri Mar 03, 2006, 02:31pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to MNBlue
I haven't been to a national clinic in a few years, when did the proper height for the umpires head change to be in relation to the catcher as opposed to the top of the strike zone?
Old Fri Mar 03, 2006, 02:33pm
Official Forum Member

I shoulda put a disclaimer ... pics stolen from a baseball site (I didn't notice that little line there...) Otherwise, they look like pretty good visuals. Of course, you who are national clinicians may have other things to point out...

[Edited by Dakota on Mar 3rd, 2006 at 02:35 PM]
Old Fri Mar 03, 2006, 04:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MNBlue
I haven't been to a national clinic in a few years, when did the proper height for the umpires head change to be in relation to the catcher as opposed to the top of the strike zone?
It didn't. The reference was when the catcher moves into the slot and blocks your view of the strike zone. It is not the preferred position, but it's better than not seeing the strike zone.
Old Fri Mar 03, 2006, 09:56pm
Official Forum Member

That picture looks pretty much exactly how I set up in the slot. There are two (minor?) differences.

First, I generally line up with my nose on the inside edge of the plate. I try to repeat that alignment on every pitch, but will adjust slightly for any extreme movement by the catcher.

That illustration seems like the umpire is a bit too far inside, with his nose at about the inside line of the batters box.

The other thing I do different is that I have my hands in the opposite positions. That is, my inside hand (left hand for a right-handed batter) goes behind my knee. My right hand would then be tucked as shown.

The reason I got into the habit of doing this was that it seems to protect the hand and forearm better. The hand in the slot is protected by my leg and the hand at my mid-section is behind the catcher. I do just the opposite for a lefty batter.

I have experimented with having both hands tucked at the mid-section, fists touching in the middle. I seemed to take more shots off the inside forearm whith that style.

It isn't my contention that I'm doing it the right, or even best, way. I'm offering this up in hopes of getting the style critiqued. So critique away!

One more question about plate stances. Do any of you use, or have you ever seen a softball umpire use the "Gerry Davis stance"? That stance is probably an entire different thread/topic, but I'm curious if anyone has tried it for softball.
Old Fri Mar 03, 2006, 10:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BretMan
First, I generally line up with my nose on the inside edge of the plate. I try to repeat that alignment on every pitch, but will adjust slightly for any extreme movement by the catcher.

That illustration seems like the umpire is a bit too far inside, with his nose at about the inside line of the batters box.
The actual preferred stance of ASA NUS is that you put your inside ear on the inside corner; that keeps your entire head outside the frame of the strike zone, looking in. With a 4" wide ball, that pretty much defines the inner edge of the strike zone.

The other change I would note is that the "good clearance from the catcher" is actually just a bit excessive. The closer you can get, the better you can see past the catcher to the outside corner, and the less the catcher can block your vision. The recommended distance is only about 6". Further, it is recommended that you turn the foot behind the catcher about 45 degrees; that means that when you bend, your knee turns out away from the catcher, not forward into the catcher.
Old Fri Mar 03, 2006, 11:42pm
Official Forum Member

The stance Steve described is the stance I use. My feet are parallel to the back line of the catcher's box instead of being heel-toe. And my inside leg is 4-6 inches behind the catcher's backside. Another benefit of turning the foot is that I find it easier and less stressful on the knees to get down. I do not put my eyes at the top of the strike zone. I put the bottom of my mask at the top of the catcher's headgear.

When the catcher and/or batter squeeze my area of vision, I move back about 6 inches and raise my head about 6-8 inches.

Bret - Yes, I see some older guys using something like the Gerry Davis stance. But they always have. I think they learned the old AL box stance and they wouldn't know "the slot" if it jumped up & bit them. These are the same guys that see no reason to go to a clinic - after all, they've umped for x number of years and done OK - what more can they learn. What a frustrating group to deal with!

[Edited by Steve M on Mar 3rd, 2006 at 11:45 PM]
Old Sat Mar 04, 2006, 07:01am
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the input, guys.

AtlUmpSteve, you mention turning the foot behind the catcher at 45 degrees. I've found myself doing that unconciously before. I understand what you mean about allowing your knee to clear the catcher.

I've been watching the WBC game this morning and the home plate umpire- whom I believe is a Minor League AAA guy- is doing what you describe, Steve M. There is a pronounced "outward angle" to his feet that caught my eye. Something else to experiment with!

As for the "Gerry Davis" stance, I think that we might be talking bout two different stances. The "GD" is designed for use in the slot and is a relatively newer method that is much more recent than the old American League mechanics.

Here's a link to an "Official Forum" article describing the stance:

http://childress.officiating.com/?d=...is+Part+II.pdf

And a link to a discussion of this stance over on the baseball board:

http://www.officialforum.com/thread/24658

[Edited by BretMan on Mar 4th, 2006 at 07:04 AM]