The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 23, 2011, 10:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Don't know if you missed my point here, but it was that if it is cold enought to wear inappropriate attire, it is cold enough to wear the appropriate attire along with your partner.

As previously noted, I do not expect someone who is cold to go without just because his/her partner thinks it is manly to go without a jacket like those Cheeseheads (that's for you, Dave). OTOH, if it is that cold, I would rather have the umpires in matching uniforms. Again, I'm not asking an umpire to wear unnecessary apparel, just look professional in the appropriate uniform.
I think I'm not the only one who's having trouble following what your position is. So maybe you could break it down for me.

Sit: It's a chilly morning but it'swarming up and I've just done a game behind the plate. I go change for a base game and come back without my jacket because I'm nice and warm. You're a little more sensitive to the cold than me and are wearing a jacket.

Do you think this ok? Do I need to go get my jacket and be too warm? Do you need to go hang up your jacket?
________
VAPORIZER TV

Last edited by youngump; Mon Sep 19, 2011 at 07:49pm.
Old Wed Mar 23, 2011, 10:50pm
Official Forum Member

In NH our NFHS guideline is that if the PU is wearing a jacket, the BU should be also.

However, if the PU decides not to wear a jacket, the BU still has the option of wearing one.

I guess the rationale is that perhaps w/ leg guards and chest protector, that may help to insulate the PU.

Not sure about everywhere else, but some fields have one position that's sunny and another that's in the shade [primarily in A, but that can change somewhat in the later innings when the sun gets low]. For me, the wind is what makes it toughest. Warm at times, but too chilly when that wind whips up.

Oh, BTW, I thought the picture of the glove had 3 colors: red, blue/black, and white. The white "lacing" looked to be additional design and not real lacing on the pocked area of the glove.

Last edited by Tru_in_Blu; Wed Mar 23, 2011 at 10:53pm.
Old Thu Mar 24, 2011, 08:53am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu View Post
Oh, BTW, I thought the picture of the glove had 3 colors: red, blue/black, and white. The white "lacing" looked to be additional design and not real lacing on the pocked area of the glove.
NFHS: 1-4-1a expressly excludes the color of the lacing from being counted as one of the colors. Can we as umpires ever really know whether or not the lacing is "real" or "decorative"? If it's lacing, I'm not worried about its color.
Old Thu Mar 24, 2011, 11:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioBlue View Post
NFHS: 1-4-1a expressly excludes the color of the lacing from being counted as one of the colors. Can we as umpires ever really know whether or not the lacing is "real" or "decorative"? If it's lacing, I'm not worried about its color.
If it's lacing, I'm not worried about its color.

That is not entirely true it can not be the color of the ball or used to be woven in a patten that looks like the ball.

Rule 1, section 4, a and c
Old Thu Mar 24, 2011, 12:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngump View Post
I think I'm not the only one who's having trouble following what your position is. So maybe you could break it down for me.

Sit: It's a chilly morning but it'swarming up and I've just done a game behind the plate. I go change for a base game and come back without my jacket because I'm nice and warm. You're a little more sensitive to the cold than me and are wearing a jacket.

Do you think this ok? Do I need to go get my jacket and be too warm? Do you need to go hang up your jacket?
Don't see what is so difficult about understanding the difference of looking like **** as opposed to professional.

Removing a jacket because you are now too hot is not the same as doing it just to show off or be an *******, partner be damned, or as an alternative to wearing inappropriate clothing.
Old Thu Mar 24, 2011, 12:13pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRabbit View Post
If it's lacing, I'm not worried about its color.

That is not entirely true it can not be the color of the ball or used to be woven in a patten that looks like the ball.

Rule 1, section 4, a and c
Granted. I intended to say, "If it's lacing, I'm not counting it as one of the two allowable colors."
Old Thu Mar 24, 2011, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Don't see what is so difficult about understanding the difference of looking like **** as opposed to professional.

Removing a jacket because you are now too hot is not the same as doing it just to show off or be an *******, partner be damned, or as an alternative to wearing inappropriate clothing.
The difficulty is not in my understanding but your communicating. I'm not really so certain why you are so worked up about this, but I do not comprehend what you are trying to say. To make things clearer, I gave you a simple set of three questions that would allow me to clearly understand your position. If you want to continue try and persuade me of something, you'll have to answer them.
________
Asian Webcams

Last edited by youngump; Mon Sep 19, 2011 at 07:49pm.
Old Thu Mar 24, 2011, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Mike, I think it was you who took it in that direction. I pointed out that in the set of pictures, the base umpire was wearing a short sleeve shirt, and the plate umpire was wearing a jacket. Why this was, no one knows, but I do think that both were dressed professionally, and both exhibited good mechanics (from what we can gather on still photos). It seems the majority of those on the board agree that this is fine, that dressed "a like" was not influenced by who wears a jacket and who wears a shirt. And everyone will agree that looking sloppy in a shirt and/or jacket is totally unprofessional.

You maintain that if you are cold, you are wearing a jacket--That you will not be cold because some "Cheesehead" wants to flaunt their guns (of course, I'm paraphrasing). That's fine. But Youngump gave you the reverse: why must someone be uncomfortably hot because you are sensitive to lower temperatures? I have been on that side of it, as my partner (who's heritage is, well, lets say in the south Pacific) was cold. And the UIC required (yes, required!) me to also have on a jacket. It was May and at least 65 degrees.

Simple solution: Professional attire has a range of style/approved uniforms that can be appropriately paired together. Case in point: yesterday, I drove from rainy/snow in Happy Valley to Steeltown, USA, where It was 60 and sunny (with a brisk wind). I was on the plate, too hot for either of my jackets, too cool for my short sleeve. But there is one more option: the long sleeve. That was perfect on the plate. However, my partner, who refuses to buy a long sleeve, wore a jacket. Trust me, we both were professionally dressed to the letter. This didn't have anything to do with showing off; it had all to do with comfort. We had a great game . . for 3 1/2 innings . . . until the hail storm
Old Thu Mar 24, 2011, 09:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Slick View Post
Mike, I think it was you who took it in that direction. I pointed out that in the set of pictures, the base umpire was wearing a short sleeve shirt, and the plate umpire was wearing a jacket. Why this was, no one knows, but I do think that both were dressed professionally, and both exhibited good mechanics (from what we can gather on still photos).
And to me it looked like the BU was wearing a sweater.

Quote:
It seems the majority of those on the board agree that this is fine, that dressed "a like" was not influenced by who wears a jacket and who wears a shirt. And everyone will agree that looking sloppy in a shirt and/or jacket is totally unprofessional.
Absolutely

Quote:
You maintain that if you are cold, you are wearing a jacket--That you will not be cold because some "Cheesehead" wants to flaunt their guns (of course, I'm paraphrasing). That's fine. But Youngump gave you the reverse: why must someone be uncomfortably hot because you are sensitive to lower temperatures? I have been on that side of it, as my partner (who's heritage is, well, lets say in the south Pacific) was cold. And the UIC required (yes, required!) me to also have on a jacket. It was May and at least 65 degrees.
To me, that is a problem between you and your UIC(s) , but if it is overcast or in the shade and when you get to my age, you will be wearing a jacket doing FP. Then again, you are making enough money, why not have two jackets, one windbreaker and one lined for warmth? Then again, I bet you are wearing a pullover, too, which IMO is just not wearer-friendly in marginal temperatures.

Quote:
Simple solution: Professional attire has a range of style/approved uniforms that can be appropriately paired together. Case in point: yesterday, I drove from rainy/snow in Happy Valley to Steeltown, USA, where It was 60 and sunny (with a brisk wind). I was on the plate, too hot for either of my jackets, too cool for my short sleeve. But there is one more option: the long sleeve. That was perfect on the plate. However, my partner, who refuses to buy a long sleeve, wore a jacket. Trust me, we both were professionally dressed to the letter. This didn't have anything to do with showing off; it had all to do with comfort. We had a great game . . for 3 1/2 innings . . . until the hail storm
Well, you keep using a word that I just don't believe should be pertinent, style. Pfffft!

I do believe with partners dressing alike, it is part of being UNIFORM. It looks professional and I don't give a damn if it meets anyone's perception of style, that isn't why you are on the field.

There are time when an exception may be necessary. HOWEVER, that is what it is, an exception.
Old Fri Mar 25, 2011, 08:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
And to me it looked like the BU was wearing a sweater.
You are talking about a different picture. I'm referring to the accompanying picture with the glove. You are referring to the one embedded. I did not mention the sweater at all (I noticed it, and laughed).

Quote:
Then again, you are making enough money, why not have two jackets, one windbreaker and one lined for warmth? Then again, I bet you are wearing a pullover, too, which IMO is just not wearer-friendly in marginal temperatures.
I actually have three jackets: heavy/water repellent; lighter; one with the blue shoulder stripes. All three have half zippers.

Quote:
Well, you keep using a word that I just don't believe should be pertinent, style. Pfffft!
There is a difference between "Style" and "Stylish." At one time the Elbeco's were the "Style" (but were far from Stylish). Wearing long sleeve undershirt extending out of short sleeve shirts is Stylish, but isn't a style (or accepted) practice on the ball field.

Quote:
I do believe with partners dressing alike, it is part of being UNIFORM. It looks professional and I don't give a damn if it meets anyone's perception of style, that isn't why you are on the field.
You only have to meet the sanctioning body's definition of style, but not be a fashionista. Why did ASA change from Elbeco to the pull over? Or change their jacket from full zipper to pull over? Or even the logo on the ball bag? Because they tried to keep up with a current clothing style, some of which is based on material performance. Do you really want to still be wearing that awful shirt?

Quote:
There are time when an exception may be necessary. HOWEVER, that is what it is, an exception.
I'm not sure what this exactly means, so I'll attribute this to either an IPA or the local Dupont plant.
Old Fri Mar 25, 2011, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Slick View Post
You are talking about a different picture. I'm referring to the accompanying picture with the glove. You are referring to the one embedded. I did not mention the sweater at all (I noticed it, and laughed).
Still wear mine occasionally, but always under a jacket doing HS.

Quote:
I actually have three jackets: heavy/water repellent; lighter; one with the blue shoulder stripes. All three have half zippers.
I prefer the full-length zipper. Easier to control and adjust as needed.

Quote:
There is a difference between "Style" and "Stylish." At one time the Elbeco's were the "Style" (but were far from Stylish). Wearing long sleeve undershirt extending out of short sleeve shirts is Stylish, but isn't a style (or accepted) practice on the ball field.
That is neither stylish, nor acceptable with any uniform, on the field or the street and I am in an industry where uniforms are worn and required to be worn properly. I don't know why people think this should be different from any other uniformed service.

Quote:
You only have to meet the sanctioning body's definition of style, but not be a fashionista. Why did ASA change from Elbeco to the pull over?
Appearance on the umpire and maintenance. Personally, I had no problem with the Elbeco and will occasionally still wear one proudly, tucked in my pants even back when a flexbelt was needed. Cleaned and most often pressed. The Elbeco is much cooler than the mesh pullover, but looks like **** when the wearer sweats, much like the gray pants.

Quote:
Or change their jacket from full zipper to pull over?
They didn't.

Quote:
Or even the logo on the ball bag?
They just eliminated the graphics.

Quote:
Because they tried to keep up with a current clothing style, some of which is based on material performance. Do you really want to still be wearing that awful shirt?
Compared to what we have now? Absolutely. I would rather have the Mizuno shirt ISF uses, but that ain't gonna happen.

Quote:
I'm not sure what this exactly means, so I'll attribute this to either an IPA or the local Dupont plant.
To start, there is no such animal as a real IPA presently on this earth.

But have you every heard about deviating from the mechanics as not being the standard, but the exception...?