The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jun 08, 2003, 08:55pm
Official Forum Member

A coach called me to complain that an umpire made his Pitcher change gloves to one of solid color, because her's was Black+Brown (certainly in style with the girls this year).

I told him I wouldn't call a Black+Brown glove illegal and then read him the rule followed by informing him of a classic "do as we say, not as we do".

Our rule book states that a Pitcher's glove must be one solid color and that colour may not be white or grey.

BUT !!!!!

The photo on the FRONT COVER of our 2003-2004 RULE BOOK
proudly displays a national team female pitcher, mid-pitch, with, of course, a Brown+Black glove !!!

So, there you go, clear as mud.

I called the director of our district and he sent me an email stating Black+Brown is ok, but Black+White or Brown+White would not be.

What do the various American rules say about multi-color pitching gloves??

... bobbrix
Old Sun Jun 08, 2003, 10:18pm
Official Forum Member

FED and NSA both specifically state multi-colored gloves are legal. (FED, unless the umpire judges it distracting.)

In Little League, the gloves must be one color or different shades of the same color, but may have contrasting colors (not white or gray) in the stitching lacing and webbing.

I can see where I would ever have a problem with a glove as you described.
Old Sun Jun 08, 2003, 10:50pm
Official Forum Member

In USSSA, the two tone brown and black glove would be acceptable, just as long as there is no grey or white in the coloring.

Dixie does not allow the pitcher to wear a multi-colored glove.

I had assumed that you were referring to ASA rules in your post, but ASA also allows for the multicolored glove to be worn by a pitcher, so long as the colors involved do not include white, grey, or yellow optic.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Mon Jun 09, 2003, 09:45am
Official Forum Member

Bobbrix, here is the ASA rule (ASA 3-4)
...(Fast Pitch Only) The pitcher's glove shall be of one solid color other than white, gray, or yellow optic, or if multicolored white, gray, or yellow optic shall not be included in the colors.
Old Mon Jun 09, 2003, 11:15am
Official Forum Member

Scott,

Dixie Rule 2:11:

"Gloves may be worn by any player, but mitts may be used only by the catcher and first baseman. The pitcherÂ’s glove shall be of one solid color other than white or grey. Multi-color gloves are acceptable for all other players. Gloves with white or grey circles on the outside giving the appearance of a ball, are illegal for all players."

Although by rule the pitcher is restricted to a solid color glove, I know this rule is not enforced in our area. Our UIC does not push for enforcement and I sent an e-mail to Wayne Bishop who stated the pitcher could use a multi-color glove that didn't have white or grey. Dixie softball is famous for leaving inconsistencies or gaps in their rulebook. They are very hesitant to fix the problem areas. There are not many solid color gloves on the market these day for the youth sports.

By Dixie rules, a pitcher could have a solid yellow optic colored glove.

[Edited by alabamabluezebra on Jun 9th, 2003 at 11:18 AM]
Old Mon Jun 09, 2003, 03:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by alabamabluezebra
Scott,

Dixie Rule 2:11:

"Gloves may be worn by any player, but mitts may be used only by the catcher and first baseman. The pitcherÂ’s glove shall be of one solid color other than white or grey. Multi-color gloves are acceptable for all other players. Gloves with white or grey circles on the outside giving the appearance of a ball, are illegal for all players."

Although by rule the pitcher is restricted to a solid color glove, I know this rule is not enforced in our area. Our UIC does not push for enforcement and I sent an e-mail to Wayne Bishop who stated the pitcher could use a multi-color glove that didn't have white or grey. Dixie softball is famous for leaving inconsistencies or gaps in their rulebook. They are very hesitant to fix the problem areas. There are not many solid color gloves on the market these day for the youth sports.

By Dixie rules, a pitcher could have a solid yellow optic colored glove.

[Edited by alabamabluezebra on Jun 9th, 2003 at 11:18 AM]
ABZ:

I was referring to the pitcher's glove as "by the rule." With tournaments coming up now, and the coaches struggling for every advantage that they can, it will be interesting to see if this rule gets challenged. If Bishop says that it is okay, then it should be reflected in the rulebook. However, as the rule is written, if an umpire allows a pitcher to play with a multicolored glove, and the opposing coach protests the game and loses, then by all rights his protest should stand. This has been one of my big gripes come Dixie tournament time. Too much time spent on protests and settling them.

Until the rulebook reflects Bishop's interpretation, I will continue to call Dixie by the book rather than by someone else's interpretation of the book.

By the way, I agree with your comment on Dixie's inconsistencies.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.