Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 22, 2011, 08:49am
Official Forum Member

Pitcher's glove

Thoughts on this photo? Legal?

ASA and/or NFHS please.
Old Tue Mar 22, 2011, 09:26am

Legal in NFHS. It is only two colors, neither of which is white, grey, or optic.

NFHS: 1-4-1
Old Tue Mar 22, 2011, 09:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioBlue View Post
Legal in NFHS.
Assuming they aren't the only team in the world still using a white softball.
Old Tue Mar 22, 2011, 09:36am
Official Forum Member

ASA legal also, 3-4, gloves may be one color or multi color as long as none of the colors are the color of the ball.
Old Tue Mar 22, 2011, 09:37am
Official Forum Member

At second glance, the glove appears to be red, black, & blue, which would make it illegal in NFHS.

Last edited by bbsbvb83; Tue Mar 22, 2011 at 09:40am.
Old Tue Mar 22, 2011, 09:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRW View Post
Thoughts on this photo? Legal?

ASA and/or NFHS please.
The floppy lacing may present a problem to some, but the colors are ok.

In an effort to hijack this, just a few comments about the other pictures:

Are they playing in a sandbox? And I say this because I haven't seen the field yet this year

The base umpire looks to have pretty good timing and positioning on the force plays at first.

Plate umpire - seems to have a good H/T on 2044, maybe a bit high, but IMO, working high is better than working low. Funny how plate is in a jacket and base is in sleeves.

And now the big hijack question: why the danglie? Seriously, what does this protect? If you are tracking like you are suppose to, it is not needed. To me, the danglie stopping a softball is akin to the foamy commercial where the shaving cream tries to stop the roller coaster.
Old Tue Mar 22, 2011, 10:19am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Slick View Post
Plate umpire - seems to have a good H/T on 2044, maybe a bit high, but IMO, working high is better than working low. Funny how plate is in a jacket and base is in sleeves.
I think too high. If I'm reading the photo correctly, his chin is up to the batter's shoulder.
Old Tue Mar 22, 2011, 10:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
I think too high. If I'm reading the photo correctly, his chin is up to the batter's shoulder.
I think so too, however I'm ok with it. One, I think that is easier to correct than those who set up too low. Also, being that this is a still picture, this may be his "adjusted" positioning based on the batter/catcher. My point is that I do like his right foot and hips from the angle provided by the photo.
Old Tue Mar 22, 2011, 10:30am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to shipwreck
Quote:

In an effort to hijack this, just a few comments about the other pictures:

Are they playing in a sandbox? And I say this because I haven't seen the field yet this year

The base umpire looks to have pretty good timing and positioning on the force plays at first.

And now the big hijack question: why the danglie? Seriously, what does this protect? If you are tracking like you are suppose to, it is not needed. To me, the danglie stopping a softball is akin to the foamy commercial where the shaving cream tries to stop the roller coaster.
I disagree with you on the dangling throat protector. I have been hit there before and while there was some pain, I believe it would have been much greater if I hadn't been wearing it. JMHO Dave
Old Tue Mar 22, 2011, 11:42am

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipwreck View Post
I disagree with you on the dangling throat protector. I have been hit there before and while there was some pain, I believe it would have been much greater if I hadn't been wearing it. JMHO Dave
+1
me, too
Old Tue Mar 22, 2011, 11:44am

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbsbvb83 View Post
At second glance, the glove appears to be red, black, & blue, which would make it illegal in NFHS.
I missed the blue. You'd be correct if that's the case. However, maybe the black is just a "weathered" blue. In one of the photos, it looks as if that might be the case.

NFHS: two colors or less (not including the lacing) as long as those colors are not white, grey, or optic, and it's legal.
Old Tue Mar 22, 2011, 12:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

SNIP

And now the big hijack question: why the danglie?
SNIP
Did you know that the "danglie" is required in NFHS?
I didn't know it was either until this year I happened to re-read that section while sitting on the crapper!

NFHS Umpire Manual p.19
Quote:
"Equipment for the plate umpire should offer the best in protection, mobility and comfort. A mask with a throat protector is required in F.P..............."

Guess I better get one if I'm going to do post season....
Old Tue Mar 22, 2011, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoTafurst View Post
Did you know that the "danglie" is required in NFHS?
I didn't know it was either until this year I happened to re-read that section while sitting on the crapper!

NFHS Umpire Manual p.19

Guess I better get one if I'm going to do post season....
I believe the built in "wire protect" as it is called satisfies this requirement. And that's my point, before the wire/extended protector became the design, the danglie was necessary to provide some protection. However, I think any mask designed for umpiring softball has the wire protector.

Those that I've seen hit in the throat (that number is 2), was due to a foul ball in which they a) didn't have time to react or b) reacted with a "wince". Neither time would have a danglie lessened the impact.
Old Tue Mar 22, 2011, 01:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I think that the "floppy lacing" you are seeing are the lines on the jersey to her uniform. I don't see any "floppy lacing."

Quote:
Believe what you will about the "danglie," but there is no way I would ever go without one. Been hit there before I started using it (one time was all it took), and about three times since. Trust me, it is worth every penny for the protection it provides.

And if you believe it is a "tracking" the ball issue, it isn't. If you are using a proper stance behind the plate, you are leaving yourself vunerable, albeit a small window of vunerability, if you don't use the throat protector ("danglie," in your vernacular.)

In reference to the OP, I see nothing wrong with the glove in the picture in either ASA or NFHS.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Tue Mar 22, 2011, 01:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I believe the built in "wire protect" as it is called satisfies this requirement.
It does.