The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 01, 2011, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Anyone here ever work games that were just outright problematic for all parties involved?

Anyone ever have a UIC tell them to ignore or ease up on some issues for the purpose of getting through a game?

I would not expect this at the college level, but unless you were there and included in the event, you don't know what happened.

Mentioning the crews may not be good form, but I'm not overly worried about it as we just don't know what may have transpired. I doubt quite seriously that the crew did not discuss their games, what was being seen and what was called.
Not to mention the pictures are inconclusive at best. If you are going to play "gotcha" at least take the pictures from a side angle.
Old Tue Mar 01, 2011, 02:09pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJUmp View Post
Not entirely the same crew, only 2 worked both games.
Sat.2/26 Central AK U v. Sam Houston: Crew- Sun.2/27 Central AK U v. Sam Houston: Crew-
Please edit out the names.

Last edited by CecilOne; Mon Mar 07, 2011 at 08:54am.
Old Tue Mar 01, 2011, 02:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topper View Post
Am I the only one who thinks it's poor form to post the names of umpires whose judgement has been criticized by a spectator and whose integrity has been called into question by a poster without a clue?
Topper - RKBUMP is not a "spectator" or a "poster without a clue" as you stated. He is a respected umpire that posts on this board from time to time, which you have obviously missed, usually good, thought provoking questions.

Suffice it to say that he was at this game to watch one of the players he knows. I am confident that he knows what constitutes an illegal pitch. In this particular instance, his judgement did not agree with the umpires on the field...ever been in that situation?????

I, also, have concerns about posting the names of the umpires involved, but on the other hand, I'm sure they are readily available if you wanted to search the net enough.
Old Tue Mar 01, 2011, 03:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Topper - RKBUMP is not a "spectator" or a "poster without a clue" as you stated. He is a respected umpire that posts on this board from time to time, which you have obviously missed, usually good, thought provoking questions.
He absolutely WAS a spectator. Being a respected umpire or board contributor doesn't change that fact.

BTW, the "poster without a clue" comment was not referring to him.

Quote:
Suffice it to say that he was at this game to watch one of the players he knows. I am confident that he knows what constitutes an illegal pitch. In this particular instance, his judgement did not agree with the umpires on the field...ever been in that situation?????
I'm CERTAIN the officials working those game know what constitutes an IP.

Of course I've been in that situation. SPECTATORS often disagree with umpires. I have a daughter playing college ball and when I am at her games as a SPECTATOR, I disagree with judgement and certainly take note of poor mechanics, but I don't feel the need to comment at the game, nor on an umpire forum.

Quote:
I, also, have concerns about posting the names of the umpires involved, but on the other hand, I'm sure they are readily available if you wanted to search the net enough.
Good. Then let those who want to know go search.
Old Tue Mar 01, 2011, 03:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It seems to me that if the names are readily available (e.g., college softball officials names go in the box score it took me less than a minute to find them) then it doesn't hurt to mention them. You'll see this all the time on the Baseball, Football, and Basketball forums. I agree we needn't mention high school names where it isn't a matter of record.
________
Live Sex Webshows

Last edited by youngump; Mon Sep 19, 2011 at 07:45pm.
Old Tue Mar 01, 2011, 03:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngump View Post
It seems to me that if the names are readily available (e.g., college softball officials names go in the box score it took me less than a minute to find them) then it doesn't hurt to mention them. You'll see this all the time on the Baseball, Football, and Basketball forums. I agree we needn't mention high school names where it isn't a matter of record.
If you don't see the problem some people would have with having their name mentioned as someone who may be purposely not calling a (supposed) illegal pitch, then I won't bother trying. Don't get me wrong, having spent some time with at least one of the crew members, I can almost guarantee he could give a rat's a$$ about what's said about him on an online forum.

I agree about the HS names though. If I were to start posting the name of every poor HS official I see, I'd quickly have more posts that IRISH.
Old Tue Mar 01, 2011, 04:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topper View Post
If you don't see the problem some people would have with having their name mentioned as someone who may be purposely not calling a (supposed) illegal pitch, then I won't bother trying. Don't get me wrong, having spent some time with at least one of the crew members, I can almost guarantee he could give a rat's a$$ about what's said about him on an online forum.

I agree about the HS names though. If I were to start posting the name of every poor HS official I see, I'd quickly have more posts that IRISH.
You misunderstand my point. Whether you mention the names or not, once you mention the particular game you have identified the umpires. If you have an issue with calling out specific umpires, that seems fair enough but to achieve that you have to not mention the specific game because once you've done that you have identified the umpires in question.
________
SexyAngel4u cam

Last edited by youngump; Mon Sep 19, 2011 at 07:45pm.
Old Tue Mar 01, 2011, 06:47pm
Official Forum Member

You may have something with picture 2 as its hard to drag away from the pitching plate without the toe down.
Old Tue Mar 01, 2011, 11:43pm
Official Forum Member

To those of you that may not recognize the names, one is a multiple time D1 WCWS umpire. Not saying every one that has ever been there is someone I feel is completely on the top of our profession, but that one is one of them that I do.
Old Thu Mar 03, 2011, 06:26pm
Official Forum Member

the forum is a public area, the game takes place in a public area, the umps are paid professionals in a public area. no problem with names. goes with the territory.
Old Fri Mar 04, 2011, 08:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronald View Post
the forum is a public area, the game takes place in a public area, the umps are paid professionals in a public area. no problem with names. goes with the territory.
OK, so I guess you'd feel the same way if this were posted:

"I was up in VA on business and decided to catch a HS game one evening. Worse PU I've seen in a while. Slot/timing/zone were horrible. No movement away from plate. To top it all off, his hat was turned backwards. Come to find out it was _________ ___________, a.k.a. "ronald" from this forum. By reading his posts, I thought he was better than that. I will upload a few pics shortly."
Old Fri Mar 04, 2011, 02:01pm
Official Forum Member

Names

No problem with being mentioned. Big girl sport. Gig boy umpires. Maybe it helps create a learning attitude. Names of players have been mentioned on this board. Why are the names of officials special?
Old Fri Mar 04, 2011, 03:19pm
Official Forum Member

hrmmm i dont find the pictures inconclusive... informative at best.
Old Fri Mar 04, 2011, 04:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit View Post
No problem with being mentioned. Big girl sport. Gig boy umpires.
I assume you mean Big Boy umpires......well #1 I am offended you called us umpires big (I resemble that remark), #2 I am offended for all the female umpires out there, they are Big Girl Umpires......wait they are Adult Umpires, never call a woman big even if you meant it in a nice way!!!
Old Sat Mar 05, 2011, 09:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
Please edit out the names.
Oops. If they are edited out, you still have them in your quote.