The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 24, 2011, 03:53pm
Official Forum Member

Is the UIC wrong or am I on another planet?

Last night we had a USSSA meeting and the UIC tried to tell us that he was told at the national meeting that a batter-runner can be tagged out by a fielder by touching the runner before she reaches first base. No problem so far. Then he proceeded to tell us that the fielder can tag her with the glove without the ball being in the glove as long as she has possession of the ball in her other hand. Then he proceeded to tell us she could tag the runner with any part of her body as long as she held the ball in either her glove or her hand. I'm speechless. Anyone else have this explained to them like this? I can't believe this is the case. His reasoning was that it was a force play just like tagging the base with any part of the body as long as the have possession of the ball.
Old Thu Feb 24, 2011, 03:58pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by drh898 View Post
Last night we had a USSSA meeting and the UIC tried to tell us that he was told at the national meeting that a batter-runner can be tagged out by a fielder by touching the runner before she reaches first base. No problem so far. Then he proceeded to tell us that the fielder can tag her with the glove without the ball being in the glove as long as she has possession of the ball in her other hand. Then he proceeded to tell us she could tag the runner with any part of her body as long as she held the ball in either her glove or her hand. I'm speechless. Anyone else have this explained to them like this? I can't believe this is the case. His reasoning was that it was a force play just like tagging the base with any part of the body as long as the have possession of the ball.
It is not you that is on another planet.
Old Thu Feb 24, 2011, 04:53pm
Official Forum Member

Are you sure the UIC didn't mean that the defense could tag the BASE with any part of their body? If that's what he MEANT to say, then that would be correct.

Sometimes, you're up there speaking (in front of dozens of opinionated umpires, no less) with all eyes on you, and you get a little tongue-tied.

By the way, ever been to BJ's Brewhouse? They've got some GREAT beers over there! I've been there a few times...

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Thu Feb 24, 2011, 11:30pm
Official Forum Member

Hey! Works for me!
You gotta remember, you only get paid for the outs!
Old Fri Feb 25, 2011, 03:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottk_61 View Post
Hey! Works for me!
You gotta remember, you only get paid for the outs!
I'd wish that would be true! Every game would ending in extra innings and more money in the pocket

It's all for the love of the sport

Ik ben niet gek, doe alleen alsof! Gaat me goed af toch?
Old Fri Feb 25, 2011, 10:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp View Post
Are you sure the UIC didn't mean that the defense could tag the BASE with any part of their body? If that's what he MEANT to say, then that would be correct.

Sometimes, you're up there speaking (in front of dozens of opinionated umpires, no less) with all eyes on you, and you get a little tongue-tied.

By the way, ever been to BJ's Brewhouse? They've got some GREAT beers over there! I've been there a few times...
I'm sure he believes what he thought he heard but we had a long discussion about this and he insisted that is what the USSSA interpretation is. Although at the end he backed off a bit and said he would get clarification.

BJ's is one of my favorites, right next to Apple. I live only about a mile or so from there.
Old Fri Feb 25, 2011, 10:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'm sure he believes what he thought he heard but we had a long discussion about this and he insisted that is what the USSSA interpretation is. Although at the end he backed off a bit and said he would get clarification.

BJ's is one of my favorites, right next to Apple. I live only about a mile or so from there.
Awesome, I went to an Apple training there. Had a great time, and the beer there is EXCELLENT.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Old Fri Feb 25, 2011, 10:44am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Awesome, I went to an Apple training there. Had a great time, and the beer there is EXCELLENT.
We have one a few miles from my house. They are all over the place out here and in California.

They have some excellent beers. I'm partial to the Jeremiah Red and Nutty Brewnette myself.

Go figure that I poke my head in the softball forum and see beer being discussed in a couple of threads.

Last edited by Welpe; Fri Feb 25, 2011 at 10:46am.
Old Fri Feb 25, 2011, 11:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
We have one a few miles from my house. They are all over the place out here and in California.

They have some excellent beers. I'm partial to the Jeremiah Red and Nutty Brewnette myself.

Go figure that I poke my head in the softball forum and see beer being discussed in a couple of threads.
As it damn well should be!

Maybe I should open a BJ's Brewhouse franchise here in NC. Any takers?

Old Fri Feb 25, 2011, 02:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
As it damn well should be!

Maybe I should open a BJ's Brewhouse franchise here in NC. Any takers?
Let me know when you open it. I could sample the different beers for you and take care of quality control.
Old Fri Feb 25, 2011, 03:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelVA2000 View Post
Let me know when you open it. I could sample the different beers for you and take care of quality control.
I think I'll keep it in-house, thank you very much.

Old Fri Feb 25, 2011, 06:56pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
8-18-I "glove or hand with the ball held therein"

No clarification or interpretation needed.
Old Fri Feb 25, 2011, 08:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
8-18-I "glove or hand with the ball held therein"

No clarification or interpretation needed.
I read him (UIC) the definition of a tag out on page 22, rule 3, sec. 65, of the USSSA rule book and that was when he backed off saying he would get clarification. The reason I brought this up was to find out if others had heard this. I'm glad to hear no one responded in the postive and our UIC was just confused.

Everyone, have a great softball season!!

By the way, open a Hooters and I'll do the hiring and firing.....................for free.
Old Sat Feb 26, 2011, 05:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I read him (UIC) the definition of a tag out on page 22, rule 3, sec. 65, of the USSSA rule book and that was when he backed off saying he would get clarification. The reason I brought this up was to find out if others had heard this. I'm glad to hear no one responded in the postive and our UIC was just confused.

Everyone, have a great softball season!!

By the way, open a Hooters and I'll do the hiring and firing.....................for free.
Is it possible the UIC had been to BJ's BEFORE the meeting?
Old Sat Feb 26, 2011, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoTafurst View Post
Is it possible the UIC had been to BJ's BEFORE the meeting?
Actually, I wish we had the meeting at BJ's, the food (and beer) is so much better than Denny's.