The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 19, 2011, 01:30pm
Official Forum Member

NFHS test help

#32. only adults may occupy the coaches box? I cannot find.

#49. ( Deadball Question) "The softball field includes an elevated cement step in front of each dugout"
Half the foot on deadball territory and the other half in the "air" over fair territory, has got me stumped. Does the other half of the foot have to be "touching" fair territory to be declared a live ball.

#57. In establishing the validity of a catch, the fielder must only hold the ball long enough to prove she has control.
I would say "true" to this question in a game situation. The definition in the book does not match the complete test answer?

Last edited by roadking; Sat Feb 19, 2011 at 04:33pm.
Old Sat Feb 19, 2011, 03:17pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadking View Post
#32. only adults may occupy th ecoaches box? I cannot find.

#49. half the foot on deadball territory and the other half in the "air" over fair territory, has got me stumped. Does the other half of the foot have to be "touching" fair territory to be declared a live ball.

#57. I would say "true" to this question in a game situation. The definition in the book does not match the complete test answer?
We don't all take the same question sequence.
- players can use coaching box
- guessing at Q, not out is in
- ??
Old Sat Feb 19, 2011, 04:51pm
Official Forum Member

roadking...

Question # 32.... Try Rule 1, Section 6 Batting Helmets

Questions 49 and 57 Please state complete questions and answer choices.

Last edited by MrRabbit; Sat Feb 19, 2011 at 04:58pm. Reason: Added to reply
Old Sat Feb 19, 2011, 05:05pm
Official Forum Member

#57 False

ART. 2 . . . In establishing the validity of the catch, the fielder must prove she has control of the ball and that her release of the ball is voluntary and intentional.

#49 Dead ball (If I remember the question)

i. a fielder, after catching a fair or foul batted ball (fly or line drive), leaves the field of play by stepping with one foot or by falling into a designated deadball area (i.e., bench, dugout, stand/bleacher, etc.)

#32 False

ART. 2 . . . Any member of the team at bat who has not been restricted or ejected may occupy each coach's box while that team is at bat.
Old Sat Feb 19, 2011, 05:10pm
Official Forum Member

Try Rule 2, section 9 Catch

Last edited by MrRabbit; Sat Feb 19, 2011 at 05:14pm.
Old Sat Feb 19, 2011, 07:37pm
Official Forum Member

Here's the question:
The softball field includes an elevated cement step in front of each dugout. B1hits a foul fly caught by F3 such that her right foot is on the ground completly in live ball territory and her left foot is on the elevated step with half the foot on the step and the other half on live ball territory but completely off the ground. What is the result of the play?

rule 2-8-9d does not cover all of this question?

"B1 is out on a good catch by F3, the ball is live and in play"

Thanks for the help.
Old Sat Feb 19, 2011, 08:15pm
Official Forum Member

Dead ball.

2.9.4 SITUATION: B1 hits a fly ball toward the left field fence. F7 places a foot on the temporary fence while making the catch. RULING: Legal. As long as the fence is not completely horizontal, a legal catch can be made.

Case Book.

5.1.1 SITUATION J: On a foul fly ball near dead-ball territory, F7 (a) makes the catch with one foot on the line separating dead-ball territory and the other foot in dead-ball territory, (b) makes the catch with one foot completely in dead-ball territory and then steps with both feet into dead-ball territory, or (c) makes the catch with both feet completely in dead-ball territory. RULING: No catch in all situations. The ball is dead. (5-1-1i; 8-4-3i

I missed the question and had a catch. The foot is on a horizontal surface and not touching live ball territory so it is in dead ball territory.

Paul
Old Sat Feb 19, 2011, 08:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Az.Ump View Post
Dead ball.

2.9.4 SITUATION: B1 hits a fly ball toward the left field fence. F7 places a foot on the temporary fence while making the catch. RULING: Legal. As long as the fence is not completely horizontal, a legal catch can be made.

Case Book.

5.1.1 SITUATION J: On a foul fly ball near dead-ball territory, F7 (a) makes the catch with one foot on the line separating dead-ball territory and the other foot in dead-ball territory, (b) makes the catch with one foot completely in dead-ball territory and then steps with both feet into dead-ball territory, or (c) makes the catch with both feet completely in dead-ball territory. RULING: No catch in all situations. The ball is dead. (5-1-1i; 8-4-3i

I missed the question and had a catch. The foot is on a horizontal surface and not touching live ball territory so it is in dead ball territory.

Paul
Thanks, found it! 2-8-9d does adds to the confusion.
Old Sun Feb 20, 2011, 09:40am
Official Forum Member

Regarding the question with a foot on the cement step, this one comes directly out of the 2011 case book, page 38.

Answer: F3 is out of play and no catch is declared.
Old Sun Feb 20, 2011, 11:04am
Official Forum Member

May I suggest that even if multiple Q in a topic, each has a separate post, so responses are easier to follow.
Old Sun Feb 20, 2011, 11:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadking View Post
Here's the question:
The softball field includes an elevated cement step in front of each dugout. B1hits a foul fly caught by F3 such that her right foot is on the ground completly in live ball territory and her left foot is on the elevated step with half the foot on the step and the other half on live ball territory but completely off the ground. What is the result of the play?

rule 2-8-9d does not cover all of this question?

"B1 is out on a good catch by F3, the ball is live and in play"

Thanks for the help.
I'm confused by "half on live ball territory but completely off the ground", on and off are contradictory.
Should it say "over" instead of "on", which then means nothing as touching is the only criteria that matters?
Old Sun Feb 20, 2011, 11:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
I'm confused by "half on live ball territory but completely off the ground", on and off are contradictory.
Should it say "over" instead of "on", which then means nothing as touching is the only criteria that matters?
FWIW, the case book has it written correctly as
"and her left foot on the elevated cement step with half the foot on
the step and the other half over live-ball territory but completely off the ground."
(my emphasis)

Looks like the only confusion is a typo either by the original poster or on his question sheet.