The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 15, 2005, 05:04am
Official Forum Member

Once the ball has been released by the thrower, opponents may break the throw-in boundary plane.

I said false and other officials say true.

We found the ruling in the rule book under rule 7-6

Art. 3... The opponent(s) of the thrower shall not have any part of his/her person through the inbounds side of the throw-in boundary plane until the ball has been released on a throw in pass.

Now after reading that I am confused.

Example: Team B just scored a baskets and A1 attempt a throw-in but couldn't before the 5 second count is reached A1 request a time out.
After returning from the time out inbounding official tell A1 he still has the baseline if he needed it, A1 start his throw-in and decide to throw the ball to A2 who came in from the inbound to out of bound and than pass it to A3 all before the 5 second count has ended.

Based on the ruling in 7-6-3 than is it legal for B1 to reach and break the plane to intercept the pass which has been released from thrower A1 to A2 while they are out of bound?

Any input on this ruling will be appreciated.

Old Tue Nov 15, 2005, 05:39am
Official Forum Member

NO. The defenders may not break the boundary plane until the ball is released ON A THROW-IN PASS. A pass between teammates on the out-of-bounds side of the boundary is NOT a throw-in pass. Therefore, the restriction hasn't ended yet.

To make this very clear the Rules Book contains:
Rule 9, Penalty section for Article 11:
"3. If an opponent(s) of the thrower reaches through the throw-in boundary-line plane and touches or dislodges the ball while in possession of the thrower or being passed to a teammate outside the boundary line (as in 7-5-7), a technical foul shall be charged to the offender. No warning for delay required. See 10-3-11 Penalty."

In short, if you are still counting the five seconds for the throw-in count, then the defender can't break the plane yet.

Old Tue Nov 15, 2005, 06:04am
Official Forum Member

Thanx Nevada that 5 second count make it clearer now.

To bad most of u officials on here can't be in my association, u guys would make great mentor unlike my association here in Utah, officials in Utah are to stuck on themselves to help younger officials to move up because there afraid of losing games to younger officials who will move up.

Last year one of the criteria for Varsity officials was that they had to be a mentor to a younger official.
I went to 4 of my mentor games last season to watch and learn from him in return he did not attend any of my games.
This year mentoring has kinda fade away now and I don't think it will be required for any varsity officials to mentor even though the president of the association encourage the varsity officials to do so.

Base on what I have read on thise site and information that most of u veteran officials have offer has help me to be a better official for that I like to thank you all.
Old Tue Nov 15, 2005, 06:18am
Official Forum Member

I would be careful here.

Although there may be a few guys like you describe most of the varisty guys I know in Utah are confident in their own officiating ability and dont woory about younger guys taking any games.

The evaluation system that we have and trying to adopt further is a sign that we want to develop newer officials.

I have never been required to mentor a junior official although it has been encouraged. I do wonder how you would expect a varsity official to attend your games. Since the varisty guys have to be in the gym by 6:00 for their 7:00 game, if you are officiating the 5:30 game some where else it would be tough on them. With most varsity guys doing 3- 4 games a week we like to be home once in a while and the fact is that when you include meetings it is tough to get anyywhere. I am not justifying his/her actions but you also need to see it from the other perspective.

We have meetings, rule getogethers, I know Salt Lake will be having a get together every Friday night ...
Old Tue Nov 15, 2005, 06:28am
Official Forum Member

Sorry Kelvin your right not all officials just some and I don't expect them to be at all the games but am sure when they volunteer to mentor they can attend some games when they have some time off and if they can't than they should not volunteer to mentor.
Old Tue Nov 15, 2005, 07:36am
Official Forum Member

I've also had positive experiences with the folks from Utah. The ones that I have met have been good people and solid officials. The basketball in the Salt Lake area is very strong and that is going to lead to the development of quality officials.
I have to believe that there is someone there who would be willing to help you, if he had the time and you made it clear to him what you desired. Perhaps your past mentor didn't know that you wanted him to come watch your games. Did you ask him directly to do this for you?

Of course, there is the possibility that you got assigned to someone who wasn't really interested in being a mentor. If that was the case, please don't give up on improving. Your mentor doesn't have to be assigned. You could make a friend locally who could give you good guidance and there is always this forum.

Best wishes.
Old Tue Nov 15, 2005, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ibumgardner
I put false also. I'm probably wrong... My logic was that the defender couldn't touch the ball until it crossed the boundary plane....

Here's my scenario:

A1 has a throw-in with under 2 seconds on the clock after B just scored to tie the game. After Team A calls a time-out, team B puts a defender on the thrower-in to make the pass difficult. A1 has a lot of room, and backs up as far as possible. After A1 releases the ball, but clearly before it breaks the plane, B deflects the pass, gathers it up and scores.

LEGAL?
Old Tue Nov 15, 2005, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ibumgardner
I put false also. I'm probably wrong... My logic was that the defender couldn't touch the ball until it crossed the boundary plane....

Here's my scenario:

A1 has a throw-in with under 2 seconds on the clock after B just scored to tie the game. After Team A calls a time-out, team B puts a defender on the thrower-in to make the pass difficult. A1 has a lot of room, and backs up as far as possible. After A1 releases the ball, but clearly before it breaks the plane, B deflects the pass, gathers it up and scores.

LEGAL?
Yes.
Old Tue Nov 15, 2005, 02:42pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Quote:
Originally posted by xxssmen
Once the ball has been released by the thrower, opponents may break the throw-in boundary plane.

I said false and other officials say true.

We found the ruling in the rule book under rule 7-6

Art. 3... The opponent(s) of the thrower shall not have any part of his/her person through the inbounds side of the throw-in boundary plane until the ball has been released on a throw in pass.

Now after reading that I am confused.

Example: Team B just scored a baskets and A1 attempt a throw-in but couldn't before the 5 second count is reached A1 request a time out.
After returning from the time out inbounding official tell A1 he still has the baseline if he needed it, A1 start his throw-in and decide to throw the ball to A2 who came in from the inbound to out of bound and than pass it to A3 all before the 5 second count has ended.

Based on the ruling in 7-6-3 than is it legal for B1 to reach and break the plane to intercept the pass which has been released from thrower A1 to A2 while they are out of bound?

Any input on this ruling will be appreciated.

Absolutly legal!

See 9-2-11 below
ART. 11. . . The opponent(s) of the thrower shall not have any part of his/her person through the inbounds side of the throw-in boundary-line plane until the ball has been released on a throw-in pass.

Old Tue Nov 15, 2005, 03:09pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ibumgardner
Thanks for the clarification.

By the way, after re-reading, I realize that I shouldn't have put "LEGAL?" in all caps...I really wasn't shouting
Old Wed Nov 16, 2005, 01:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Here's my scenario:

LEGAL?
As others have told you, this play is legal under NFHS rules. However, this would be an indirect technical foul in an NCAA game. In that rules set the defender is not allowed to break the boundary plane until the ball does.

You were probably thinking in NCAA terms when you put false.
Old Wed Nov 16, 2005, 11:32am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
I realize that I shouldn't have put "LEGAL?" in all caps...I really wasn't shouting
It may take years of counselling, but we'll get over it !!