The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 16, 2004, 09:47pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to zebracz
Hey ya'll...did anyone else have trouble w/ this question? rule 3-3-1c says the offender is ejected. The question (#76) says: "A player at bat discovered to be wearing a necklace would be declared out if his team had received a prior warning concerning jewelry."

So, yes, he's ejected but I can't find ANYWHERE that says he's out--so I'd consider a sub to replace him, IF HE WERE ON BASE. First, what would you think of that, and second, is that batter OUT as well, because he's a batter and not a base runner?

Thx
Old Tue Mar 16, 2004, 10:42pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Delaware Blue
Without looking, I'd say nothing in the FED rule allows an out for wearing jewelry. After the team warning, eject the batter and a legal sub takes his place and assumes the count (if any).

Now, if no legal subs are available, an out would be declared because that spot in the batting order is empty. But the out is called due to the empty spot in the order, not because of wearing jewelry.
Old Wed Mar 17, 2004, 08:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by zebracz
Hey ya'll...did anyone else have trouble w/ this question? rule 3-3-1c says the offender is ejected. The question (#76) says: "A player at bat discovered to be wearing a necklace would be declared out if his team had received a prior warning concerning jewelry."

The statement is False.

If you quoted it correctly and if FED gave the answer as True, then I'd guess they messed it up.

Old Wed Mar 17, 2004, 09:41pm
Veteran College Umpire

The FED answer to #76 IS False. 3-3-1c penalty.
Old Thu Mar 18, 2004, 06:42am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
I agree but keep in mind that the fed test 2 years ago said out can call a player out on an appeal when the player is not even at the ball game and last year said that a coach restricted to the dugout cannot be ejected due to further disipline issues.

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.