The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Sep 10, 2003, 04:13pm
Official Forum Member

I notice that Fed has adopted the ASA 2004 revised bat testing standard and the resulting approval / banning of bats.

Given the ruckus that was caused with school teams needing to buy new bats when Fed decided to enforce the 2000 standard even more strictly than ASA did, I fear we may be in for another round of problems with team bats.

What I am thinking about is 2000-certified bats that are no longer in production which the bat manufacturer does not go to the trouble and expense of having re-rested.

Reason suggests that these mainstay team bats (e.g. low cost Louisville, Easton, etc. models) would pass the test, but what if the manufacturer does not submit them?

On the plus side, at least this time Fed will use the ASA approved bat list from the web site.
Old Wed Sep 10, 2003, 04:30pm
Official Forum Member

In Pennsylvania,the PIAA has been using the ASA bat standards since the beginning in 2000.We use the banned bat list prior to a high school contest,and have any banned bats removed.Our umpires are given updated information at every meeting as well as using PIAA's website.It seem to hurt the smaller school districts alot harder than the AAA Schools,thats for sure.It has definitely been a mess since this bat certification program took effect.I hope the ASA and the bat manufacturers can finally get on the same page.I dont think the bat makers need to improve on the technology,they have ruined the game of softball enough(particularly slow pitch,they wont give up until a pitcher or infielder gets killed). JMHO
Jeff