The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 24, 2010, 08:32pm
Official Forum Member

2011 ASA Rule Changes with Comments

Are now posted. Click here.

Last edited by IRISHMAFIA; Wed Nov 24, 2010 at 08:34pm.
Old Wed Nov 24, 2010, 09:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Are now posted. Click here.
Good information, thanks. If 2011 is anything like 2010, I'll be able to apply those during the one or two tournaments that are held in Northern VA.
Old Wed Nov 24, 2010, 10:38pm
Official Forum Member

Mike, is this wording final? I noticed that in 3-1-H, they're allowing players to engrave or paint their names on the bat. Does this allowance include such actions on the barrel? As written, it would appear so.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Wed Nov 24, 2010, 11:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp View Post
Mike, is this wording final? I noticed that in 3-1-H, they're allowing players to engrave or paint their names on the bat. Does this allowance include such actions on the barrel? As written, it would appear so.
Yes.
Old Fri Nov 26, 2010, 02:49pm
Official Forum Member

Approved bats shall be considered altered if they are rolled, shaved, repainted, weighted or modified to change their characteristics from that produced by the manufacturer. Identifying the bat by means of laser marking, engraving, or painting the name or number of the player will not make the bat an altered bat.

They just contradicted themselves. Your bat will be considered altered if you paint it. You can paint your name or number on your bat.

So which is it and why does the council have such trouble with the English language and logic?
Old Fri Nov 26, 2010, 04:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkside View Post
Approved bats shall be considered altered if they are rolled, shaved, repainted, weighted or modified to change their characteristics from that produced by the manufacturer. Identifying the bat by means of laser marking, engraving, or painting the name or number of the player will not make the bat an altered bat.

They just contradicted themselves. Your bat will be considered altered if you paint it. You can paint your name or number on your bat.

So which is it and why does the council have such trouble with the English language and logic?
One of two things here. Either you're kidding or you are.....well, nevermind.

What's the difference between painting the exterior of your house and putting up the house number on the steps or by the door?

When working in a spreadsheet, what's the different between filling a cell with color and changing the contents to the same color?

I guess it should also be pointed out that it states "repainting" the bat. To me, and probably many others, this means repainting the bat, the entire bat, not just adding an identifying mark on it.

Last edited by IRISHMAFIA; Sat Nov 27, 2010 at 10:34am.
Old Sat Nov 27, 2010, 02:54am
Official Forum Member

You guys do not think 70 ft. bases are going to affect the slow pitch game?
What about mechanics?
Old Sat Nov 27, 2010, 08:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill S View Post
You guys do not think 70 ft. bases are going to affect the slow pitch game?
What about mechanics?
Mechanics do not change, no need. This is not new to ASA. In the past, the bases for higher level of ball have reached 80' at one point and that was fun. Too many people are acting like this is the end of the world while in reality, it is just one more stride.

AFA increased safety for the defense is concerned, it is a misconception. Infielders have always had the ability to stand as deep as they please regardless of the location of the bases or cut of the infield.

If anything, it makes it a little safer for the runners of 1B or 3B
Old Sat Nov 27, 2010, 09:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Mechanics do not change, no need. This is not new to ASA. In the past, the bases for higher level of ball have reached 80' at one point and that was fun. Too many people are acting like this is the end of the world while in reality, it is just one more stride.

AFA increased safety for the defense is concerned, it is a misconception. Infielders have always had the ability to stand as deep as they please regardless of the location of the bases or cut of the infield.

If anything, it makes it a little safer for the runners of 1B or 3B
And they most certainly take advantage of this. They often play so far back, I'm standing as far as 10 feet into the grass.

An extra 5 feet won't be that big a deal.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Old Sat Nov 27, 2010, 10:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
And they most certainly take advantage of this. They often play so far back, I'm standing as far as 10 feet into the grass.

An extra 5 feet won't be that big a deal.
I see others do that; I simply refuse to play that game. Just like the players, I have a job to do, and to do it effectively, it requires me to be in the infield. And, I find that I got a lot more ankle twists and rolls when I started on the grass, and/or made the transition back to the infield.

If an "infielder" starts on the grass, I will move more to one side or the other (depending on the game situation, or if he is well in the 3-4 hole for a hook pull hitter) to be out of his range, but I stay in the infield.

In prior years, as a member of the Slow Pitch Task Force, our discussion of 70' didn't consider helping the defense to play deeper. We discussed that the defense could make a "defensive" knock-the-ball-down-and-still-have-time-to-throw-a-runner-out play if the runners had to take one or two more steps to each base. If some ying-yang thinks this was the permission to play deeper, go ahead and think that.

The only negative raised in the past was from Parks and Rec people that claimed it would cost them too much to 1) move or add new base stobbs, 2) cut the grass deeper, and 3) possibly have to move a sprinkler head or two as a result of the different grass cut. Perhaps the supposed "safety" aspect helped convince them to stop fighting the option.
Old Sat Nov 27, 2010, 10:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
I see others do that; I simply refuse to play that game. Just like the players, I have a job to do, and to do it effectively, it requires me to be in the infield. And, I find that I got a lot more ankle twists and rolls when I started on the grass, and/or made the transition back to the infield.

If an "infielder" starts on the grass, I will move more to one side or the other (depending on the game situation, or if he is well in the 3-4 hole for a hook pull hitter) to be out of his range, but I stay in the infield.
Most of the time, in these situations, I just split the difference and move up. Saves me about 5 steps when trying to get inside, and 5 steps can be a lifesaver.

Old Sat Nov 27, 2010, 11:28am
Official Forum Member

As far as our 2 man mechanics with runners on:

Back in the 60's (I was not umping yet), there were 60 ft. bases in slow pitch and the classic inside outside theory was taught, prevailed & worked.

In the early 70's; bases were moved back to 65 ft. ASA kept the classic inside outside method while USSSA adjusted with the inside starting. (That is how I started). NSA kept the classic inside outside mechanics with some guys throwing in some morphing of USSSA.

Then we changed bases back to 70 ft but still sort of kept the classic inside outside with some morphing of USSSA leftovers. (But not in our mechanic book).

Now we have : 70 ft. bases
: Infielders playing deeper than Alabama is deep south.
: 5 man deep infields.
: Composite bats that they have learned how to alter and turn into deadly weapons.

But we still are teaching the inside outside classic umping from the 60's saying; "You just have to get there."

It is not that I am old, had a knee replacement and am fat.

I have been mulling this for years and talked to many over that time.

Remember when you get nailed and are standing in front of a fielder, it is dead ball. The boys do not understand or take kindly to that. (Plus it hurts like heck).

I am really leaning toward: "Screw the overall inside outside theory" IMPOSSIBLE TO DO. Have seen more guys get in the way, not get in position, run their butts off and still not be anywhere near they should be.

My premise I think is that the base umpire stays outside with runners on period. If a "perfect storm" happens and he can come in and help or backup his partner, communicate and God Bless him.

Naturally a few of the responsibilities will change. Not a big deal I think,

Also try to remember how many games some of our guys are working a day in tournament settings.

JUST A START.

Something to think about?

And yes I have worked the "longer bases". 2 man with runners on just needs some attention.
Old Sat Nov 27, 2010, 05:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill S View Post
Now we have : 70 ft. bases
: Infielders playing deeper than Alabama is deep south.
Nothing new, they've been there for about 10 years now.

Quote:
: 5 man deep infields.
This can be a problem, but I found it to be helpful at times when the middle guy will play up.

Quote:
Composite bats that they have learned how to alter and turn into deadly weapons.
It is what it is. I've seen balls of aluminum bats damn near take off a runner's head on 2B. I cannot be worried about that. If I cannot avoid being hit with the ball, I shouldn't be out on the field.

Quote:
But we still are teaching the inside outside classic umping from the 60's saying; "You just have to get there."

It is not that I am old, had a knee replacement and am fat. I have been mulling this for years and talked to many over that time.

Remember when you get nailed and are standing in front of a fielder, it is dead ball. The boys do not understand or take kindly to that. (Plus it hurts like heck).
Only one answer to that . Don't get in the way.

Quote:
I am really leaning toward: "Screw the overall inside outside theory" IMPOSSIBLE TO DO. Have seen more guys get in the way, not get in position, run their butts off and still not be anywhere near they should be.

My premise I think is that the base umpire stays outside with runners on period. If a "perfect storm" happens and he can come in and help or backup his partner, communicate and God Bless him.

Naturally a few of the responsibilities will change. Not a big deal I think,

Also try to remember how many games some of our guys are working a day in tournament settings.

JUST A START.

Something to think about?

And yes I have worked the "longer bases". 2 man with runners on just needs some attention

I guess I just don't see the issue. I've had a knee replacement, was fat when working and am old enough. I've worked 80' bases and didn't have a problem just a few extra steps. The players didn't seem to mind, even had a straight steal on a pitch the catcher received in flight.

Since when do we change mechanic because the umpire isn't capable of doing the job? I've worked baseball and softball, 1-umpire through 6-umpire games and almost as many mechanic variations and I have no problem with I/O. To me, it is the best default available, while others fit well under specific circumstances with advanced crews.

JMHO
Old Sun Nov 28, 2010, 12:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Since when do we change mechanic because the umpire isn't capable of doing the job? I've worked baseball and softball, 1-umpire through 6-umpire games and almost as many mechanic variations and I have no problem with I/O. To me, it is the best default available, while others fit well under specific circumstances with advanced crews.

JMHO
As it was explained to me, the very reason why SP umpires always start in B is because umpires were having troubles moving around the field. The average age of umpires is getting higher, younger guys don't want the job (darn sissies), and accommodations were made to the mechanics to allow for an aging crew.

Again, that's how it was explained to me. Don't shoot the messenger.

Old Sun Nov 28, 2010, 12:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
As it was explained to me, the very reason why SP umpires always start in B is because umpires were having troubles moving around the field. The average age of umpires is getting higher, younger guys don't want the job (darn sissies), and accommodations were made to the mechanics to allow for an aging crew.

Again, that's how it was explained to me. Don't shoot the messenger.
Well, that was a very interesting session at the UIC clinic the year that was announced. The NUS (not all involved or approving of the change) was pretty much confronted by people lining up in the aisle to have a say about the change.

If memory serves me correctly, it went down like this:

A portion of that discussion was "since when did we change mechanics to save the umpire's knees"? To anyone's memory, this was the first time Bernie was speechless. For that matter, it was the first two times Bernie didn't have an answer. Henry P had to take over the discussion. The reason given was that the majority of the time in the 2-umpire system, the BU is in the B, so why not just start them there so there was no rush to beat the BR inside on a hit to the OF.

Henry told us that if we, as a group, did not want it, they wouldn't shove it down our throat. It actually went to a vote and easily passed.

But the best part was when one of my friends/duic and I were standing outside the meeting room near the entrance to the bar (imagine that) and Bernie walked out and up to us. My friend says, "What's the matter, Bernie, cat got your tongue?" Bernie just threw his arms up in the air and walked away in silence.