The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Sep 06, 2010, 06:46am
Official Forum Member

Question Rule Changes/POEs for 2010-2011

Since the season here for WIAA is in about 3 months, I figured I better start getting ready for the season. Are the any real significant changes that I should be worried about?

For everyone curious, my knee is doing a bit better though still in a brace.
Old Mon Sep 06, 2010, 06:59am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Here's a good place to start......

2010-11 NFHS Rule Changes
Old Mon Sep 06, 2010, 10:12pm
Official Forum Member

Concerning 6-1-2, I am closely watching who has possession of the ball. If I sound the horn after the ball is in control of the player (happens rarely) I wave it off and mention to the table-side official inadvertant horn.

Though this clarifies more, that once the ball is in the hands of a player, no horn should sound.

The only concern I can see concerning the rule changes is: 3-3-1a NOTE; 4-34-2: Clarified that when a substitute is not properly reported, the players in the game at the conclusion of the quarter/when the time-out was granted shall begin play for the new quarter/after the time-out. During an intermission, all team members are bench personnel for the purpose of penalizing unsporting behavior. As coaches seem to find a way to get the players in though not reported in/

Everything else listed seems to be common sense.
Old Tue Sep 07, 2010, 05:51am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by chseagle View Post
Concerning 6-1-2, I am closely watching who has possession of the ball. If I sound the horn after the ball is in control of the player (happens rarely) I wave it off and mention to the table-side official inadvertant horn.

Though this clarifies more, that once the ball is in the hands of a player, no horn should sound.

Everything else listed seems to be common sense.
Unfortunately, that clarification has got dick-all to do with the ball being in the hands of the player. There is a big difference between a ball being at the disposal of a player versus a player holding the ball. One does not equal the other.

Further, there is no player control by rule either during a throw-in, even though the thrower may be holding the ball.

Common sense says that you should closely watch for the administering official to start a visual count on a throw-in or free throw. Once they do so, don't blow the horn.

Last edited by Jurassic Referee; Tue Sep 07, 2010 at 05:55am.
Old Tue Sep 07, 2010, 07:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

IMO, the horn should (almost) never sound for subs. In any event, this clarification should be no change for the table.

Quote:
The only concern I can see concerning the rule changes is: 3-3-1a NOTE; 4-34-2: Clarified that when a substitute is not properly reported, the players in the game at the conclusion of the quarter/when the time-out was granted shall begin play for the new quarter/after the time-out. During an intermission, all team members are bench personnel for the purpose of penalizing unsporting behavior. As coaches seem to find a way to get the players in though not reported in/
What's the concern here? It's not a change -- too many coaches would send an asssistant to the table with subs during a quarter break ("we'll be going with the starters"). This was not in accordance with the rule. The table is always supposed to keep track of who is in the game.
Old Fri Sep 10, 2010, 01:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
IMO, the horn should (almost) never sound for subs. In any event, this clarification should be no change for the table.

What's the concern here? It's not a change -- too many coaches would send an asssistant to the table with subs during a quarter break ("we'll be going with the starters"). This was not in accordance with the rule. The table is always supposed to keep track of who is in the game.
Concerning the horn, I don't sound it unless the ball is dead. Concerning the horn "never" sounding for subs, how many officials watch the table during dead balls for subs?

I've been working more each season to minimize the horn usage. It's just having good sense of what's going on all around, instead of just in front of a person.

Bob, I can see the sense in this change as all players NEED to report to the table in order to be properly recorded in the book.
Old Fri Sep 10, 2010, 05:28am
9/11 - Never Forget

Quote:
Concerning the horn, I don't sound it unless the ball is dead. Concerning the horn "never" sounding for subs, how many officials watch the table during dead balls for subs?
If I don't take a quick glance at the table for subs at dead balls, and happen to miss one, my evaluators will have my a$$.
Old Fri Sep 10, 2010, 06:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
If I don't take a quick glance at the table for subs at dead balls, and happen to miss one, my evaluators will have my a$$.
Always check the "triangle" partner, partner, table.
Old Fri Sep 10, 2010, 06:19am
Esteemed Forum Member

Wave 'Em In ...

Quote:
Take a quick glance at the table for subs at dead balls.
Standard operating procedure here in my little corner of Connecticut.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Fri Sep 10, 2010, 06:24am
9/11 - Never Forget

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodwillRef View Post
Always check the "triangle" partner, partner, table.
Never heard of it referred to like this before, but me likey!

Filed away for later use.
Old Fri Sep 10, 2010, 07:52am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=chseagle;691704]Concerning the horn, I don't sound it unless the ball is dead. Concerning the horn "never" sounding for subs, how many officials watch the table during dead balls for subs?[quote]

They all should.

Quote:
Bob, I can see the sense in this change as all players NEED to report to the table in order to be properly recorded in the book.
Again, it's not a change. It's just a reminder that the break between quearters is different from the break between halves -- when a coach *can* make the line-up changes without the player reporting to the table.
Old Fri Sep 10, 2010, 08:08am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
All of them, in games that I work. 99+% of the time, I have a whistle before the table even thinks about blowing a horn.

At least once a year, I have someone on the table tell me I *cannot* bring subs in until they've properly reported and are squatting on the X. Right.
Old Fri Sep 10, 2010, 02:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Any official who has done more than a couple of games will be checking the table for subs during dead balls. One starts to tend checking when they get tired of coaches and the table yelling "SUBS!" Heck, when we get really good, we even start notice them while going up and down in transition.
Old Fri Sep 10, 2010, 02:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Standard operating procedure here in my little corner of Connecticut.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
All of them, in games that I work. 99+% of the time, I have a whistle before the table even thinks about blowing a horn.

At least once a year, I have someone on the table tell me I *cannot* bring subs in until they've properly reported and are squatting on the X. Right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
Any official who has done more than a couple of games will be checking the table for subs during dead balls. One starts to tend checking when they get tired of coaches and the table yelling "SUBS!" Heck, when we get really good, we even start notice them while going up and down in transition.
+1 on all of this. I check constantly.
Old Fri Sep 10, 2010, 04:30pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post

In my first season working HS ball, I had an overzealous table guy try to tell me the same thing when he got my attention to inform me a sub had come in too early. Pretty sure he was trying to get a T for the opponent (suburban public v catholic school rivalry sophomore game).