The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 14, 2010, 09:18am
Official Forum Member

Still learning...

...I have learned some valuable lessons the past couple of nights of working fall ball, and just wanted to pass them along to you so that you can have this knowledge first hand. I don't know what we would do without coaches and fans.

First, on a thrown ball that ends up in dead ball territory, did you know that you make awards according to the time of the pitch, rather than the time of the throw? And to think, all of these years I have been using the runners' positions at the time of the throw. Silly me.

On another play, I had my partner come to me for a pulled foot at first. (I was PU of course.) There was none, told him as much. Third out. As the coach from third comes walking by he loudly states "Did you even see the play? Thought not." He said it pretty much as one statement. I stopped him, informed him that not only did I see, and have a great vantage point, but that if he attempts to show up either myself or my partner again, he would be watching the rest of the game from the parking lot. His reply, "you can't do that. I am entirely within my rights to say anything about any call either of you make." I agreed that he was within his rights, and that I would be within mine according to the rule book when I sent him packing. Never heard another word the rest of the night.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Thu Oct 14, 2010, 10:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi View Post
...I have learned some valuable lessons the past couple of nights of working fall ball, and just wanted to pass them along to you so that you can have this knowledge first hand. I don't know what we would do without coaches and fans.

First, on a thrown ball that ends up in dead ball territory, did you know that you make awards according to the time of the pitch, rather than the time of the throw? And to think, all of these years I have been using the runners' positions at the time of the throw. Silly me.
There are some associations (USSSA, for one) that do award bases based on where runners were at the time of the pitch. While that doesn't apply to your sitch, you can kind of understand where some of these half-brained ideas come from.

Quote:
On another play, I had my partner come to me for a pulled foot at first. (I was PU of course.) There was none, told him as much. Third out. As the coach from third comes walking by he loudly states "Did you even see the play? Thought not." He said it pretty much as one statement. I stopped him, informed him that not only did I see, and have a great vantage point, but that if he attempts to show up either myself or my partner again, he would be watching the rest of the game from the parking lot. His reply, "you can't do that. I am entirely within my rights to say anything about any call either of you make." I agreed that he was within his rights, and that I would be within mine according to the rule book when I sent him packing. Never heard another word the rest of the night.
Good call, Blue.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Thu Oct 14, 2010, 10:14am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
What are you thinking by not applying a baseball rule to a softball game?
Old Thu Oct 14, 2010, 01:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
What are you thinking by not applying a baseball rule to a softball game?

Old Thu Oct 14, 2010, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp View Post
There are some associations (USSSA, for one) that do award bases based on where runners were at the time of the pitch. While that doesn't apply to your sitch, you can kind of understand where some of these half-brained ideas come from.

According to 8.7.F.Effect in the current USSSA FP Rules Book, the proper award should be two bases from the time of the throw. Don't know about USSSA SP.

Old Thu Oct 14, 2010, 01:34pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
There are some associations (USSSA, for one) that do award bases based on where runners were at the time of the pitch.
sez hoo ?
Old Thu Oct 14, 2010, 02:25pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
So ambiguous.

Were these baseball coaches masquerading as softball parents?
Old Thu Oct 14, 2010, 03:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
According to 8.7.F.Effect in the current USSSA FP Rules Book, the proper award should be two bases from the time of the throw. Don't know about USSSA SP.
Here's where:
Quote:
USSSA 8-5: Baserunners are entitled to advance without liability to be put out:
e. When the ball is in play and is overthrown (beyond the boundary lines) or is blocked.
EFFECT: Awarded bases shall be determined by the position of the baserunners at the time of the infraction.
EFFECT: For offensive equipment or an offensive player causing a blocked ball, the player closest to home plate is declared out, and all other runners must return to the last base touched when the ball becomes blocked.
1. The ball is dead. In all cases where a thrown ball goes into the spectators’ seats, goes over, through, or under any fence surrounding the playing field; hits any person or object not engaged in the game, including bats lying near benches, goes into the players benches, whether the ball rebounds onto the playing field or not, or remains in the meshes of any wire screen, each and every baserunner shall be awarded two (2) bases.
2. When the first throw is made by an infielder, two (2) bases shall be awarded. The award shall be governed by the position of each runner at the time the pitch was made; however, if all runners, including the batter-runner, have advanced at least one (1) base when the infielder makes the wild throw, on the first play after a pitch, the award shall be governed by the position of the runners, when the wild throw was made.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Old Thu Oct 14, 2010, 03:24pm
Official Forum Member

As you continue into "Fall Ball" you could also learn that any ties go to the runner and that the hands are part of the bat.
Old Thu Oct 14, 2010, 03:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelVA2000 View Post
As you continue into "Fall Ball" you could also learn that any ties go to the runner and that the hands are part of the bat.
And "She can do that... she's just blocking the plate!!"

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Oct 14, 2010, 03:53pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Here's where:
8-5 covers batters awarded 1st base.

There is no 8-7-f.

8-14-c covers two base awards and includes
3. "3. If a live thrown ball (not by a pitcher from the pitcher’s plate as in item D) goes into a stand for spectators, or a players’ bench, or over or through or lodges in a fence."

8-15 covers the timing and 8-15-c says "The time the ball left the hand of the thrower (in any situation other than A or B). A and B cover non-overthow cases.

source: USSSA fast pitch rulebook, 9th edition
http://www.usssa.com/usssa/usssa-gen...010FPRules.pdf
Old Thu Oct 14, 2010, 05:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
8-5 covers batters awarded 1st base.

There is no 8-7-f.

8-14-c covers two base awards and includes
3. "3. If a live thrown ball (not by a pitcher from the pitcher’s plate as in item D) goes into a stand for spectators, or a players’ bench, or over or through or lodges in a fence."

8-15 covers the timing and 8-15-c says "The time the ball left the hand of the thrower (in any situation other than A or B). A and B cover non-overthow cases.

source: USSSA fast pitch rulebook, 9th edition
http://www.usssa.com/usssa/usssa-gen...010FPRules.pdf
Right. That's the FP version. I was quoting the SP version.

Old Fri Oct 15, 2010, 08:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Right. That's the FP version. I was quoting the SP version.
Well....who umpires SP????

Old Fri Oct 15, 2010, 08:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
I was using an old casebook. Guess the rule number has changed.