View Single Post
Old Thu Oct 14, 2010, 09:18am
Official Forum Member

Still learning...

...I have learned some valuable lessons the past couple of nights of working fall ball, and just wanted to pass them along to you so that you can have this knowledge first hand. I don't know what we would do without coaches and fans.

First, on a thrown ball that ends up in dead ball territory, did you know that you make awards according to the time of the pitch, rather than the time of the throw? And to think, all of these years I have been using the runners' positions at the time of the throw. Silly me.

On another play, I had my partner come to me for a pulled foot at first. (I was PU of course.) There was none, told him as much. Third out. As the coach from third comes walking by he loudly states "Did you even see the play? Thought not." He said it pretty much as one statement. I stopped him, informed him that not only did I see, and have a great vantage point, but that if he attempts to show up either myself or my partner again, he would be watching the rest of the game from the parking lot. His reply, "you can't do that. I am entirely within my rights to say anything about any call either of you make." I agreed that he was within his rights, and that I would be within mine according to the rule book when I sent him packing. Never heard another word the rest of the night.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.